“Great stay”

wombats CITY HOSTEL VIENNA "The Lounge"
Ranked #7 of 219 Speciality Lodging in Vienna
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night in January and it was great. We gotten an upgrade from 4 dorm bedroom to 2 double bedrooms so that was wonderful, we also got free drink vouchers..the location is perfect since hostel is located in mariahilfer strasse. The staf is very helpful and on mondays, wednesdays and fridays they have a free walking tour. Wi fi is free and signal is good on the second floor. The only thing missing in my opinion is a tv..even do this is a hostel and it is normal that there is no tv, if you are an addict like me you will too miss not having a tv. Room is basic, but as I said, it is a hostel. Overall a good 4+ for this hostel.

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed 24 November 2013

This hostel has some excellent points and a fair few let downs.
Positives are that it is super clean, there are lockers in each room which could fit my entire suitcase, so my belongings were always safe, individual reading lights and power sockets for each bed and there's excellent self-catering facilities - there's even free tea, pasta and herbs!
There are a few negatives however. Because this is a chain hostel it feels quite clinical, atmosphere is definitely lacking. There's huge spaces for people to hang out at, and there spread around the hostel, so people don't really congregate, making it harder to meet other travellers. The bar is in the basement which at first seems like a good idea, but it meant that people had to specifically go down there, so it was often quite empty - the bar tenders would be watching tv because there was noone to serve. The wifi was down almost the entire time I was there. I stayed 6 nights and the few times that it did work, it was so incredibly slow that I didn't even bother and just sat at a Maccas down the street. Breakfast is a bit crappy, for 3.90 they provide some bread, a few different spreads and cold cuts, cheese and a few different cereals. The juice and milk and everything is always warm because it sits out all morning. I only had the breakfast one day because I felt it wasn't very good value.
Lastly, one of the cleaners is so over friendly it was almost threatening. At first I thought he was just being nice, but he would use his key to let himself into my room to chat with me when he knew I was in there, which was totally inappropriate. No knock, just let himself in. He also gave me fifty shades of grey to read - I hope he didn't actually know what that book was about because again, it's totally inappropriate. It was so uncomfortable that for the last few days of my stay I made sure that I had left the hostel for the entire time that I knew he'd be there, which isn't a very nice way to feel.

Overall it was just an okay stay. I generally felt that I, and my belongings were safe, and the facilities were really good, but there are some definite negatives.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I staýed at this hostel for in Nov 2013 and i'm glad it wasn't for long.
The entire time I stayed the wifi was down which should be a priority in a youth hostel. On my first night I asked reception what was happening with it and was rudely snapped at that it was fixed now. I checked and then went back and she was extremely rude again which started to irratate me.

It was an average stop-over hostel and I would only stay here again if I really needed too. The room was alright, again average. I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm and not anz huge complaints there.

Bar was good and breakfast was absaloutly brilliant. My saving grace.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank jessicab953
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here as part of a Top Deck tour. We stayed in 4 bed rooms which were quite nice with two bunks and a nice bathroom for the 4 our us. As for location the hostel was on a street with plenty of shops and restaurants as well as being close to bars and the train station was only a short walk down the road. The basement bar was a great place for our group to hang out for the rest of the night and because it was in the basement the noise did not travel to the rooms which was good for those trying to sleep. the drinks were also quite cheap.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

This hostel is my fav after years of travelling. Cleanest ever, quiet for sleeping, great breakfast, fantastic location and friendly staff. Did I mention cheap?!?!? I would definitely recommend this place and would stay here again. I was here for 4 nights

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 October 2013

As you can always expect from a Wombats hostel - it's just plain great. Clean rooms, wide common area, a good breakfast and a cool bar. The staff was very nice as well and helped me find my way in the city,
It was very easy to reach all the major sites either by walking or by taking the public transportation.
I will be back :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank byron33
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Great location 2 blocks from the Metro. I stayed in a 6-bed dorm that was generally clean, with nice lockers and beds. My only compliant was the bathroom floor was Soaked after anyone took a shower and you pretty much needed shoes to use the bathroom at this point. It was cleaned daily so this was helpful. Generally a great experience.

Also great breakfast and a nice in-hostel bar to socialize. Great restaurant nearby to have some wiener schnitzel and a beer.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo