“Walked Out!”

Hansen
Ranked #353 of 4,106 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: European, Central European, Austrian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Los Angeles, CA
“Walked Out!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I went to Hansen tonight for our last night in Vienna. Although there seemed to be a mix-up with our reservation, the place was almost completely empty and we asked to be seated if possible. The gentleman was very put out and wanted proof of our reservation even though he already said there was obviously space available. I explained that unfortunately I did not have internet on my phone, otherwise, I could show him my email confirmation. He did eventually seat us. When he took our drink order I asked if he could suggest a wine as I was not familiar with the list. He responded, "this is the list and you have to pick your wine." I would like to note the gentleman spoke perfect English so there was no misunderstanding me. I told him that if he was not going to help then I would need a moment. I scanned through the menu. At the bottom of the menu I noticed it said, "cloth napkins on request" with an additional fee. I looked around and all the tables were set with paper napkins, but ours had cloth (the waiter set our table when we sat down). That was the final straw. I felt I was being taken advantage of. We walked out. Despite the nearly empty restaurant they clearly didn't need our business.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank JLPtraveler

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

We - a group of three friends - visited Hansen in the mid-afternoon for a spontaneous spot of lunch and a quick round of drinks. I had actually been intending to make the visit at breakfast time, but alas the cocktail indulgence of the night before had left me somewhat worse for wear. Digression aside, I thought Hansen seemed a promising destination based on those reviews I had read. I was also interested by the concept - under a stock exchange and seemingly something of a 'hidden gem'. The place is certainly nice enough: light and colourful, but, in terms of being impressed, that was about as far as it went. Service was perfunctory and the food lacklustre - tried a soup and risotto to follow. Neither were special or interesting, sadly. A friend tried a chocolate cake dessert and was not impressed by the profound intensity of its dryness. Portions a little stingy in terms of size.

Over all not a bad experience but certainly not one I will be raving about - a pretty place with pretty standard food and service. Worth a try for breakfast, possibly.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Rzeczpospolitan
Vienna, Austria
“Lovely Food, Lovely Environment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

We had dinner at Hansen. When you go to the restaurant you walk first through the stairway of the old exchange building. Then you enter to a big old hall - the restaurant shares this space with an interior store and therefore everything is decorated very nice. The first thing what we realized is that the menu is every week different which is great. I had olives and a corn soup - very tasty. As main dish I've enjoyed a red beetroot risotto topped with prawns (see the picture) and a green salad. All in all we recommend it because the setting is beautiful, service was friendly and the food is also very good.

• Visited January 2014
Vienna, Austria
“Beautiful setting, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

It is as good as it gets - the setting is inside the Old Exchange in the botanical garden/flower shop with the most exquisite cuisine. This is the place to go to enjoy a nice meal and a glass of good wine. The lunch menu is very elaborate and delicious - I highly recommend to take the cream soups... Whatever you choose you will not regret it ...

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank GourmetCook2013
Kortrijk, Belgium
“Our favourite after 3 years in Vienna”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Hansen is a truly special restaurant as it is located in a corner of a flower and interior decoration shop. The combination is quite unique and having a lovely meal after browsing through the flower shop (closing at 19h) is great. Needless to say the smell of flowers and candles is omnipresent but not invasive.

The food is always really nice, combining European food with Asian flavours. At our last visit, we enjoyed a parsnip soup, followed by salmon steak with sweet and sour vegetables while my spouse had a typical Austrian beef dish (rindgeschnetzeltes) with couscous. The desserts are all home made and imaginative, such as a honey parfait with a cream of marzipan.

The menu changes regularly, hence we are always curious what will be featured the next time we will have dinner at Hansen. So far, we dined nearly 10 times at Hansen and have never been disappointed. Definitely a place to experience!

• Visited November 2013