“Still excellent value”

and 1 more site!
Pension Ani Falstaff
Ranked #122 of 222 Speciality Lodging in Vienna
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I went back after a year and the service was as good as on the previous visit. This time I had my whole family with me and the 6 of enjoyed the pension very much. Breakfast is still excellent and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Contrary to some reviews the location is excellent with the tram only about 5 minutes easy walk away and the U-Bahn about 10 minutes. There are some excellent restaurants and coffee shops very close by and the 'Landsknecht' pub & restaurant is excellent and only one block away.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 September 2010

This is a nice little guesthouse very close to the university. It is very clean, although the entrance is a little offputting. The rooms are spacious and very clean and the breakfast is lovely. A great choice if you are on business in the university district.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I stayed here with my wife for 10 nights (should have been 7 but then the volcano spewed ash into the atmosphere). The lobby is a bit grim but once past that, the reception and service are excellent and the rooms are clean and roomy. The breakfast is fresh and served with a smile and the staff are superbly helpful. The bottom line here is value for money and perfect location with lots of restaurants, pubs, coffee shops, and general stores within mere minutes walking distance. The U4 is ten easy minutes walking and the "D" Tram 5 minutes which gets you to the centre of Vienna in less than 20 minutes either way. Don't expect too much but definitely worth every Euro.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2009

I stayed here with my two friends for three nights in a three person room. We're all in our mid-twenties and a thought this place was perfect for us. It is in a quiet and safe neighbourhood and about 7 minutes from the nearest metro stop (U4) and three from the nearest tram stop (line D). The room was very clean and quite new and the shower was amazing, lots of space and powerful. The inclusive breakfast served from 7:30-9:30 am was good, cereal and muesli with yoghurt as well as bread meat and cheese. The staff were frIendly and helpful and the pension has very fast free wireless (just have to ask at the front desk for the password). The people staying here were all age ranges, from twenties to sixties. I would definitely stay here again, it is a clean and functional place to come back to at the end of the day and good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I haven't actually stayed here, but I've put both my mother & my mother in law in it as well as other guests. It is around the corner from my small flat in Vienna's 9th district. They all loved it. It was clean & quiet (except for birds in the morning!) It is about 5 minutes walk from the D tram stop on Porzellangasse which takes you to all the major tourist sites, and about 10 minutes walk off the U4 which takes you to the airport via Wien Mitte / Landstrasse & a change of train. It is also about 15 minutes walk to the north boundary of the first district -- Vienna's downtown is small and you can walk home from the Opera in 45 minutes if you don't get lost. The 9th district itself has excellent restaurants & cafes you can find in a good guide book like Time Out.

The pension is a converted old apartment building. The breakfast room is an expansion of the hall near the front desk, but it leads out to terrace / balcony with several tables. The staff here have always been wonderful & I have often waited on their terrace for my guests. They have been very flexible & understanding about my relatives changing their reservations etc. (more so than I was :-)

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank j2bryson
Reviewed 15 October 2008

I went to Vienna 2 years ago along with 4 other friends.

The location was a bit secluded, tucked away in a quiet neighbourhood away from all the hustle and bustle of the tourist centre. At first the entrance was quite a scare - it shared the same doorway with a "Turkish Bath" premises (which later, as my friends found out adventurously, was a gay "entertainment" premises).

The lift could only fit 2 people (with luggage) so we walked the flight of stairs. Beware when coming back at night - we didn't know there were lights that could be turned on for a few seconds when we entered, until we reach another light, and so forth. so we went up that flight of stairs in TOTAL DARKNESS.

Other than that, hospitality was good. our rooms weren't ready for another 15 mins, so we waited and we were served with orange juice and biscuits while waiting.

The bigger rooms were on another floor. The room was very big (5 people room) and the bathroom was clean and reasonable in size. The toilet was outside the room though, which wasn't a problem for us since there wasn't anyone else on the floor when we were there. Also we spent most of the time sightseeing so we weren't that concerned about the room. Clean and safe were the main priorities.

Just be careful if you're a woman travelling alone, or even a group of female. The entrance can be daunting but if you know there are lights you can switch on then it should be fine.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 24 May 2008

My only major complaint about Pension Ani Falstaff is the location. It is not particularly near any of the main sights and it isn't really as near the metro station as it might seem to be from the maps and directions provided on booking websites. It is more like a 15 minute walk from the pension to the nearest metro. With our luggage, it took longer and was pretty tiring. Also, the nearest metro station is not on a convenient metro line and it requires at least 1 or 2 line transfers to get the main sites.

It's in a very very very quiet area. We encountered very little people as we're walking to and from and pension to the metro at all times of the day. Also, during the time that we were there, as it was a long weekend none of the shops along the way were open. Only a few cafes and restaurants were open.

Our room was pretty basic (had cable but only English channels were CNN). But it was very clean and the attached bathroom was also very clean and seemed very new. There was always a hot shower with good strong water pressure.

The breakfast provided is the same every morning and also pretty basic but we're not fussy about breakfast so we had no complaints.

The staff speak English and though not extremely warm were friendly and helpful enough.

Although the room was really inexpensive, I would not stay there again and would pay more to stay in a more central and convenient location.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank pinkmk