“Mediocre and expensive”

Comfort Hotel Ole Tobias
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Mo i Rana
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Good location in the city but the Rooms are very boring and has big empty spaces. Breakfast is quite boring with not to Much to choose from. Free and ok speed on the wifi. The superior room is spacious enough , the view from room 205 is just sad. No bathtube either Even though i asked for it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Comfort Hotel Ole Tobias

Reviewed 11 February 2014

The reservation here was made for me a colleague. I would describe it as a functional place to stay and have breakfast but there is no bar or restaurant so for me, it's not really a hotel.

My room was on the top floor. The decor was quite plain - pine furniture with photos of the town from the late 1800's/ early 1900s. There is a bit of a train theme in the downstairs breakfast room. Being on the top floor had the advantage of good view towards the water and mountains. It had the disadvantage that the shower is not separate from the rest of the bathroom so the floor gets soaked when you shower. This is very inconvenient when you want to go back into the bathroom later to do your hair, look in the mirror, etc. I asked for an extra towel so I could at least put something on the floor to try and avoid putting my feet in puddles.

There was no hairdryer in the room which I found very surprising given that the temperatures outside were below zero. Going out with wet hair is a bad idea. There is no safe, or minibar, or tea/coffee making facilities in the room. There was no electrical socket in the bathroom for shavers or toothbrushes either. There was a dispenser with soap/shower gel but nothing further. There was underfloor heating in the bathroom though, very toasty in the morning and evening!

The room and hotel in general were clean. The receptionist was pleasant and efficient.

I slept well and wasn't disturbed by any traffic. My colleague's room was on the 2nd floor and he found it noisy.

Breakfast was quite disappointing. It's a self-service affair. There was a selection of 3 cereals. No fresh fruit salad. To be fair, the bread was good and there was a selection of fish / pickles / hams etc. There was a warm option - but I took one look at the scrambled egg and decided to leave it where it was!

The hotel offers complimentary coffee and waffles in the afternoon and that is a nice touch. The only trouble is that you have to make them yourself! Having never used a waffle-maker before, I did make a bit of a mess but there was nobody around to ask or help me.

As mentioned above, there is no bar or restaurant, so if you want more than coffee and waffles, you will have to leave the hotel. There is a good restaurant right across the street.

The wifi worked very well on my laptop and phone.

Mo I Rana is quite a small town so everything seemed to be in walking distance. The driver of the airport bus dropped me off at the hotel on my first evening too, which was helpful. To get back to the airport was a NOK400 taxi ride which made me wish I'd taken the bus again.

Would I stay here again? It wasn't bad value (for Norway) but there are other hotels in Mo and I might try one of them first.

Room Tip: Top floor for views if you don't mind getting your feet wet!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2013

As I was on a business trip this fell a little short for me. I missed a min bar to get me something cold to drink, a safe to put my laptop in and the ability to make myself some coffee in the morning. Also the Wi-Fi speed was 0.9/9 MB – yes, this is no typo so maybe to accommodate tourists uploading pictures? I think this would have been a nicer hotel for me if I was coming as a tourist.
There was a desk to work at but half of it was occupied by a large flat screen TV. Unfortunately I didn't have time to watch it so for me it was mostly in the way. The double bed was of the type with two beds on wooden runners that slide very well on the carpet if you try to lie in the middle. Even if I slept alone I nearly ended up on the floor. The room looked modern and being on the corner of the ground floor I had too nice a view of the crossroad outside and had to shut the curtains. The bathroom looked nice and had a heated floor that worked randomly.

I had read unfavourable things about the breakfast and the room downstairs but was presently surprised. It was decorated in old train style with one wall having real old train windows with pictures behind and the old train sets. The selection of food was adequate and was being refilled so it didn't run out of anything the time I was there. I would also have liked to try the free coffee and waffles in the evening, but could not find time for it.
When checking out they tried to charge me standard rate and not my company rate. It was only discovered because I had forgotten I stayed two nights and questioned the price. They were quick to correct it though.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank SawadeeOslo
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The quality of this hotel does not correspond to the high roomprice (about 1200 NOK). The rooms are very basic and has a cheapish look. Several rooms have poor views, either on the ground floor towards the street or towards the appartement building just 15 meters away.

The breakfast is the most negative about the place. The breakfast area is placed below ground with no windows. The breakfast menu is basic/uninteresting.

Pros for this hotel is good service from the receptionist and free waffles in the evening!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Had 2 nights at Svartisen which is owned and driven by OleTobias. Very bad experience: bad air in rooms, very much noise from the outside, not clean. Breakfast below the cellar, no windows, dark. You miss your apetites just entering the room. Breakfast is limited to its minimum despite the high price. If it would be a low cost hotel, all these desagrements would be accepted. But the price category ålaces this hotel among expensive hotels in Norway. Therefore you would also expect some better comfort.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Only stayed here one night on a business trip and did not use the bar or restaurant at all. I've stayed in a lot of hotels around the world, but this must rank as one of the worst I've stayed in. Hotel very shabby inside and out. The room added a new dimension to the word "basic" and looked like it had been furnished from a jumble sale. Nice view from my room window directly into the window of the appartment opposite about 5m away.
We ordered a taxi to take us to dinner but it didn't turn up, and on questioning the receptionist found out she had forgotten to order it. No apology given , just a shrug of the shoulders.
Terrible place.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Craigers1806
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Checkin was fast and friendly.

Room had old furniture with old TV set. Not very nice.

Bathroom in good condition, but very small

WIFI was free and worked well.

Liked that they offered free coffee/tea & waffles in the evening.

Breakfast was below Norwegian standard.

Fairly high room price for this low quality.

I would look for other alternatives.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business