“Best salads in town!”

Price range: US$5 - US$37
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Description: Dry-Aged-Steaks, salads, soups, seasonal specials, homemade sausages, fish, beer, wine, champagne, freshly squeezed juices. All that and more is available at the Restaurant Wrenkh.
Reviewed 29 October 2013

It's a great place for a healthy lunch! They pride themselves for having a fully organic menu.. the salad are best in town and one truly feels healthy after a meal at Kochsalon.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My girlfriend is a vegetarian and I am not, and we found that most good-to-better restaurants in Vienna would happily accommodate her. However, there are not many strictly- or mostly-vegetarian restaurants in Vienna so, if you are looking for a restaurant with many vegetarian options perhaps Wrenkh will work for you, and that may be why many vegetarian reviewers give it such high marks. For us it was nothing special, neither service nor food (though, in fairness, my girlfriend did like it more than I did). Several reviewers have commented that Wrenkh does frequent events in their back room and that these events impact service/experience, and that was absolutely the case on our visit. They were setting up the back for some kind of tasting when we arrived, and the only two servers on duty in the dining room were helping, so many times there was no one around. After we were seated we waited quite a while for menus, then another while to order drinks, then another while to get our drinks, and this pattern continued throughout the evening. Then, halfway through our meal, loud music started emanating from the back...not cover-your-ears-and-shout loud, but definitely loud enough to be intrusive in the dining room. The server we started with barely engaged us and didn't seem that interested in answering our questions about the food and wine; fortunately,the other server took over halfway through the meal and was much more pleasant and engaging. Now, the food. The menu is about 75% vegetarian/25% not. Our first server (who said he was not a vegetarian) offered that he thought the salads were the best things on the menu...this was the only real guidance he offered...and, if our meal was any indication, he was correct. My girlfriend's vegetarian dishes (salad starter and fried cheese main) were far better than my dishes (chicken starter and fish main...about the plainest fish I've ever been served), and I thought the salad was the best of the four...though nothing was great. I love dessert and I enjoy the experience of a three-course meal, and Wrenkh was the only dinner during our four nights in Vienna and four nights in Prague where I did not feel like sticking around for dessert (fortunately, our second server sent us to his favorite ice cream parlor a few blocks away). Several people (including the chef at one of the top restaurants in Vienna) recommended Tian as the best vegetarian restaurant in town, but I can not recommend it from first-hand experience. Go to Wrenkh if you have vegetarians in your party and also diner(s) who must have meat. Otherwise, I can't recommend it.

2  Thank Gary L
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My vegan friend and I went here because of all the excellent reviews on this site and others, imagine how disappointed we were when even though the place was not full, the service was beyond ordinary. I have dealt with unfriendly service before, but it was actually more than that, they made NO effort in anything. Salt asked for never appeared, water never appeared, the babaganoush starter (very ordinary, runny, watery concoction) which was supposed to come with artichoke heart (single tiny grey little tasteless thing on the side of the dish, really the worst I have ever tasted), was served without anything (they apparently ran out of crackers it normally comes with). No gluten free bread or any other alternative was offered for the crackers they ran out of, to eat the dip with. Not even fresh vegetables to dip with. Why would you let a customer order something that is impossible to eat rather than with the spoon (not my idea of lovely starter, I am sorry!).

As to the mains, they were rather limited on the night, and I am not a huge fan of salads for dinner, even though the unfriendly annoyed waiter kept steering my vegan friend towards them, as they were not prepared to adapt other dishes to vegan. We didn't travel to Vienna and this place to have some basic looking salad, so we both opted for Quinoa with grilled cheese. Yeah, it was ok, but definitely nothing to write home about, with quinoa rather on the dry side. Insofar as us non vegans go, the options were rather limited to steak, and judging by people next to us, they were not good at cooking that either, as they sent it back. Because the service was so poor, and at certain time of the evening, the room next to the dining tables started blaring really really loud techno music, which they were testing for different sound levels, we did not bother with desserts or coffees. So unfriendly, so disappointing, would not be back!

1  Thank l-globetrotter
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Based on the reviews, I was looking forward to something special. But this restaurant delivers mediocre fare and ordinary service. My entree and main lacked flavour and flair. Several dishes were unavailable. Sold out at lunchtime, I was told. Not good enough.

1  Thank Jalee15
Reviewed 7 August 2013

It is not easy to find decent vegetarian dining in Vienna. The first place I located was on vacation during August; so we considered ourselves lucky in finding Mr. Wrenkh. It is conveniently located about a block off St. Stephan's Plaz in the center of Vienna. There are a few tables outside, but many more inside. We chose outside seating due to the high temperatures in Vienna. [Today, August 7, it is actually 104 degrees in Vienna and 102 in Phoenix AZ!] Most places do not have air conditioning.
Edith had a salad and a quinoa with goat cheese entree. I had soup and a pan fried trout stuffed with quinoa, as well as a pastry dessert. The trout with quinoa was unique, and a great combination. Edith was please with her selection also. The only thing that could have been improved would be to have provided a separate plate for the bones from the trout. This was a truly delightful meal, with good service, and very reasonable pricing. We always like the sidewalk atmosphere, so outside seating is recommended also. Mr. Wrenkh (who checked to make sure we were satisfied) does a fine job.