“very nice hotel”

Ranked #5 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Tokyo
“very nice hotel”
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Room was clean and comfortable. Nice service and gentle receptionist, good breakfast menu. If you're looking for a small luxury hotel, I definitely recommend Das Tyrol!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelloverTokyo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
UK
Reviewed 11 March 2009

Reservation: I booked through the Small Luxury Hotels website, which was reasonably easy to use. As a Club member, I got a complimentary bottle of wine. I emailed the hotel directly to confirm my reservation and also to request for non-smoking rooms etc. I received prompt and courteous replies from the receptionist, Sabine, who also offered to provide a car pick-up from the airport. This cost 39 euros (not cheap) but I took up the offer as I arrived rather late in the evening.

Check-in: Efficient and courteous and was given a map of Vienna. If you want to use the complimentary wi-fi, ask for the password at reception, it wasn't automatically offered. No porter service, and the life only fits 3 persons, so not really suitable if you have lots of luggage!

Room: Not all rooms are equal, some are slightly smaller, some have showers only, some with baths and showers. There are a few smoking rooms available. I stayed in room 55 which was a corner room with a bath. From the floor plan, I noticed that the corner rooms are slightly larger. I loved the room, which was clean, quiet and spacious (by European standards). It actually looked nicer than the pictures on the hotel's own website. The electronic shutters also managed to keep the room nice and dark to sleep in. The bathroom was well-litted and also spacious. Reasonable toiletries (shower gel, conditioner, lotion, soap) were provided and replaced daily. Bathrobes and slippers also provided. The bed was king-sized, which came with soft (too soft maybe?) pillows and a nice fluffy duvet. As I was there on business, I really appreciated the free and fast wi-fi. Flat screen TV showed mainly European channels, with 4 English channels (new movies, old movies, BBC, and CNN). My only minor complaints about the room was that the lighting was slightly dim and I caught whiffs of cigarette smoke, which i presume came through the central air-conditioner vent.

Location: 3 minutes from the Ubahn, 2 minutes from the museum quarter (loved the Leopold), directly on the Mariahilfer, which is the main shopping street in Vienna. Note, however, that Vienna is not one of the better shopping cities in Europe. Didn't try any of the nearby restaurants, so can't comment, and yes, there is a Mcdonalds across the road.

Breakfast: Perfectly adequate European style brekkie with bread, pastries, cheeses, hams, cereal, and other cold stuff. What's unusual is that they also offer a freshly cooked and delicious omelette.

Check-out: Again, coolly efficient. Although, I was not asked the usual questions liked whether I enjoyed my stay or if I needed a taxi to the arport.

Overall, great stay, loved the room and the location and the free wi-fi. And my complimentary wine was confiscated by airport security, so I can't tell you if its any good.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank TravellerBear
London
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Stayed at Das Tyrol last Valentine's weekend with my boyfriend for 2 nights. It must be one of the best city hotels I have stayed in so far. The reception staff were incredibily helpful and provided us with a number of suggestions on good restaurants nearby. The rooms were of a good size considering it was a central city hotel, with plenty of toiletries, a bathrobe and slippers available. A good breakfast selection is provided to keep you going until lunchtime.
The hotel is in a central location, with the main shopping areas, main sites of interest, galleries and museums are all within a short walking distance.
Vienna is a very beautiful city and if you plan to visit, I recommend staying at Das Tyrol.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
PHILADELPHIA
Reviewed 11 December 2008

This hotel was perfect. The location made all the sites in Vienna easy to get to. The rooms were great. The breakfast buffet was marvelous. The service was exemplary. Recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Liked — Location, Cleanliness, Breakfast!!!
  • Disliked — Not a tthing
  • Stayed October 2007
1 Thank JTB9110
Chester, UK
Reviewed 23 November 2008

We loved this hotel! It is friendly, efficient, charming, stylish, excellently located and devoid of any corporate chain feel. They have thought of all the little personal touches that make a difference, the breakfast is exceptional and altogether we decided we'd like to move in! From the welcoming receptionist after a long and delayed flight, to the great shower, the little choccy on my pillow and the quirky art-work - it was the perfect choice for a special visit to Vienna with my sister and our partners. It really made our visit perfect and I would return in a flash and recommend without reservation.

• Liked — contemporary comfort
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Louandbru
chicago
Reviewed 16 November 2008

I chose Das Tyrol based on reviews from Tripadvisor. My husband and I spent 4 nights and it was great! The rooms were very nice (including the bathroom) and the service was great. The breakfasts were unbelievable as I had read in the reviews. Also the location was great for getting around Vienna--near museum quarter and right near the metro line. I cannot rave about it more--It is a very classy place especially for the price and if we went back to Vienna we would stay again. Also the photos were very accurate and the artwork in this boutique-like hotel was neat.

• Liked — beautiful rooms, great breakfast, and location
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lawrice
The Uintas
Reviewed 9 November 2008

For our 25th wedding anniversary , after HOURS of research, we stayed at the Hotel Das Tyrol for several days in September . Let me cut to the chase and say , if you have the opportunity , PLEASE STAY HERE! The HDT was just as advertised: centrally located within easy walking distance of both the U2 and U3 undergound transportation. Eating establishments abound within walking distance. The hotel rooms are immaculate, equipped with fantastic restrooms, excellent bedding and FREE wireless internet! PLUS, the complimentary breakfast was incredible! The front desk was very helpful with supplying both directions and at making dining suggestions , etc. Great job HDT ! We can't return soon enough!

• Liked — Attention to every detail!
  • Disliked — NOTHING!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple