Opera Suites
  • Pool
US$406
US$376
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssacher hotelopera housenespresso machinekartner strassebusy pedestriancoffee podssmall elevatormini barthe main pedestrian streetstreet noisenot hesitate to recommend this hotelbeautiful roomfamous sacher tortestay there againperfect locationshort walkcomfortable rooms
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

I will preface this review by saying that I love staying in authentic, cultural areas when I travel. For exp: my favorite places to stay in Paris are little flats on a quiet street in neighborhoods such as Les Marais...lots of locals and lots of character!

That being said, I have to say that while this hotel was very central, it was on the most touristy pedestrian street I have ever been on. Within blocks you will find a McDonalds, Starbucks, Burger King, Forever 21, and a million tacky souvenir shops. There is even a souvenir shop directly below the hotel (which only fills one or two floors of a building) that played loud techno music all day. This was very disheartening to me and honestly because I was a solo female traveler and didn't feel super comfortable walking miles and miles alone at night really put a damper on my experience.

The hotel rooms were quaint but nice and the staff were quite helpful, however unfortunately the neighborhood was just so unappealing to me that it really overshadowed all of the good qualities of the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank mollyms619
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Both the location and the staff here are absolutely wonderful. The hotel is right on the main pedestrian walkway, opposite the Opera House. My wallet and credit cards were stolen in Budapest several days earlier and I was still trying to sort things out when I arrived in Vienna. Markus, who owns the hotel, let me use his phone -- which required two hours to sort out -- free of charge until all was settled. He also reconfirmed my flights when I need to rebook because of a cancelation. Both he and his staff are delightful, warm, flexible people -- and fantastic at providing tour information, restaurant suggestions (Plachutta the best restaurant of my entire stay) and directions. The rooms, however, are a bit old, and the ones on the first floor seem a bit isolated, since the main desk and staff are above, on the second floor.
I'd suggest asking for a second-floor room so you can be nearer the staff (instead of having to trudge upstairs for directions, suggestions) if you're looking for some friendly faces before and after you finish your day. (I was traveling alone, so having some warm conversations was probably more impt to me than to others traveling with companions.) Markus was also flexible in letting me leave a day early, in spite of my having reserved for 7 nights, which I very much appreciated. In the mid-range of prices, this hotel is a good value for the location and cost.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

We spent 5 nights in the Opera Suites recently. Our room was very nice and a good size. Nice touches: a bottle of wine to welcome us with great fruit and candy. Such a lovely gesture! We found the staff extremely helpful with whatever we asked them for. I was glad I had read it was right next to Starbucks or we would never have found it. It fronts a pedestrian street and I believe their sign was being replaced because there was only a small placard. Our room had a Built in kitchenette which was nice since breakfast is not included. You have to order it ahead and I thought it was pricey. There is a large shopping area with a nice grocery nearby so we bought cereal, juice, etc., and it worked out well. The location is perfect to just about everything. We walked everywhere and only used the subway (which is across the street) to go to Schonbrunn. You would be hard pressed to find a place more conveniently located. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 18 July 2013

First, this is not a review of the Opera Suites Hotel, just their adjacent studio apartment. Check in is at the hotel which is around the corner from the apartment. The hotel lift was broken, a continual problem as other reviewers have mentioned the same issue in past reviews over the year. Only one person was working at the hotel upon checkin and she couldn't leave the desk so there was no available help with the luggage. Not fun in the rain!

We were 3 sisters travelling together and walking into the apartment was a disappointment. The flat was very basic with drab, worn furniture and a strange layout. Directly in front of you, as you walk in, is a tiny toilet room. The main bed was fine but the sofa bed was lumpy and soft. Again, the tub/shower room is very small. The bathtub has high sides with a slick finish so getting in and out without slipping is difficult. There's a wobbly plastic half wall attached to one side of the tub that offers no support. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't fallen off by now! In one way, it was good having a separate toilet room as you couldn't fit more than 1 person into either room at anytime.

On the plus side the Wifi worked well and if you are in need of a basic kitchenette the apartment does provide that. Since the Opera Suites is a hotel I assumed basic housekeeping would be provided in the studio but it was not. The location is fine and within easy walking distance to many of Vienna's tourist sites. At checkout, we asked to see a hotel room and were pleasantly surprised so if travelling as a couple or single you might consider giving the hotel a try. Would I stay in their studio apartment again? Definitely not!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

A great place to stay at if you are visiting vienna for few days. It is in the center of the city. Close to many attractions, saint stephen's cathedral is few meters away and so the opera house. The ambiance of the hotel is nice. The staff are pro and friendly. The rooms are spacious.

• Stayed: September 2012