“Surprise!”

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Surprise!”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We found this place accidentally and it was such a nice surprise. It was an official holiday but it was open way past the official working hour. The let us in and we stayed for like hours. Almost ALL books are in English and the people working there are very very friendly!

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Maria G

Singapore, Singapore
311 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 264 helpful votes
“Unique”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Pros: It's not mass market, and it covers a good range of topics. The shop also has character, which blends in well with its very quiet surroundings -during the day at least, since it's surrounded by bars that I'd imagine to be open at night.

Cons: The bookstore wasn't quite as big as I expected, nor was the collection as eclectic as I was led to believe. Granted, it was an English bookstore in a German-speaking country, but there are several other quaint bookstores like these in other parts of the (English-speaking) world that make this one not exactly worth the effort if you don't have much time in Vienna.

A 300 meter walk from Schwedenplatz station, but also a convenient stopover if you're in the Stephansplatz area.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Ming H
Nederland, Texas, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A Magical Place!”
Reviewed 25 December 2012

On a recent stay in Vienna, my sister and I managed to find this charming bookstore without very much difficulty, knowing when we saw the small steps up to the next street level we were close by! Could spend forever there, browsing through the eclectic array of tomes. Only bought three though, since we were on foot and I knew I would have to carry any purchases for most of the day. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend seeking this place out when you are in Vienna!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank RonaldGHanks
Amman
169 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Bookshop with character”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Shakespeare and Co Bookshop was unknown to my taxi driver so finding it in a small street at the top of a flight of stairs was the beginning of an adventure. The charming exterior of the shop opened to an even more enchanting interior. Books reached up to the ceiling and could be reached by a ladder system which left you perched high up amongst stacks of books. The friendly proprietor happily helped me search for the titles I wanted and showed me around further rooms of children's books at the back. The collection is mainly paper back but is full of pleasant surprises.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank John B
Chicago, Illinois
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“a touch of English in historic Vienna”
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Admittedly, when I first saw there was a Shakespeare and Company in Vienna, I assumed it was affiliated with the original. But it's not. Even so, it was great to find an all english bookstore in the heart of Vienna with a collection of books not typically found in the US. Think quaint, not Barnes and Noble, but also think unique. Worth a peek if in that part of Vienna. Very near the Swedenplatz tram/metro stop and near some interesting sites within the surrounding Jewish Quarter.

Visited April 2011