“Awesome”

wombats CITY HOSTEL VIENNA "The Lounge"
Ranked #6 of 208 Speciality Lodging in Vienna
“Awesome”
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Really good hostel set up. Great vibes and wifi. Perfect location as so close to the metro. Breakfast for €3.90 is so worth it. We had a 4 bed + own bathroom which was perfect. 24 hour reception is so useful. Bit of confusion over the room booking so make sure you get what your pay for but staff were pretty helpful :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lizzyjanderdon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Superclean
Warm and helpful staff-one of them was willing to assist when im having trouble with sleeping on the top bed of the double deckers. Took the trouble to look for other alternative. The other helps me out to get me a cola when the vending machine was broken. All of them have nice smiles on their faces all the time (even at wee hours) and some are cute too ;)
easy checkin and checkout
Nice ambiance at the lounge -lively
Good location

tried to think of negative elements? NONE

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This is the first hostel I've ever stayed at and I must admit I was not looking forward to that. However, I was pleasently surprised. The hostel was very clean, the staff was very helpful and all in all it was a great base for a week-long classtrip to Vienna.

They also offered guides to show us around Vienna. Our guide Charles was FANTASTIC. I would like to get a guided tour from him the next time I come to Vienna because he knew so much about the city and so many small things you probably would never know unless you lived there. Hatt off to you, Charles.

It was also well-located, close to the u-bahn (subway) and had a pretty good continental breakfast. Bonus; it's basically right on Mariahilferstrasse, aka. the main shopping street.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Brela, Croatia
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night in January and it was great. We gotten an upgrade from 4 dorm bedroom to 2 double bedrooms so that was wonderful, we also got free drink vouchers..the location is perfect since hostel is located in mariahilfer strasse. The staf is very helpful and on mondays, wednesdays and fridays they have a free walking tour. Wi fi is free and signal is good on the second floor. The only thing missing in my opinion is a tv..even do this is a hostel and it is normal that there is no tv, if you are an addict like me you will too miss not having a tv. Room is basic, but as I said, it is a hostel. Overall a good 4+ for this hostel.

• Stayed January 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

This hostel has some excellent points and a fair few let downs.
Positives are that it is super clean, there are lockers in each room which could fit my entire suitcase, so my belongings were always safe, individual reading lights and power sockets for each bed and there's excellent self-catering facilities - there's even free tea, pasta and herbs!
There are a few negatives however. Because this is a chain hostel it feels quite clinical, atmosphere is definitely lacking. There's huge spaces for people to hang out at, and there spread around the hostel, so people don't really congregate, making it harder to meet other travellers. The bar is in the basement which at first seems like a good idea, but it meant that people had to specifically go down there, so it was often quite empty - the bar tenders would be watching tv because there was noone to serve. The wifi was down almost the entire time I was there. I stayed 6 nights and the few times that it did work, it was so incredibly slow that I didn't even bother and just sat at a Maccas down the street. Breakfast is a bit crappy, for 3.90 they provide some bread, a few different spreads and cold cuts, cheese and a few different cereals. The juice and milk and everything is always warm because it sits out all morning. I only had the breakfast one day because I felt it wasn't very good value.
Lastly, one of the cleaners is so over friendly it was almost threatening. At first I thought he was just being nice, but he would use his key to let himself into my room to chat with me when he knew I was in there, which was totally inappropriate. No knock, just let himself in. He also gave me fifty shades of grey to read - I hope he didn't actually know what that book was about because again, it's totally inappropriate. It was so uncomfortable that for the last few days of my stay I made sure that I had left the hostel for the entire time that I knew he'd be there, which isn't a very nice way to feel.

Overall it was just an okay stay. I generally felt that I, and my belongings were safe, and the facilities were really good, but there are some definite negatives.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I staýed at this hostel for in Nov 2013 and i'm glad it wasn't for long.
The entire time I stayed the wifi was down which should be a priority in a youth hostel. On my first night I asked reception what was happening with it and was rudely snapped at that it was fixed now. I checked and then went back and she was extremely rude again which started to irratate me.

It was an average stop-over hostel and I would only stay here again if I really needed too. The room was alright, again average. I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm and not anz huge complaints there.

Bar was good and breakfast was absaloutly brilliant. My saving grace.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jessicab953
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here as part of a Top Deck tour. We stayed in 4 bed rooms which were quite nice with two bunks and a nice bathroom for the 4 our us. As for location the hostel was on a street with plenty of shops and restaurants as well as being close to bars and the train station was only a short walk down the road. The basement bar was a great place for our group to hang out for the rest of the night and because it was in the basement the noise did not travel to the rooms which was good for those trying to sleep. the drinks were also quite cheap.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends