“Wunderbar”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Leopoldstadt
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First night in Vienna and we couldn't have chosen any better.

I started with the asparagus mousse dish and followed it with the biggest plate of Weiner Schnitzel I've ever eaten. Or seen.

My daughter had ceviche and then Monkfish pasta. It was equally good.

Washed down with a bottle of very nice Reisling and some sparking wine as an apperitif.

The decor was lovely - the space is really made by the crazy painting over the celing and walls.

The service was first class. Informative, friendly and unpretentious.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I dined here last night. It was a special occasion, and we were hoping that Skopik & Lohn would fit the bill. My God Almighty, did it ever.

We each started off with some delicious Elderberry Fizz aperitifs. Beautifully executed and elegant in presentation.

My wife had the phenomenal steak tartare while I tried the beef tongue with horseradish ice cream, runner beans, and smoked mayonnaise. Both dishes were fantastic. The playfulness of the mild and tender tongue matched with the horseradish ice cream was surprising and yet extremely well balanced. Punchy but not overpowering on the part of any the ingredients.

Our main courses: my wife's chicken dish was stunningly presented, the chicken was cooked to perfection (tender meat with a light, crunchy, and salty skin), and the tastes were out of this world. I was feeling adventurous, thus my choice of anglerfish in sheeted pasta with celery and truffle. Again, the light sweetness of the fish was never overpowered by the truffle despite its distinctive and pronounced flavor. The pasta was al dente, and it all looked phenomenal.

For dessert, we shared a portion of the rich chocolate tart with homemade black sesame ice cream served on salted caramel. Perfection. If you skip the first course of your dinner, you can easily devour a portion of the aforementioned dessert on your own, but we were both happy with our decision to share the dessert. The portion was smaller but just the right amount to round off our dinner experience.

I ended my time with a final cocktail, the Gin Basil Smash ( I THINK that was its name... I know it included "Basil Smash" :) ): a beautiful, extremely well-blended version of a Gin & Tonic with the addition of basil. Out-of-this-world delicious. AND it'll get you drunk.

Skopik & Lohn... last night was a 10/10, and those were just the dishes we chose. We were amazed by the other dishes that continued to roll out of the kitchen throughout our time at the restaurant, and we cannot wait to try them all.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Dinner here was a great experience with attentive, well-trained waitstaff and a short, but adequate traditional Austrian menu. They had an excellent wine list and staff was knowledgeable and helpful in wine selection. On a warm June night, everyone was dining outdoors in a pleasant setting with little traffic on the adjacent street. We were staying at a hotel near the Stephansdom, so this restaurant was a pleasant 20-25 minute walk. On the way back we took time to walk along the canal and to enjoy the buzzing night scene.
A great experience and we would definitely dine here again

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First of all, I would like to say, that the service was on very high level. Waiter knew 3 languages.
I have tordered wiener schnitzel, it was huge and very delicious.
I were there on Thursday evening and the place was almost full, so I think reservation would be a good idea.

P.S. One more advice would be not to eat for some time before going there, if you would like to try best Schnitzel ever. I wanted to order desert, but I was already so full.

Great experience, great service, great food. Keep going in same direction!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Located in fashionable Leopoldstadt and slightly away from the crowds in the centre of town this place has perfected the idea of a neighbourhood eaterie. Casual enough to make you feel welcome from the minute you reserve your table, yet upmarket enough to attract a sophisticated crowd. Outside tables with crisp, white linen and discreet candles light mix pleasantly with the chatter of your fellow diners. The service is spot on and never too obtrusive, very knowledgeable and charming without being pushy. The food is good quality neighbourhood fare well presented, so don't expect culinary showstoppers but together with a more than decent wine list it all adds up to a beautiful evening. Just be aware that the terrace needs to be cleared by 10.30pm but staff will happily serve you desert or coffee inside.