“Great food, shame about the service”
Review of Salzberg

Ranked #537 of 4,506 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mariahilf
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We went here for dinner prior to going to a concert and got there really early. To start with the service was fine but then a very large party came in (don't know whether they were pre-booked or not) and the staff just could not cope: drinks forgotten, didn't offer us the dessert menu and although we started off with plenty of time to spare we ended up having to chase them round the restaurant for the bill. When it finally arrived we were told they would not accept card payment, not that they couldn't but that it would be too much trouble!

This was a pity because the food was excellent and a real taste of genuine Austria.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband and I went here for my birthday dinner after reading the recommendations and positive referral of our pension. We ordered 2 nice glasses of prosecco which were delicious, but after the apperitiv my night went downhill quickly.
We ordered the goose liver in madaira sauce and a nice soup as starters.followed by the beef stew and stuffed chicken with feta. Being a great fan of goose, I had high expectations but they weren't met. The cook obviously did not respect the ingredients he cooked with. I got a plate with a pile of mashed patatoes and pan fried liver, besides the lack of presentation, which i can live with, the dish lacked taste. The goose liver was put tp shame, which is unfortunate.
The mains were as disappointing in taste.
The restaurant does have a good atmosphere, but don't go here if you're looking for a tasty meal.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We'd read good things about this place so searched it out for dinner. Nothing special to look at, and we could only get a table in the smoking section, but boy are we glad we stayed! Sat on high stools but with big rocks on the table base to rest out feet on! Friendly service, huge starters of chicken salad and brie salad, then mains of Viennese boiled beef and fish stew with all the accompaniements. Good bottle of pinot noir wine and a beer, all for under €70, can't complain. Only misses out on a full house because of the background smell of smoke, but that's just us. Recommended, but book if you'd prefer the seperate non smoking area.

1  Thank Andy-S60
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

This place is one of dearest places to me and my family. The food is fresh. Always in sync with the current season. Prices are very affordable. The waitresses are exteremly friendly... Its like visiting your relatives Farm.

Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We did not get a table outside, but inside there was ample space. The place is rather noisy as it is well-visited. A rather down to earth atmoshere. But the breakfast buffet is good. They even had special bread available for my wife who has wheat intolerance. Best place for anyone with a good appetite in the morning. I wouldn't have a problem recommending this adress to friends.