“Good location, decent bedrooms”

Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Tromso
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We managed to escape the war zone of the Rica Ishavshotel and stayed here for the remainder of our trip.

The rooms much better than the Rica and the breakfast was really good - lovely selection and great views of the harbour and calm atmosphere.

Friendly and helpful staff.

Rooms decent size and clean.

Great location - polar museum near and right by harbour.

Cable car is short taxi drive away over the bridge - with views of the Arctic cathedral.

No views from bedroom, but the location of the hotel makes up for this.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Hjemvoll, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you so much for your review. This is very important to us!

I am so pleased to see you had a nice stay in our hotel, we would be more than happy to accomodate you whenever you visit Tromsø again :-)

Best regards Inger-Helen Hjemvoll/General manager

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel on a VJV trip to Norway to see the Northern Lights etc. The hotel had a very good, relaxed atmosphere. Rooms were small but the bed very comfortable. Bedroom furniture was a bit lacking. We had no bedside table on my side and no drawers in the room. The wardrobe was also very tiny. Annoyingly there was no mirror over the dressing table and unfortunately we had a wet room so that will never get 5 stars from me but just personal preference. Breakfast was very good, plenty of variety but food could be kept warmer than it is. The restaurant had a lovely outlook across the water and around the harbour. The evening menu was a bit sparse so we decided to eat out on both nights. Check in was a bit slow but staff were very polite and helpful. The foyer/bar area was good although later on in the evening it was difficult to find a bar tender! Although there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms there are free beverages readily available in the foyer which can be taken up to your room. Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would visit again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hjemvoll, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate it as it helps us improve our services and routines.

I am pleased to see that despit not everything was as according to our standard and your expectations you enjoied your stay. New drawers are on their way to our rooms at this moment!

We do look forward to welcome you back whenever you deside to visit Tromsø again.

Best regards Inger-Helen Hjemvoll / General Manager

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 4 night in late november -13. The room was ok, but view to a narrow backstreet. The desk lamp didn't work, one spotlight in the bathroom was loose, the waste bin in the bathroom was loose and the shower gel dispenser fell down when used. Comfortable bed and comfortable but small room.
The worst thing was one night when the wind was strong I woke up by a terrible noise, sounded like the wall was going to fall down. This showed out to be a sign secured with chains that was bellowing in the wind. I called the receptionist who did his best to fix it, but it kept me awake half the night. I was told I would get a new room, but when I got back the next day I got no new room and no other apology. I would at least expect to get some kind of refund.
Otherwice the service was great, as was the breakfast. I jused the gym/relax department witch also was very nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Hjemvoll, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for rating us at Tripadvisor, this is very important to us as it helps us to improve our services an routines.

I am so sorry about your bad sleep in our hotel, unfortunately this is not always something we can do anything about. When it comes to change of room or any kind of refund I totaly agree and appology this was not done in a proper manner. I cannot do anything about your previous stay but I would much appreciate if you contact me whenever visitting Tromsø again, I will arrange a free upgrade for you!

I am glad you enjoyed our service and breakfast :-)

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Pros: good location, right on the waterfront, great for viewing the lights when visible from the city, and the New Years Eve fireworks. Rooms are a good size (we had a standard and a moderate). All of the pick ups for tours are nearby (Rica, Radisson, Tourist Information etc). It's an easy walk to the Arctic Cathedral. The jacuzzi sounds good, but we didn't realise it was there before arrival. Hotel website should be clearer! The breakfast is great with a lot of choice, and goes on until 11 am, which is important with night trips. Busiest times seems to be after 10 am. Nice heated floor in bathroom. Lots of sockets. Friendly staff. Mini bar, prices OK by local standards. Can store own drinks etc. good TV, many stations in English.
Cons: nowhere to put clothes. Bit noisy, trucks and busses ( audible on 3 rd floor). Cleaning a bit hit and miss; one room not ready on arrival at night to surprise of check- in staff, and one room not cleaned at all on one day (though we didn't help by sleeping till lunch time). No kettle, which would be very much appreciated in expensive city. Can't control room temperature, and found a bit warm. Bulb in bathroom not working. One towel in double bathroom, though found another in room. Not sure of Norwegian categories, but I would rate as 3 1/2, not 4 star. Does have room service, small bar which never seems busy.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TripAway7

Thank you so much for rating us at Tripadvisor, this is very important to us and helps us to improve our services and routines.

I am sorry housekeeping did not perform properly during your stay and I can assure you we do what we can to avoid this.

We do hope to see you again in our hotel if you ever decide to visit Tromsø again.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I arrived to this hotel with my small 5 years old child and my wife about 1am and there were several people (me included) without the room we have been booked, because a problem with the cleaning staff and rooms were not prepared. So I had to be moved to an other hotel the first night with my child and the cold of outside.

Second day I arrived again and I had a reservation for a Deluxe Room with a double bed and extra for the child, and they gave me a room extremely small, with 3 separed beds with windows sights to the rubish containers outside. It was the 212 room number, a terrible room.

Next day I decided to leave that hotel to give to another Tromso hotel an oportunity to give me a good experience and finally I've got it.

I never will come back to this hotel and never will recomend it, it was really my worst hotel experience in my life.

Room Tip: better go to any other hotel. There are 3 and 4 stars hotels in the area that are lot better that th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Ruben B

Dear Ruben,

I am so sorry about your experience in our hotel. This is not the kind of service we are known to provde. I am very surprised but also greatful for your review, this gives us the opportunity to improve our services and ensure everyone knows our routines and policies. I know I can not do anything about your previous stay, but I would be most greatful if you contact me whenever you decide to visit Tromsø again. I can promise you we will give you a much better experience as our service are well known to be excellent.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel as part of a short break with my family. Hotel was great and room was of a decent size. Only improvement was it could have done with a control for temperature in room as it was a bit cool in the afternoon. Staff were all lovely though and location is amazing. You can walk or get a bus to anywhere on the main road outside the hotel.
Hot tub on top floor fab and will be staying here again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank melyn27042

Thank you so much for rating us on Tripadvisor. This is very important to us as ith hels us improve our services and routines.

We really do look forward to welcome you back to our hotel!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Positives: Right in Tromso centre and next to ocean. Amazing breakfast for fish and meat lovers alike. Jacuzzi on roof with view (but needs to be hotter in winter!) and sauna. Tours and buses leave from within 2 mins walk from hotel. Clean and nice ambience. Free 24h soda water and tea/coffee in lobby. Negatives - jacuzzi and sauna close at 11pm. Queen beds only have base sheet and 2 single sized duvet covers. Not appropriate for a couple. Need a second sheet and one single duvet cover. Our room was small compared to other rooms on the same floor. Should be cheaper considering the room was very small. No kettle in room.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maria N

Thank you so much for rating us! This is very important to us and hels us improve our services and routines.

We are at this moment supplying kettles to all rooms - this has only been available in superior and deluxe rooms.

We do hope to welcome you back in our hotel if you ever visit Tromsø again :-)