“Just had a nice lunch at Le Bol”
Review of Le Bol

Le Bol
Ranked #312 of 4,305 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I ate today at Le Bol and we had a very nice time. Food was good and service was also good, however I do have some things to point out.

First, I had heard that it gets crowded so I tried to call in the morning to make a reservation. I looked up their website and called the number listed there (a mobile phone number) about five times in half an hour. It went straight to voice mail each time. I left a message but had a feeling no one would check if they weren't answering in the first place. I arrived early to Le Bol and told them I had called in the morning and the woman working told me they "didn't have a phone". Still there was a table near to finishing so she told me to come back in half an hour and I did and it worked out fine.

Second, the reason I was so keen on making a table reservation is because about half the seats are at four person tables and the other half are at a long communal table, which I personally don't enjoy.

The food was quite good so I'll give it four stars but I really would rather give 3.5 because I find the seating situation and lack of phone a bit unusual and not to my preference.

There are newer reviews for Le Bol

Reviewed 3 February 2014

What a find, on a very cold Saturday morning en route to the Hofburg palace we stumbled across this lovely cafe. It was so busy but they found us three seats really quickly on the big central table that seats about 20 people. What great service, very efficient and friendly. We enjoyed "Le Grand Bol" for just under 13 euros - selection of breads, croissant with jam and honey, ham, salmon,boiled egg orange juice, coffee and a glass of prosecco. Outstanding value and a real treat to be amongst the locals in a buzzy place.

1  Thank JMSNorthamptonshire
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Walking around the first district of Vienna, an assortment of éclaires and tartes displayed in a window caught my attention and before I knew it, I was opening the door to this small crowded café/bistro/pâtisserie. Immediately engulfed by familiar smells, the clatter and buzz and typical style, I felt as if I had rematerialised in France. And, true to form, we were approached by a frowning waitress, whose demeanour suggested we had crashed her party and couldn't we see the place was full? Yet we stood our ground and politely asked for a seat, the dishes passing under our noses looked just too good to give up. She waved in the direct of two side by side seats at the long central table, where we took place. And it was well worth it. Once seated, our order was promptly taken and we were served professionally and after only a short waiting period. We had delicious soupe à l'oignon, an excellent glass of Chablis, a huge and very tasty quiche au jambon, and a wonderfully seasoned fresh salad. For desert, we had a tarte au citron and the beloved éclaire au chocolat, along with a bowl of café au lait (hence the name "le bol"). The portions are more than generous and the dishes are presented in an appetising way. The crowd is an ecclectic mix of young and old, locals and tourists, either chattering away or quietly reading the papers. A wonderfully lively atmosphere, just like in any French bistro. And once you have your seat, you are welcome to stay for as long as you want. People not able to get over the typical French hospitality are really missing out on a large variety of excellent food. I highly recommend Le Bol and will surely return on my next visit.

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

We've been there on 31st Dec. Very crowded but unfogetable. Staff was very patient and helpful. Dishes were extremally tasty. Especially salads. -all!!
Grate chef! All looked delucious and tasted even better.
Simple but very good!!

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We ordered our food about 45 minutes ago and they have yet to bring our food. I got my (admittedly quite tasty) éclair and croissant after about 10 minutes, but as of writing this the relatively simple bread dish we ordered has not been delivered. The waitresses seemed somewhat oblivious to the fact we hadn't received anything. Additionally, the food was relatively expensive (I.e. 3.50? for a 4'×1"×1" eclair).
TL;DR: Terrible service, good (if expensive) food.

1  Thank Quinn W