“Recommended by a local”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mariahilf
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Having arrived in Vienna late afternoon and settled into our accommodation, food became the next most important thing. Our apartment owner recommended Stemans as his first choice based in proximity to us (6th region), price, quality of food and the opportunity of a 'local' experience.

Stemans did not disappoint. The staff were excellent (in the course of our meal) we hand four individual wait persons tend to us. They were extremely polite helping us interpret the menu and offering suggestions and spending time we felt guilty about considering the amount of people in the place. The selection of food was pretty darned good and of high quality. Servings were large and well presented.

Closed on the weekends, Stemans is popular with locals and does require a booking most nights. We were lucky that they had one table left. Our fortune.

Recommended highly.

1  Thank prholst

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Excellent austrian food and a very good price. Great beer too...and the memorable thing... excellent and super nice girls and boys who serve...they only care about your stay. Must go!

1  Thank Mariela L
Reviewed 22 May 2013

This place is located just of a busy shopping street. As the weather was very good, we chose to sit outside. Service was a little bit slow, but friendly. The food was very good: I had the goulash, which was very flavoursome and my girlfriend had the mushroom escalope which was also very good (perhaps a bit too salty, but ok...).

Reviewed 30 March 2013

Lovely place that takes you back to the 1930's. Not many tourists, mostly locals. Brilliant beer and spaztle!! Goulash is also excellent.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

A friend who has been living in Vienna for 6 years met my husband and I at Steman. We are far from wine experts, but we had the best wine we'd ever tasted (a Muskateller) and the food was fantastic. I had my favourite Austrian meal - Käsespätzle (8.50 euros) and it was just like Oma used to make... maybe better. Shh! I would be a regular if I lived locally.

1  Thank megan1054