“Lovely room with decent access to the center”

Marien-hof Appartement-Hotel
Ranked #289 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Gilbert, AZ
“Lovely room with decent access to the center”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Marien-hof is situated in an area of Vienna sometimes referred to as "Little Istanbul". It's on a very quiet street, which is ideal. It is a three-minute walk to the high street, and there are trams and subways close by for easy access to the city. The room was actually bigger than I expected, and the interior was very nice. I only stayed for one night, but slept very well! While it is not in the center of Vienna, for the price it is worth staying a little outside - Vienna is not a big city, so it's a quick ride into town.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Cameron R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Czech first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

stayed here because close to where family live, its close to underground and not too far from vienna centre, have stayed here before and would stay again, nice big bedroom also small kitchen, also close to millenium tower lots shops and great coffee bars, 15 min walk

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Görlitz
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We had an excellent stay in Vienna for a weekend. The hotel and the garage were o.k. The walk to the nearby subway took only 5 minutes and we reached the historical center of Vienna after 15 minutes. The world heritage sites were very impressive. We can also recommend concerts in the Vienna Music Hall with the Mozart orchestra.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We rented a family room for our family of 5 and were very disappointed. The toilet/shower was a modular unit that looked like it came from a cruise ship. Very small, but everything functioned. The door was tempered glass (frosted, but covered with blue adhesive plastic so it is not transparent ) with a gap of about 10 inches at both the top and bottom. The feeling was very similar to using the stall at a public toilet. The beds were sagging in the middle. The quoted price for a breakfast is 10 euros each. This seems very high but since hotel prices in Vienna are so high I suspect that they feel they can charge this. The quality of the facilities were below expectations and not considered a very good value, but since Vienna is so pricey that is why this location can charge what they do.
A Turkish bakery and coffee shop is two blocks away and the five of us had breakfast and two servings of coffee for under 30 euros. We ate at a local establishment twice and received huge portions. Both times the check for five (including beer and wine) came to about 60 euros total.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Vienna hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Marion-hof 10 minute walk from U6 station, and 20 minute walk to U4. With luggage, not so fun.
The hotel was quiet (it didn’t seem like many guests were staying), and the advertised restaurant never seemed open. Breakfast was not included in the price of room (which I have become used to) and I didn’t want to pay 12 euro for a breakfast that I could buy at a supermarket (Billa was conveniently just down the road) for less than 5, and could store in my minibar for multiple days.
I may have been paranoid, but while the area is quiet, I did not go out (or come home) after dark as I am female travelling alone and did not feel safe.
The room had kettle (that had to be moved to the bedside table to actually use) but no tea, coffee or milk until asked for. It had a double bed, but the bed only had one side made up as a “single room”. It felt very strange. The room was very light even after dark as there are streetlights right outside. Light sleepers (like myself) may have issues with this. Block out curtains would be an improvement. The free wifi was ok, it didn’t drop out too much for me. The floor was creaky, and I felt glad I was on lowest floor so as to not annoy people downstairs. I did not try the TV. The bathroom was nice and spacious. I liked it.
A cleaner came in every day, but only seemed to make the bed (as in fold up doona, not change sheets) and empty the bin. The dirty mug, glass and spoon left on the table were not cleaned or replaced. The bathroom not cleaned (could still see my hair stuck to basin and shower – I know, I’m gross) during my stay.
The reception staff were nice, friendly, and helpful, when I could find them. Definitely not 24 hour reception. They could not sell me tickets for anything, like at other hotels and I had to go to the Information Centre in the city.
I would recommend staying somewhere closer to the city, and paying extra if needed. I went on a tour and the guide had never even heard of my hotel, but was talking to everyone else on the tour about their hotels, he seemed to know everything.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank missfreakykitty
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Vienna is hideously expensive for hotels, so let's be honest, you're not going to get much for 75 euros a night in this town.

To be fair, we found the Marien-Hof to be clean and reasonably convenient for public transport connections. We also had a useful kitchen area where we could make drinks and snacks.

On the other hand, after spending even a short amount of time in our third-floor apartment, it was hard not to become swiftly depressed by the tacky decor, creaky laminate flooring, and cheap, dated furniture, some of which looked like it had been rescued from a skip, circa 1958.

Breakfast was charged for separately, and, at 12 euros a head, seemed excessive. The tiny bathroom was functional, although it was uniformly clad (walls, floor and ceiling) in a vibrant orange-coloured plastic material which could possibly induce headaches, rather like flash photography, if you stayed in there too long.

The pathetically weak wi-fi internet connection, although free, was next to useless. It only worked intermittently and at a speed best described as glacial.

The sound on the ancient TV in our bedroom was inaudible if you were sitting more than 18 inches away from the screen. No English language channels were available.

Despite leaving the windows open all day and night, we could never remove that faintly musty and decaying atmosphere that tends to pervade all old buildings. Outside it was not particularly warm, but the apartment just seemed to gather heat, particularly at night. I certainly would not want to spend any time in here when the weather is really hot.

We stayed for 4 nights, and never saw nor heard another soul in residence, the place appeared to be deserted.

One thing to bear in mind: I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they make their way unaccompanied at night back to the Marien-Hof from the Jagerstrasse U-bahn station, a walk which involves the negotiation of some mean-looking back streets.

Overall I think it's worth investing more on better quality accommodation, particularly if you're spending more than a couple of days in Vienna, and you want more than a bed and a base.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dsmale
Linköping, Sverige
Reviewed 8 March 2011

The receptiongirl was very positive and truly helpful and gave us good advices regarding restaurants in the area. She also took her time to book restaurants even if it was late in the evening.

The room was very spatious and cleans. Sheets, furniture and the bathroom was/ felt like brand new. The room had a minibar where you can store your own breakfast.
One negative aspect regarding the room is that it was perhaps not so cozy. Very bright and clean but almost like a hospital feeling. More paintings etc would give the room a more personal feeling.

The hotel lies close to the U4 and U6 U-bahn station and it takes some 10-13 minutes to walk the distance. And at the U-bahn you can acess the entire city in a matter of minutes, it takes only some two changes of subway lines before you are at the airport-station. The hotel lies in a fairly quiet surroundings - at night you can hear a couple of cars but not at all disturbing.

What we liked the most about the hotel was the service from the staff - very helpful indeed. We also felt that the room gave very good value for the money.
What we liked the least was that the room was not so cozy .

We never tried the breakfast but it seemed expensive to pay 12Euros/person when you can go to the nearest shop and buy a good breakfast for two persons for some 8Euros.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple