“Excellent, value for money”

Courtyard by Marriott Vienna Schoenbrunn
Ranked #74 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent, value for money”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I booked 6 nights direct with the hotel and thought the price very reasonable (about £63/night). Throughout our stay the staff were excellent, very polite and helpful and seemed to genuinely want to make it a pleasant stay. The only problem we had was our safe didn't work but the staff were straight up to the room to fix it so couldn't ask better than that. The room itself was a good size, the beds were super comfy and there is an electric metal shutter on the window to help keep out light and noise. However, like others have said, we had a roadside room and the noise wasn't intrusive. I did request a high up floor though so that maybe helped. There wasn't really any traffic in the night anyway. The only noise problem was the hotel air conditioning and the lift which was outside our room. I'm a very light sleeper and had I not had ear-plugs it would've bothered me but my husband is 'normal' and slept fine. I'm sure it's switched off at some point but as I had my ear-plugs in I don't know what time. The bathroom was well equipped (my husband appreciated the pull out shaving mirror) and clean. And the air-conditioning was most appreciated!!

We ate in the restaurant a couple of times for dinner (first and last nights), the food was delicious and the service again was excellent. (although I wasn't impressed with adding a service charge onto the bill AND expecting a tip!) We didn't stay in for breakfast but instead caught the underground to the next stop (Hietzing) as there were numerous places to eat. Our favourite was on the corner of AmPlatz (head towards the entrance to the palace park) where you could sit outside under the trees in a partitioned off area. They had a menu in English if needed (actually many places did), very nice. A word of warning about Viennese coffee it comes in tiny cups so don't expect much of a drink!

The underground is brilliant, we bought a weekly ticket for 14 euros seeing as we were there so long which you could use on the trams and busses as well. Excellent value, we didn't have to wait more than a few minutes anywhere either (puts our transport to shame!) If it's a nice sunny day I'd recommend getting the tube to the Alte Donau (U1 I think), turn left and head over the road, there are lots of bars and eating places along the waterside which makes for a relaxing afternoon! If you turn right it takes you to the park where the tower is with a revolving cafe & restaurant.

All in all Vienna is a fantastic beautiful city and this hotel is ideally situated. Because of the transport links (literally 3 mins walk away but you can't hear it from the hotel, don't worry!) you can get anywhere you want easily. The palace grounds are lovely as well so you can have a pleasant wander through them on the way to get your breakfast rather than getting the tram as we did. I'd also recommend the zoo, I've never been anywhere you get so close to the animals, amazing! I don't know how they don't escape! And wonderful to see pandas as I'd never seen them before.

I would also suggest getting the no's 1 and 2 trams round the ringstrasse (rather than the expensive ringtram) using your travel card. You get a good view of the city and it's a good way of getting your bearings.

We will be going back some year and will definitely stay at this hotel again when we do.

Room Tip: I requested a room high up which I think reduced traffic noise, I wouldn't bother paying more fo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissusE_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2012

A nice little hotel close to Schoenbrunn Palace.

A good clean hotel, with an efficient staff (in that detached Austrian way) not far from Schoenbrunn Palace.

Easy walk from the train station, and the train station itself is only a few stops from the city center.

Well furnished, comfortable rooms.

One negative would be the lack of free internet - even the lobby PC terminals aren't free. This was the only hotel in our European holiday that did not provide some sort of free internet access - a little disappointing in this day and age.

Other than the Palace, there's not much to see around the area. In fact, the area around the hotel can be quite scary at night time - so definitely take that into consideration when making your choice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Max M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I got a deal on Priceline, and was really surprised to see how nice the hotel was. Yes it is a bit outside the city center, but it is right by a Ubahn stop, so you can be in the center in no time. The hotel was easy to find--I was alone--and my room was quiet and clean. The only "con" is location, but this hotel would be much more expensive if located in the center. Also, it is right next to the Schonbrunn, which can be explored for hours, if not days!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
San Gwann, Malta
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We have been to Vienna a number of times so we were not looking for a hotel in or near to the Ring or the Prater. We just wanted somewhere comfortable and not too far from the center and this hotel just fit the bill. Close to a metro station and to one of Vienna's biggest attractions - Schonnbrunn while, at the same time, quiet and peaceful, we really enjoyed our stay there. Whenever we wanted to visit any part of Vienna we just planned our journey, crossed the road and took the underground to wherever we wanted the, when we returned, in five minutes we were back in our room.

Room Tip: I assume all the rooms are as quiet as the one we had.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Fort Pierce, Florida
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Unless I'm just not familiar enough with hotels in Vienna, I'd have to say that this Courtyard Marriott really blew my mind. There are plenty of "full service" hotels that don't meet this Courtyard even half way. Of course, the proximity to The Palace itself has to be the star, #1 reason to want to stay here. Early morning hikes /or runs through Schonbrunn's ample gardens, afternoon Marionetten shows, evening concerts, and the best apfelstrudle in town, you won't be disappointed in the location. To even imagine Mozart, standing in front of Empress Maria Theresia playing the piano for the first time, only a few steps from your door, brings goosebumps. If you're a pianist or a music lover, you're going to have to pinch yourself occasionally to remind yourself that you're really here, at the mecca of music central. So, to be able to stay at a reasonably priced hotel, which is clean, up-to-date, streamlined, and offering all of the services of a normal, full service hotel while at this location makes it quite a find. Not to mention the fact that the rooms feel quite modern, the bar is a great place to meet a friend or a business partner, and the staff are extremely polite and friendly. Note: I lost my credit card while in Vienna and the front desk personnel were quick to arrange for the person who found it to return it. After all was said and done, I didn't lose one cent over the issue and the gentleman who returned the card as well as the hotel personnel were the primary reason for that whole incident being just that: an incident, NOT a tragedy. Also, your proximity to the Vienna Subway is only 0.1 mile from the hotel (U4 Schonbrunn). It's easy to hop on and trek to the City Center or the Business District using the Subway (which are only minutes away using the subway). And, it's a lot less expensive than parking a car at the hotel.

Room Tip: It's usually best to go for an upper level. But, if you don't like heights, just keep in min...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank BuzeeBee
Virginia
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed here right after christmas and it was a good choice. The Ubahn is right near this hotel and it takes a few minutes to travel downtown on the same line. In addition, it is quite easy to walk to the Schoenbrunn Palace. This hotel is a great value.

Room Tip: The best deal is prepaying online 21 days in advance. I saved over $40 per night that way from my o...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed for 6 days in Vienna for a family celebration.
The Hotel is next to Schoenbrunn palace and just round the corner from the U4 underground station Schoenbrunn. It is good value for money and a great base to explore Vienna. It takes less than 20 minutes to get to the centre of Vienna. The rooms are well equipped and even the rooms overlooking the street are very quiet. The staff are friendly and helpful.
The only gripe I have is they still charge exorbitant ammounts to use the internet. This should be included in the price.
If you need to use the internet there is a place in Meidlinger Hauptstrasse a few minutes walk away where you can check your mail at a fraction of the cost charged by the hotel.
For breakfast turn left when leaving the hotel, about 5 minutes down the road opposite the Meidlinger Hauptstrasse U bahn is a breadshop called "Der Mann" that does great breakfasts and coffee and cake at very reasonable prices.
This is the second time we stayed at the hotel and we will certainly return on our next trip to Vienna.

Room Tip: Get a high floor - the front rooms are very quiet so there is no need to pay the premium for a court...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple