“It's Vienna / Open Your Wallet” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palmenhaus

Palmenhaus
Ranked #143 of 4,071 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian, European, Central European
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“It's Vienna / Open Your Wallet”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Scenic View, Outdoor Seating is all you get, that's all. Staff extremely annoying, there was one skin-headed person that was moving plates and menus around like he would be playing football, I think most of the tables around those waiters would need a sticker on each chair saying "I'm not a football player". However, I think that some waiters can have their good and bad days and that handling a lot of customers everyday can be very bothering. I have the feeling that some of the waiters are probably "embarrassed" to be a waiter, but I think there is nothing to be ashamed of. For some people going cooking is only for eating, but actually cooking is a job too. Personally speaking I have respect of people running a restaurant or being a waiter also must be done by someone that has strong nerves. Overall, only getting to the Palm House for a cup of coffee or having a soft-drink is fine, I attached some invoice examples of your overall spending. We did start with a coffee and a Bitter Lemon for EUR 6, later had a bottle of white-wine, a big cheese platter with bread. I actually cannot believe that one bread-basket is only offers 4 slices of bread, so we had to order a "double bread-basket" for EUR 1,20 x 2 (double). At least it is more affordable than Cafe Landtmann just around the corner, at there you will be charged EUR 1,50 per piece. The cheese platter is EUR 11,70 / you may need 3 bread-baskets, because you may be ending up eating cheese without bread. I would at least expect that the cheese platter would have some crackers on it, or at least some wine grapes. I eat better in Emirates Airlines Business / First-Class, than in a restaurant, maybe this is because I like eating in an airplane better than actually going to a restaurant in Austria especially. The table next to us ate lunch with starters, some ice-cream on top of that and spent EUR 220, don't go there for lunch, only go there if you would like to have a cup of coffee / or a glass of wine with cheese, it is the cheapest way to enjoy the most, when considering that usually each meal (even starters is starting from EUR 13 and main courses are EUR 25-35 on average). Gave the waitress a few coins as tip, but what I don't get: everywhere it says that you can use credit-card and when I asked for the check the waiter said: "Yes you can use card, but I prefer cash". So I was about to give her my bank card and when I didn't even open my card-bad she said "But I prefer cash". So my question was "why don't you just say, cash on and remove stickers all over the place saying "MasterCard, VISA Cards Accepted"? And on top of that they are expecting to give you tips. What for? Because one bread-basket has 4 slices of bread, you are saying cards are accepted but cash is preferred, or are you charging for moving around plates, fork and knives when considering it as music? If you do consider moving your equipment around like a bass player, than play in a band, but don't get into the restaurant business. Overall, it has been a lovely noon, great environment, but def. not good price for value. I usually always compare Austrian's pricing with the Abu Dhabi 8 Star Palace, the Burj Al Arab 7 Star Hotel or the Atmosphere at Burj Khalifa. Can't wait to be back in the Emirates, for EUR 55 in one afternoon, I can spend one whole noon and afternoon in a palace, heading to a bathroom with 24k gold in my skin-cream in the washroom and eat with silver-spoons, when having a private waiter next to me and in fact, they would even clean your sunglasses if they feel it is necessary. At least those waiters are proud to be waiters and what I don't get: people say Venice is expensive, but actually this would be fairy-tale.

• Visited May 2014

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Palo Alto
“Wonderful lunch in charming setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We had a terrific lunch here - the trout was flavorful and moist. Also it's a greenhouse type atmosphere next to the Butterfly House and in the Berg Park by the palace in the city center. The weather was perfect but we couldn't get a table outside. No matter, the inside was just as beautiful.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Shoreham-by-Sea, United Kingdom
“Good anytime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had lunch here on our last visit and went there for an early evening drink and stayed for dinner this time. The staff very are helpful, friendly and knowledgable, and there is a wide selection of food and a great wine list (especially Austrian). Nice view,of the Volksgarten tops it off. Outside tables are fought over, so be patient!

• Visited April 2014
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Great place to stop for a coffee and cake - the restaurant has a nice terrasse in the sun, great for relaxing. A bit pricy, but okay.

“Fantastic space - mediocre food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We were a big party, and the concept was "buffet". When inversed, it is because there were two alternatives for starter, two for main and two for desserts. That is not a buffet in my book. A buffet is wher your fancies are challenged by the choices you have. If the six dishes were amazing, I guess one would have overlooked it, but they weren't. The starters were acceptable - salmon and something else - cannot remember ( which means that it didn't make much of an impression ). Main dishes were chicken 'supreme' and some ravioli, which looked too messy for me to even taste. The chicken was dry and boring. For dessert, I choose a chocolate ice bomb of a kind - with marcipan - almost like a giant frozen Mozart kugel. Somehow obscene, but OK, I'm a sucker for chocolate, marcipan and ice cram, so down it went... The space is fantastic - an orangerie built for emperors, lush with palms and otherr exotic plants, well lit and well decorated. Could have been the perfect experience, if it weren't for the food...

• Visited March 2014