“great tour in a wine valley”

Discover Vienna Tours
Small-Group Vienna Highlights Walking Tour
Ranked #4 of 40 Food & Drink in Vienna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Specializing in small group and private tours in and around Vienna. With over 11 years experience, we pride ourselves on showing you Vienna like no other tour operator.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 18 May 2014

It was very interesting and beautiful tour in Wachau valley. It was not difficult and we enjoy riding the bicycle. All wineries was small and unique and wine tasting. The bbg was very nice. Although it was raining during the day- it was very beautiful with a lot of clouds around the mountains and our guide Ester was in very good mood in spite of weather. She was very friendly and told us interesting stories about the region. Thanks a lot for a such memorable day.

Marina and Roma

1  Thank Marina G

Reviewed 16 May 2014

First, I agree Sheldon's bell was just bad:)) Bethany (my daughter) and Sheldon were on this trip. It was a challenge for me b/c I am out of shape, but I was able to do it and was never made to feel I was holding the group back.
I was hesitant to do this b/c I thought it would be too hard, it was not easy on the small inclines but I felt really great when we finished.
The stops are frequent and well planned. Adam is very knowledgeable about the area and the wines we tasted. Rick and Esther were assisting for training and they were very good too, friendly and helpful.
You start by taking a train from Spittlau station, easy to find on the Vienna metro system. Ride is about an hour and very scenic. You pick up bikes in Krems and start the ride. It is about 17 miles total.
The Danube River Valley is just gorgeous. We stopped in several small villages, had time for a coffee or shopping. One winery was up a steep set of steps and the views were great.
Lunch at the small winery was ample and very delicious, choice of salad, potato salad and several meats. Also a vegetarian option.
A ferry across the Danube was fun and then we headed back to Krems, mostly flat riding. A stop at a beach, while too cold for us, would be great in the summer.
We turned in our bikes and had time for coffee/pastries by the train station if we wanted.
Adam is very good at what he does. He has been doing it for a while and it shows.
Bike has a basket with helmet and poncho in case it rains. I would suggest bringing a water bottle. You can wait and buy one at first stop too. Bike seat was very comfortable.
Highly recommend this and it was a highlight for us.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great value! The excursion includes round trip train tix (about an hour outside Vienna city center), rental bikes and the best part: Wine!! For an extra 10 euros you can enjoy a BBQ lunch in a winemakers home-- the lunch was really enjoyable.

Our guide was friendly and knowledgeable. Easy biking with plenty of rests and photo ops. Would definitely recommend this tour to anyone visiting Vienna!

1  Thank Bethany K
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I went on the Wachau Valley bike tour and had a blast of a time. Fantastic value for money, the tour started with a very comfortable train ride, followed by a day of non-strenuous cycling around the Wachau Valley and Danube River, where it was essentially one postcard-perfect moment after another.

Stopped for a barbecue lunch - with wine, of course - at a local resident's backyard (literally), which was charming, intimate and quaint. What followed was more wine at a local vineyard and more meandering around the ridiculously beautiful valley.

We had about 8 people in our group that day, which was a perfect size. The pace was easy, different levels of fitness easily catered to and a guide that was personable, pleasant and informative.

All in all, this was the highlight of my first trip to Austria and would highly, highly recommend this tour to anyone visiting Vienna.

p.s.
One complaint - my bicycle had a terrible bell that gave the most awful piddly ring. :-)

2  Thank SheldyC
Adamsmeister, Owner at Discover Vienna Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I´m happy to hear you enjoyed the tour. Just so you know, i have since changed the bell to one of the those less feminine, German Speaking Bells. :)

Happy Travels!
Adam

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I spent a day and a half with Discover Vienna Tours on our visit to Vienna, and had a great time. The tours were in Mercedes minivans, which I much prefer to touring in a big bus. We were picked up from the train station, taken to our hotel, and spent half the day touring Vienna. The following day we toured the Wachau with Adam as our guide, and this was by far the highlight of our trip. He planned the perfect itinerary for us and we visited places we would never have discovered on our own. We drank schnapps and wine in an old wine cellar tucked away in the hills, sampled organic wine and cheese with Adam`s friend, ate lunch at a beautiful winery and had coffee and cake on the boat to Melk. Adam was very knowledgable and Discover Vienna made the whole experience easy, enjoyable and unforgettable.

2  Thank CLeeG78