“Very pleased with this hotel's location, rooms, service, ammenities”

Clarion Collection Hotel Hammer
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Lillehammer
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Really enjoyed the staff and how we were first greeted and then treated throughout our time. We ended staying an extra day with how comfortable we felt there - as opposed to other Norweigan and Danish hotels that made us feel 'less than appreciated'.

The evening buffet is great! We ended up eating that and getting beers from the tap at the reception and staying in our room with a cool view of the mountains instead of exploring, it was that nice.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WorldAdventurer_7

Reviewed 25 July 2008

My first stay in Lillehammer, and Hammer Hotel made it a pleasant one. Rooms are a nice size, though the single beds are small compared to most other hotels I have been to.

Bathroom was nice and clean, shower with glass doors and good pressure, though only a wall-mounted soap dispenser (no extras). I assume this is due to their eco-friendly profile.

Breakfast was good with organic products, several types of bread, and fresh fruit every day. Make-your-own waffles in the afternoon and a light meal in the evening (bread, cheese, soup). Service was very friendly at all times, minibar and free wifi (ask for a scratch card). Hotel has a sauna, but no pool or exercise equipment. However, Lillehammer is a great place for walks and jogging so there isn't much of a need for that in the summer.

During my stay the weather was hot (24-28 degrees C), and the lack of AC made it a little difficult to sleep at night. However, this can be considered a luxury problem, as Norwegian summers rarely are that warm and pleasant (except when trying to sleep)!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Oslo84
Reviewed 8 July 2008

I've had extended stays at the Hammer for 3 years running and I can only say that it's a nice place to stay. Staff is very friendly and the hotel is clean and well kept. As noted elsewhere they have a nice European breakfast buffet and a lite supper buffet (soup/salad/sandwiches) and there are waffles in the afternoon and always fresh fruit available. There's free wireless access throughout the hotel (get a card at the reception desk) and no smoking anywhere inside.
It's location is perfect as a base for walking around Lillehammer and enjoying the nightlife. There are a lot of nice restaurants within a short walking distance without having to deal with going up / down the hill.
The only minor draw-backs, in my opinion, are no indoor smoking area, No water cooker/instant coffee/tea in room, (Nice free espresso/cappuchino machine available 24/7 though), No air conditioning in the rooms (if it's summer bring a small fan), Smaller selection of TV stations in the rooms (full selection available in the common lounge area). That's all I can think of. I can say that when I arrive at this hotel it feels like a home away from home.

(Not sure about the person who stated they'd been dicriminated against... I can only assume that it was a misunderstanding...)

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Ozeroc
Reviewed 4 February 2008

Dear all, just to share with you a discrimination situation that happened at Clarion Collection Hotel Hammer.

On Friday, 01st Feb at 10:44am I called the Clarion Collection Hotel Hammer to make a reservation for the next night. I had very good recommendations about the hotel as one of the best in town. I asked if there were a double room available and the recepcionist confirmed and gave me price. I asked to book it and she asked where I am from. I told her I am from Brazil and the answer was: “I´m sorry but I´m afraid I do not have a room for you then”. It really took me a moment to speak something because I was really in shock. I asked why and she asked if I was really going with my husband. I said yes and she insisted at least twice if I was not going alone. And what would be the problem if I was going alone? A brazilian women could not travel alone to go skying or get to know a beatiful city in Norway? What is the matter with that? Does the hotel has any policy for women travelling by their own? If I was a norwegian women would I face the same question? And if I was a brazilian man? I got very angry and felt completelly humiliated. At that time my only reaction was to make her accept my reservation because I´m a guest as any other. I gave my credit card number but regreted later. As it was a late reservation the other hotels where fully booked and I ended up staying there. During the stay I didn´t have other problems, but I never felt so discriminated on my life. I was denyied the right to stay at the hotel due to my nationality and gender. It should be unnaceptable to experience any kind of discrimination nowadays. I didn´t take this incident as something common in Norway but it was a really shamefull experience. I told this story to the assistants at Oslo and Lillehamer Information Centres and they were both as amazed as I was and I could see they were also ashamed and really sorry for that.

I hope it never happen with any other person again, regardless her/his nationalitty, race, creed, gender, physical ability or any other characteristic.

I know that this can seem to be a minor situation compared to the critical issues we still need to tackle if we want to create a society free of discrimination. On the other hand, a discriminatory culture is kept by situations like this that are treated as "just a small incident" by many of us.

With regards

Karine Bueno

Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank Ksbno
Reviewed 22 January 2008

The Clarion Hammer Hotel is a lovely little place in the village of Lillehammer, well run, with wonderful food (breakfast buffet, light supper buffet, and make your own waffles from 3-5). I stayed there in January. The staff were friendly -- there was a small problem with my room (I wanted a tub instead of a shower) and they offered to correct it...in the end I stayed with the room I had, which was a little small by American standards, but well appointed.

In general, I was very pleased.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 June 2007

Centrally located on the main street, this is by my opinion the best place to stay in Lillehammer. Spacious rooms. The last time I stayed there a section of the hotel was renovated. Make sure to get a room facing the back yard. Rooms facing the street can be noisy (especially when the bar across the street closes…)

Very friendly staff. And best of all; A complementary evening buffet! It’s not dinner, but more like a traditional Norwegian evening meal.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Svennis
Reviewed 23 April 2005

Went skiing in Lillehammer in January. Comfort Hotel was very good. Clean and welcoming with a good breakfast and light dinner which was a huge plus. Only gripe was bad mattresses on the beds. Overall good hotel to base yourself for a skiing weekend trip.

• Stayed: January 2005