“Will not put my feet there again”

Bech's Hotel and Camping
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mo i Rana
Bech's Hotel and Camping
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Mo i Rana
Norway
“Will not put my feet there again”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The sign on the door said "Opening hours 8:00 AM - 23:00 PM". I was driving through Mo i Rana and looking for a place to spend the night I ended up at this place. I had some trouble finding the way because of my not so good map, so I arrived later than I had planned, but 22:30 should be OK according to the door sign. The door was closed and only quiet camping guests around their tents were in sight. No door bell, and no persons inside. No sign telling that "this place is full". Nothing. However the lights were on in the reception so I tried to call their phone number, but no answer. While pretty frustrated, sitting in my car calling every other hotel in the city, I can see a guy moving inside, checking that everything is locked and putting the lights out. He disappears quickly somewhere inside the house. By 23.00 two guys comes out on the bench outside, having a beer and sigarettes. Apparently the reception guys would rather sit on their bottoms drinking beer and smoking than letting a the last guests in for the night. They do not even bother to answer the phone. Even though I guess the beer drinking guys were the persons working there, I felt the service was already so bad I would rather sleep in the car than staying this place. I was also travelling alone and didn't feel like interacting with those people.

Objectively, the place looked ok on the outside, quiet, and standard camping place facilities. So if you get in contact with the reception guys, it may be an ok place to spend the night.

However, I payed 800 kr in a double room (I was alone) in a very cozy hotel called Mo Hotel and Gjestegaard, breakfast and service included. Which is about the same price the other reviewers payed for this Bech's place. No doubt in my mind, I would not come back here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank PopcornJellyBean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hengelo, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We've stayed here twice. The first time when we when we went 'up'. The guy at the desk just offered us a double room foor 850 NOK. Nice clean room, included breakfast. On our way 'down' we suddenly had a choice between a room of 950 NOK and 500 NOK. The 500 NOK was a so called camping room: bit smaller, no bedlinen, no towels, no breakfast (70 NOK p.p.). The guy didn't respond to questions, a real pain in the [--]. We took the cheaper room this time and payed for the breakfast.
Rooms and bathroom are OK, breakfast is OK, guy at the reception is NOK!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gummikoe
Norway
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Was on my way south by car from Tromsø. Just needed a bed for the night. Parked outside the room. No breakfast, but clean and spacous room. Cable TV, no internet. Basic bathroom. Paid 500 NOK for one night - that is a very good price. Slept like a baby. Parking in ""down-town" Mo i Rana can be difficultt. Here there was plenty of space. Met the owner, great servicee. Located a few km north of the "city" centre.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank DocHeitmann
Mumbai
Reviewed 4 October 2008

Stayed here for 1 night on the way to Geiranger Fjord from Narvik.

We reached Mo I Rana at around midnight. This was the first place we found. It's a bit off the road ... we saw it's signs on the highway & found it.

The guy at the reception offered us a discount without asking & gave us a room for 600 (instead of 750 Nok).

Once we went to the room, we realized that we'd been given the worst room that was there. There was no heating (the temprature was around 3 degrees celcius outside). The bed was broken ... so it was very uncomfortable to sleep on. When we went again to find him (the phone was not working in the room either), he'd disappeared & refused to come out inspite of ringing the bell to call him. The hotel was quite empty with just a couple who had checked in before us.

He'd told that breakfast was included in the price. The next morning, when we checked out at 8:45 a.m., the same guy told us that breakfast was already over. We didn't care much for the breakfast anyways, but we didn't like the attitude.

Overall I found the management a bit seedy & dishonest.

The room was ok (inspite of being the worst). But mainly due to the attitude, I don't think I'd recommend this place to anyone.

Small tip: anyone coming here from the north should consider staying in Fauske instead where there are many more options.

Another thing: Gas here (petrol / diesel) seemed the cheapest we found in the entire Norway. Consider filling up here if driving through.

• Liked — -
  • Disliked — Bad attitude of the management
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family