“Obvious proposal”

Cuisines: Seafood, Norwegian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My fiancé told me later that my surprise proposal trip to Tromso was obvious from the beginning. She just didn't know how it was gonna go down. Well the mystery was solved when we stepped into Fiskekompaniet. I have informed Fiskekompaniet of my intention prior to leaving the U.S. so from the moment we walked in we were treated like VIP. They seated us in a large elevated table in middle of the restaurant and started us off with glasses of champagne. "Hmmm...." and if that wasn't a give away our waiter cheesing the whole night like he was high definitely was.

For dinner we chose the seafood tower with lobster prix fixe. Our first course was the grilled scallop on top of pureed seaweed. The bitter seaweed pureed complemented the sweet scallops perfectly.
Second course was the lobster bisque soup poured over chunks of lobster and bits of crispy ham. Another well thought out taste and texture combo.
For our main course we had the tower of crab legs, mussels, shrimps and 2 grilled lobster halves. Everything was fresh and exceptional especially the shrimp. You're probably wondering why the shrimp? Well I've eaten ton of shrimps in my life but this was the first time eating shrimps that were 40 weeks pregnant. My initial reaction when I grabbed the first shrimp was that of shock and horror. I thought it was by pure chance that this poor pregnant shrimp ended up on my plate but once I realized every shrimp on the tower were about to deliver my shock turned into fascination. After a bit of hesitation I dove right in. The shrimp caviar was delicious!!! Morsels of salty, nutty goodness that popped with my mouth was heavenly. To this day I still think about the mama shrimps and it saddens me that I’ll probably never have them again. :(

Once the main course was over I put on my game face. My waiter knew ahead of time to delay the dessert because I was gonna pop the question after the main course. After devouring the last mama shrimp I headed to the bathroom for a quick pep talk to myself. With the ring in my sweaty hand I came back to the table and with small group of waiter and hostess staring on I got on my knees and popped the question. “Will you marry me?” From this point on I can’t tell you much else about the restaurant. I was so pumped up with adrenaline I don’t remember what the dessert tasted like. After the round of applause I think we were served a plate of what look like bite-size cakes, cookies and chocolate. I think they tasted fine and afterwards our bill came. I honestly didn’t even remember what our bill was until I returned home and looked at my cc statement. It was around $350 for the whole dinner and a bottle of champagne which for Tromso is actually good. Overall I would highly recommend Fiskekompaniet for an exceptional meal and service just not for keeping your proposal a secret. ;)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,154)

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Although expensive, as is all Norway for eating out, we went with the chef's choice which was a three course meal including seafood and cod. It was amazing, the cod was really fresh and complimented by the cauliflower (three ways!!). We struggled with the pudding but it was all of a very high standard.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

second time for us in this restaurant
borh time service and wine advice were perfect

the food was great , we had scallops, halibut, and menu for our first visit and it was delicious, a placeto visit if you cometo tromso andenjoy fresh food in a original way

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We came here as the menu looked lovely. We were sat in a booth which was in a nice part of the restaurant. We went for the chefs special 3 course meal which was amazing, everything tasted fresh and delightful. We were so impressed we asked to book the following evening (valentines day) and they kindly re arranged to fit us in. Great staff, amazing food, pricey but you get what you pay for. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We went with the chef's recommendation. The shell fish was the freshest I have ever had, the cod was cooked perfectly and with a surprising selection of flavours which worked perfectly. Add this the views over the harbour and the lovely staff and you have an unforgettable evening.