“Warmth in the Cold”

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Tromso
Perth, Australia
“Warmth in the Cold”
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights recently in December, it is classed as a budget hotel but I think it was more like a 3 and half to 4 star hotel. The room was clean, the bathroom was clean, and it was great having heated flooring in the bathroom. The view I can't comment on cause it was mostly darkish in Tromso during the day and I was out. When back in my room it was dark so who needs a view.
The reception staff were lovely, they were friendly and helpful. They checked out things for me online, as the sites were in Norwegion and I couldn't read the language. And they all speak English like it's their first language.
The breakfast was Excellent, it was served in the adjoining Egan cafe. Very European, good
value and filling. You could also dine there for the evening meal if you wanted.
I would stay here again if I went back to Tromso.
The bus to and from the airport is just around the corner outside the Grand Rica hotel cafe, so there is easy access to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Kate P
AidSchei, General Manager at Thon Hotel Polar, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, and hope
you will return to us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 18 December 2011

As the only "budget hotel", I can' imagine why you would pay more for a different hotel. The Thon Polar was comfortable and the staff very helpful. It had everything I needed and nothing I didn't. The location was within an easy distance to see most things in the city center. I couldn't manage to figure out how to call a Norwegian number on my cell phone and the front desk staff was very helpful calling multiple times for me.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for your positive feedback.
We hope you will return to us in the future.
Watford
Reviewed 17 December 2011

It's in Norway, a budget hotel is always going to cost more than a budget hotel in other parts of the World, but the Hotel Polar was worth every penny.

I understand there are 'older' and 'newer' room, and I had one of the newer rooms so I'm only able to comment on that but it's was lovely. It was clean, felt spacious, the beds were comfortable and a special mention needs to go out for the bathroom. The shower was lovely and the floor, ah the floor. I'm sure it's a common place, but as I usually stay in the lower end of the range hotels I've not come across it before; it radiated warmth but it was a pleasure just to stand on it.

The free breakfast done the job, nothing special to write home about but the restaurant itself felt very cosy and warm, it had a charm about it. I had dinner one evening there and the food was good and not too pricey (relatively speaking).

As with most of the hotels in Tromso, the location was more or less in the middle of everything. Nothing was more than a 5-10 minute walk away, including any bus stops for getting to those further away places. The pick-ups for all the tours were only minutes walk away.

I'm not somebody who looks for luxuries in my hotels, and all in all this was a brilliant hotel and I really enjoyed my stay, comes with my highest recommendations.

Room Tip: I was 'offered' an upgrade to a newer room on arrival, if you aren't it might be worth a...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Alankeyyyy
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, and hope
you will return to us in the future.
Iceland
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Staff very friendly, room nice and clean, good breakfast, right in the town center

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Maybe it was that we had been roughing it for so long but we thought this hotel was excellent. It looked brand new. Was clean. The staff were so so helpful. The bed was comfortable and the shower hot! We even popped over to the expensive Thon hotel across the road to use their internet because the lobby computer at the budget hotel was broken. Ours seemed just as nice as the pricey one!

Great buffet brekkie too!!! Those meatballs were delicious!

Oh and its super easy to use the airport bus to get to and from this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CarleeBrisbane
AidSchei, General Manager at Thon Hotel Polar, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Thank you for taking time to comment on your stay with us. Your positive review has been shared with everyone here. We hope you will consider coming back to Tromsø and Thon Hotel Polar in the future.
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I have booked our room from this hotel based on the reviews. However, since all the hotels we had stayed in Norway had seperate beds, i specially asked for a French bed at the reception on arrival. This kind receptionist checked the rooms and told me that they had no rooms available for us as per my request but he directed us to the hotel just across the street (which was also a member of the Thon chain). The hotel was more expensive and upper standart then Thon Hotel Polar but they accepted us from the same price and gave us a French Bed. It was just very polite.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 9 July 2011

stayed 3 nights in June with my wife, very good location, friendly and helpfull staff, rooms are standard size, good bed, nice furniture. very good breakfast in hotel restaurant. no coffe/tea/kettle in room, free coffee in lobby. poor room cleaning service (dust on table)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family