We choose this hotel on the strength of the Trip Advisor reviews, as did a number of others we met, and were not disappointed. A prefect location in the centre of Tromso with amazing views over the harbour to the famous Ice Cathedral. The rooms are clean and a good size with under floor heating in the bathroom which was very welcome. Towels are in abundance which makes a chance from some hotels we've stayedin previously. The staff are very friendly and most speak perfect english so are only too happy to help. Another plus point is that the housekeeping staff do not start cleaning room until after 10.30 so there is no chance of being woken at some ridiculous time like in some other hotels! Finally, the sauna and steam facilities on the 6th Floor (take the lift to the 5th floor and go up the wooden steps) are a must for the views and the free beer even if it is only 2.5%!!
Tromo - a University town where there is not a huge amount to do in the winter. Polaria is worth a visit for the seal show alone but you can only spin it out to an hour or so at the very most. The walk across the bridge is a must for some great pictures of the harbour and the Ice Cathedral. The Mack brewery tour is also, apparently, worth a visit but beware that it is only done Monday-Thursday and starts at 13.30. The cable car is closed in the winter.
Walking conditions - make sure, in the winter, you have sturdy footwear as some of the pavements and roads are impacted ice and impossible to walk in normal shoes/boots.
Food - restaurants in Tromso are very expensive and it's almost impossible to get a table at a good restaurant unless you book ahead (we asked the receptionists to do this for us). The Biff Hauset was very good and we would recommend the Reindeer for those brave enough to try it. In terms of the hotel offerings, the breakfast was adequate but what stood out for us was the extras such as the afternoon waffles, the tea/coffee/hot chocolate and the evening "light meal". Unfortunately dinner started at 6pm and as most evening trip pick ups were at this time we didn't get to try it but it looked good.
Trips - don't worry about booking trips before you get there as the Tourist Information are extremely helpful and happy to do this on your behalf. However, I think they are closed at weekends or have very restricted hours on Saturday so don't leave booking your weekend trips until Saturday. The one trip we did book before leaving the UK was dog sledging with Artic Pathfinders, a company who doesn't advertise through the Tourist Information office, which was fantastic and well worth it. We were the only two on the trip and our guide Marco couldn't have been anymore helpful allowing us to drive the huskies and taking us on a 12km ride through the snow! The other trip we did was with Kjetil Skloli called "chasing the northern lights" (booked through the Tourist Info). He is a photographer and has been known to drive to the Finnish border, 2 hours drive, to catch the Lights so we were advised that this was our best chance of seeing them. He's not the most talkative person in the world, it would have been nice to have an introductory discussion about what the Lights actually are, but the experience of seeing the Lights more than makes up for it. A good camera is a must!!! A word of warning for this trip is that you do stay outside for about 6/8 hours, it was -4 when we were there, and although Kjetil has thermal suits in the van he doesn't offer them until you are on the point of frost bite. Ask for them as soon as you get to the location as it doesn't matter how many layers you have on. Also, make sure he lights the fire as he kept talking about it to us but never quite did it! We met some fab people on this trip (hello to everyone from London) so it's well worth it.
Sundays - Tromso lterally shuts down on a Sunday (all shops and attractions are closed) so make sure you book a day time trip if you feel the need to be active.
Overall we had a fantastic time in both Tromso and the Clarion Collection With. The location in the centre of town was perfect and the hotel had good sized rooms, amazing views and friendly staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Clarion Collection Hotel With is perfectly located in the harbor of the city center. Here you are only 50 meters away from the main street of Tromso, close to restaurants and shopping. At all Clarion Collection Hotels the guests have included breakfast, coffee/tea all day, waffles from 15:00(3pm)to 18:00(6pm) and light evening buffet from 18:00(6pm) to 21:00(9pm). The light evening buffet consists of one hot soup, one hot dish and bread. Not a big dinner buffet, but for most of our guests a really satisfying dinner. This makes Clarion Collection Hotel With a really cheap alternative for tourists visiting Tromso. We also offer a relax room with sauna and a steam room at the top of the hotel. Welcome to a warm and friendly hotel where you can feel at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Nordic Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Clarion Collection Hotel With reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clarion Collection With Hotel
- Clarion Collection Tromsø
- Clarion Tromso
- Tromsø Clarion