“Very clean and updated”

Ranked #165 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
New Jersey
“Very clean and updated”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I stayed at this family run hotel and it was indeed a pleasure. The owners were very attentive and helpful. The U-Bahn is walking distance and so is the mall. There is also a grocery right next door from the hotel. Across from the hotel would also be a place where there are a couple of restaurants by the Danube river. One that I particularly enjoyed was the spare ribs at the Strand Cafe (I believe, it has a couple of reviews here in Tripadvisor as well). Breakfast was basic but prepared fresh daily.

All in all, my stay at the Strandhotel was very pleasant and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This hotel is very good and located very close to Vienna International Center. It also have a good airport transportation and very friendly staff. It is so green around, river and jogging places for people. very nice.

I would really recommend it.

Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Not chose road side rooms. very noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My husband was recently working in Vienna and I was lucky enough to have some time off so I could join him for a few days. This is the hotel he was booked into so not not one chosen by us, however I don't think we could of chosen any better! Though my husband has been to Vienna before this was my first visit and the staff were so friendly and helpful. My husband had previously stayed in a different hotel and though it had more facilities he said he muched preferred the Strandhotel. The room, as well as the rest of the hotel, was clean, bright and fresh. It was spacious and comfortable. There was plenty to do in the local area with plenty of restaurants and shopping but is only a short journey to the centre of Vienna which I have to say is beautiful and well worth a visit. I have fell in love with the city and this hotel certainly helped! Thank you

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I went three times in Vienna, and in three different hotels. The Strandhotel Alte Donau is really the place I preferred. The personnel, as well as the owners, are friendly, helpful. And what about the rooms ! They are gorgeous, neat, trendy, modern, decorated in a truly European style. The beautiful hotel room I stayed in.

Room Tip: No swiming pool, no fitness center. But breakfast included.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Hannover, Germany
Reviewed 9 October 2011

This hotel was nice and average, but since the breakfast came with my room I liked it just a bit more. The staff was wonderful too. It is situated just across the street from a river and is maybe 6-7 tram stops to the center of the city. The rooms are nice and the beds are comfortable. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the river, but not next to the road.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Strandhotel Alte Donau is a very small family operated hotel. It was recently renovated and new looking. Room was very clean and the free breakfast was pretty good. It is located only a 10 minute train ride to downtown vienna.
But for the price they charge, it does not have much to offer. The Danube river view room did not have much of a view. The windows did not have screens to keep the spiders and other bugs out. Room did not have an iron. Had to go to the maid's closet everyday to iron my clothing. There was no elevator. Had to carry bags and suitecases up two floors. The toilet was in a separate room than the washroom and bath. After using the toilet had to go to another room to wash my hands. Bath tub did not have a shower curtain. There was a half glass partition that did not stop the water from going on the floor. Had to use half the towels to dry the floor after each shower to be able to walk on. When you closed the door to the room, it could be opened from out side. Had to lock the door each time. And the lock used an actual key of which we were only provide one.
Overall, not worth the price. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ruzbeh_ca
Partik, Owner at Strandhotel Alte Donau, responded to this review, 26 June 2011
Dear "ruzbeh_ca",

Thank you for staying at our hotel and taking the time to write a review. We are happy you enjoyed our breakfast buffet.

We regret to read that you did not like the view your room had to offer. The room you occupied provides good views of the Old Danube, one of the Danube’s river branches that is now separated from the actual Danube by a dam and is thus a lake. Your room also offered views of ‘Skyline’, which is made up of Danube City, Vienna’s new finance and office quarter, the UN building and Wienerwald (the Vienna woods) and Kahlenberg and Leopoldsberg in the distance.

The fire & police departments do not permit our windows to have fitments attached to them. If insects do happen to make their way into our guests’ rooms from outside, we have maids to get rid of them. The fire & police departments further insist that ironing facilities be provided in a separate room. For this reason we also offer an ironing service.

The suite you lived in is situated on the top (2nd) floor, and while we do not have a lift, we offered to carry your luggage to your room, as we usually do with our guests. Your suite’s toilet was seperate from the bathroom. This is often welcomed by many of our guests and is usually only offered 5-star establishments.

For reasons of hygiene we prefer using glass partitions rather than plastic curtains for showers in the bathtub. We regret that the glass partition apparently wasn’t closed properly to prevent water from going on the floor.

Our room entrance doors are equipped with a security lock which must be locked from the inside. We are always happy to provide our guests with a second key.

We regret that you do not consider our rooms and service worth the price but are also surprised that you extended your stay with us over Easter under these circumstances.

Thanks again for your review. We always welcome constructive criticism as it helps us improve the service we can offer our future guests.

Yours sincerely
Johann Partik
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2011

me and my partner stayed here for our first trip to Vienna and were very glad we chose it. The hotel is very quiet and spotlessly clean (looking as if there has been work done quite recently). Our room was very spacious and had a great view over the Alte Donau with the Danube Tower in the background. The most impressing thing about the hotel was the staff, they were all very friendly and extremely helpful - after making my booking I emailed the hotel to ask if there was tea/coffee making facilities in the room as I hadn't seen this on the hotel information. They emailed me back to say that they didn't but that I could get hot water from reception, but on arrival at the hotel I was informed that a kettle and cups had been placed in my room! Another big bonus was the fridge in our room. The transport links to the city centre and the airport are fantastic and the surrounding area away from the main road is beautiful and very peaceful.
The only negative was that while we was there the weather was very warm for the time of year (which isn't the negative) so on our first night we left the windows open. Big mistake! we was awoken at 5.30 in the morning by the start of the morning traffic which seemed very loud, as the hotel is next to a busy 6 lane road (which isn't a problem if your already awake or when the windows are closed). As I said , the weather was very warm for the time of year, so I'm not sure if there is any provision for this in the summer. Also to be fair to the hotel we didn't mention this and just left the windows open during the day while we were out and just closed them on our return in the evening so it wasn't a problem. I'm sure that if we had have mentioned it they would have done their best to help. I intend to stay here again on my next visit to Vienna.

Room Tip: Request rooms by contacting hotel direct
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple