“A really nice place for a good sleep!”

Pension 5haus - Funfhaus
Pension 5haus - Funfhaus
Ranked #81 of 110 Vienna B&B and Inns
Tartu, Estonia
“A really nice place for a good sleep!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

The pension fünfhaus is located just 10min walk from the Westbahnhof rail station. It is easy to find and the staff is helpful. The facilities are clean and nice. The rooms that I stayed in were really big! It is a really nice place to stay at if you just want a really long night sleep, it is really quite all around, no fuzz. The breakfast is not big, just a bagel, but the coffee is nice and will get you going for the first hours on your trip.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

This was a pretty inexpensive hotel to stay at, therefore not so nice. We had an apartment with 4 people and the beds and linens were fine, towels were quite scratchy, and tile floors made it a bit un-homey. The hotel was pretty close to the West Bahnhof (west train station) which made it easy to get the underground trains to go anywhere, but not so close to the city center. We ended up walking to the city center down an non-quaint commercially lined street - about a 25-30 min walk.

Breakfast included coffee or tea and two rolls with either butter/marmalade or nutella. Nothing to write home about.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Michelle M

Travellers are raving about these Vienna hotels

Kolkata
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stayed in this hotel for three nights. It is not actually a hotel, it is a house (haus) that has been utilized and rented for accommodation. This is 0.8 km from Vienna (Wien) Westbahnhof station. From Westbahnhof station, go to the direction of Schonbrunn and this house is on the 7th street right on Mariahilferstabe. This is very calm and quiet area. Westbahnhof station is connected with long distance trains, S-Bahn and U-Bahn trains (Line U3 and Line U6). So a traveler can catch train and go anywhere from here. While booking this house, people must be very careful. Here reservation cannot be cancelled free of charge. Minimum cancellation cost is 25 percent of the total price of the reservation and it will be charged. For no show, 100 percent of the total price of the reservation will be charged. In the booking voucher, it was mentioned breakfast is included in the room rate. I had a very bad experience of its breakfast menu. This is worst in my lifetime. I have never experienced such kind of breakfast. They give only two pieces of loaf, one butter and jam pouch each, tea or coffee by order only. An old lady serves this. These are placed on the table except butter. When you sit in your seat, that old lady brings only one pouch of butter from kitchen. You cannot ask any extra. Even they do not provide juice also. No eggs, no fruit etc. Does it mean complimentary breakfast? Shame, Shame! It is better to have breakfast outside.

I stayed in this hotel in single room. Bed is not so good. Room and bathroom are moderately clean. The room has TV but no remote control. For TV remote control, you have to deposit Euro 20.00 at the reception desk which is refundable at the time of check-out. This is very funny. Now-a-days who is going to steal remote control? I had to pay the room rent by cash only as they say that their terminal for credit card is out of order for seven days. I do not know whether it is true or false. I doubt that they take room rent by cash only.

All the ladies in the reception desk are not good. They are very rude, not soft spoken. They give room key which is common for room as well as for the main gate. If you come late in the night, you have open main gate by this room key only. The gentleman in the night shift is very rough in talking. One night after return to this house I had put my bag on the front desk and he shouted at me not to keep bag here. Is this the way to talk with valued customers? There is no fan and air condition in this hotel. Particularly in summer the room is very hot. This hotel has 24 hours reception desk.

I do not recommend staying in this house, because of practically no breakfast, no politeness within the staff, far away location, high cancellation charge, no good restaurant nearby. Better to find hotel in Wien Mitte area.

Room Tip: I do recommend no to stay in this house, hence question of choosing good room does not arise.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ArghyaKolkata
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I booked this room via hrs.com. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. My room for 45 Euros per night was clean, had its own bathroom and included breakfast. Pension Fünfhaus is located very near the West Bahnhof, as well as, grocery stores and restaurants.

I saw other reviews that had concerns about the neighborhood. I thought the neighborhood was fine and never felt uncomfortable.

Vienna is an expensive city, if you want luxury, this is not your place. If you want a basic clean, quiet room, then consider it. I didn't come to Vienna to spend time in a hotel room. I came to explore and see the sights. All in all, I felt as though, I got a decent value for the price. I would definitely stay here again, should I return to Vienna, which I hope to do.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank mwl10
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

I found this hotel through Rick Steves' Guidebook but unfortunately staying with this hotel was not a very good experience. As a solo traveler to many places, I am usually very flexible in terms of accommodation but I think I should share my experience staying there so that you can make better judgment by yourself.

Neighborhood: The neighborhood is a bit seedy, which means you might not want to get back too late after dark. If I could pick up a hotel again, I would rather staying somewhere within the Ring of Vienna so that I could spend extra hours at night outside, as Vienna has so much to see after dark. Even I have to pay extra to stay in the hotel within the Ring, I think the extra money would be well spent.

Room:
* I requested a single room and was assigned to a different property owned by the hotel. It turned out that this property does not differentiate smoke and non-smoke room. I am a non-smoker and was assigned to a smoky room. So if you want to go with that hotel. Ask ahead.

* Rick Steves mentioned that the floor of the room within their additional property is tile. I think I know why the room has tiles on the floor. Basically the room is very damp, reminding me of the hotel I used to stay in the Bahamas. Every day when I stepped into the room, I feel obvious humidity with bed sheet. Just remember, this is in very hot summer weather in Vienna.

* Noise: the extra property with this hotel is located right next to a hostel. Therefore, I heard a lot of noise until very deep at night.

* Breakfast: the breakfast is basically two breads with tea. It is literally nothing. You could just pay 3 euros in the nearby grocery store in the morning to get a nice warm sandwich. I guess that many cheap hotel just try to use low quality breakfast to pocket some extra profits.

* Service attitude: the hotel is obviously very money minded and not friendly at all, which I understand. I paid what I get. However, when I checked out and get ready to have the last breakfast, the front desk lady (FYI, an old and bossy lady) started to shout at me in German and then English, simply because I decided to put my backpack right next to me on the seat where I sit. She insisted that I should put the backpack on the ground in the hotel lobby and said the floor is clean. It is early morning with only a few people in the cafeteria and I do not get it why she had to be so angry, simply because I put my backpack on the seat.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel even to solo traveler who do not care about accommodation that much. Obviously, everyone has different perspective. I try to be as objective as possible and simply hope what I had there can help you make a better judgment so that your vacation will not get affected by certain unpleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
10 Thank Kevin F
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

Stayed for 2 nights in this pensionhaus and while it is pretty basic by any standards, it was among the better priced places we could find. It is located a 5-10 min walk from the main train station/underground station & has many public transport systems nearby. The room we were in was away from the main building & seemed to be in a seperate apartment block. The room was large but very close to a noisy road & coupled with no air conditioning meant it wasnt a great nights sleep. There is no safe & internet is not available here. Breakfast was 2 rolls of bread so factor in buying a breakfast if you are planning on sightseeing. Overall it represented value as it was considerably cheaper than nearby similar alternatives.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DP2K
Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

Stayed for two nights in a single room en suite. Rooms and bathroom very spacious, clean and quite well lit. Simple breakfast is included with the room rate, consisting of coffee/tea and rolls. The pension is located on a side street in a quiet residential neighborhood, a block and a half from a main road, Mariahilfer Strasse. Several restaurants and cafés are located nearby on Mariahilfer Strasse. Location is about 250 metres from the Westbanhof from where one can catch the metro (or trains). The numbers 52 and 58 trams also pass nearby the hotel on Mariahilfer Strasse, one stop from the Westbanhof. From the Westbanhof, it's about a seven minute ride to the city centre at Stephansplatz on the U3 metro line. Overall, good value for the money and a comfortable friendly place to stay in Wien. Only negatives I noticed were the lack of WiFi and that the pension closes from mid-November to early-March.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo