“Good value comfortable lodgings”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Thon Hotel Polar

Thon Hotel Polar
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Tromso
Kilkdare, Ireland
“Good value comfortable lodgings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

Small rooms with small single beds but beds very comfortable. Rooms a bit too warm and too noisy with window open. Coffee and tea in lobby but not in rooms. Everywhere very clean, staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast in restaurant adjoining hotel - very adequate buffet included in price. Restaurant also nice for quick evening meal and "pizza deal" up to 6.00pm very good value.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bridget M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

We stayed in Thon Hotel Polar just for two nights, but it was terrible and the worst stay we ever experienced. We arived at aprox.11:00 but were told to wait till 15:00 that our rooms are not ready and there were just few little rooms that are not for us. When we arrived at 15:00 we got the smallest room in the whole hotel, It was just one and a half bed and little table, that was all. Our firends (couple) had 3 times bigger room with sofa, large bed, two tables,.... for the same price. At the same day we ordered the early breakfast for our leaving day (receptionist Amanda booked it for 1 day earlier) Next day in the morning after breakfast we could not open the door to the room. My partner had to go to reception 6 times to get the room open (I was waiting almost 15 minutes in front of the door). We were told that it will be repaired as soon as possible. In the afternoon about 16:00 when we arrived, we realized that the lock was not repaired. I had to again wait for 10 minutes and my partner ran 3 times to recepiton. At the end we got two options. We can stay in the room and receptionist will open it for us when we need to get in to room, or we can get different room. Our room was not done at all, no made bed, no changed towels, NOTHING - NO SERVICE. We decided to get different room. We were more than shocked. We got 4 times bigger room. We waited first day 4 hours for nothing. We wanted to talk to some manager of the hotel, because receptionist was not able to do anything. We wanted discount for all those troubles the hotel did to us. NO PERSON wanted to talk to us. Because we paid the hotel when we arrived so they didnt have reason to talk to us. We got just email address we can use now. We paid lots of money and we didnt get anything. It was the worst experience we ever had. We feel like that hotel LIED and CHEATED on us.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank SonaH
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2011

The hotel has a great central location in Tromso one street behind the main street. The main sites within the city are all walkable from the hotel.
The staff were very helpful, very friendly and pointed me in the right direction for all the sites!
My room was actually much nicer than I thought, the bathroom is dated but all very clean.
Free wifi and coffee, tea etc.
Breakfast was better than I expected for a budget hotel and there was plenty of space and plenty of fresh food.
I wouldn't pay the additional for the smarter hotels unless you want a view over the fjord!

• Stayed February 2011
Bergen, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

Thon Hotel Polar is a newly refurbished hotel, just across the street from the slightly more expensive Thon Hotel Tromsø. Hotel Polar is a no-frills, modern hotel. My room was new and big, with amenities like free wi-fi, a small flat screen TV, a work desktop and a sofa. No minibar, though. The bathroom was also new, big and clean, but simple.

The people at the desk were friendly and helpful during check-in and in guiding me around town. The breakfast in Egon restaurant was OK - no more, no less. Though it was a bit annoying to eat breakfast in the smell of a pizza restaurant.

The hotel is very central, and had everything I needed in a clean, but rather anonymous package. And a reasonable price (for Norway). I would stay here again for business, but not on a romantic trip.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank thomas1973
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in July 2010. Easy and problem-free check-in. I arrived early in the morning and was assigned a room straight-away. The room was located in the top floor with view overlooking another Thon Hotel across the street. The room, especially the bathroom, was in need of some refurbishment, but clean and of acceptable standard. As I stayed in the summer, there was midnight sun at night, making it somewhat difficult to sleep. At the booking site, the hotel promises black curtains, but in my room this was absent. Very nice and polite staff at the front desk. Breakfast at the nearby Egon Restaurant; fair, but definitely holds potential for improvement. Centrally located in Tromso, most attractions within five minutes walking distance. All in all, fair and cheap hotel in central Tromso. Can be recommended for a few nights stay, but the next time, I will probably try another hotel in a higher price class.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Stjordal, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

I lived here for one night in June 2010.

The room was small, but OK and clean. The price was not low, but you don't get low prices on hotels in Norway.

I got a room in the 3rd floor, but some of my friends got room in the 1st floor (2 etg in Norwegian way of thinking). I could open my window, but in the 1st floor it seemed like you can't open the window, so during summer - it can get pretty hot in there.

The breakfast was in the Egon restaurant on ground floor, and was ok.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

There are two Thon hotels directly across the street from each other. Thon City (or Tromso) and Thon Polar. We stayed in the cheaper of the two, Thon Polar.

As a group of four, we had to wait a few moments when checking in for them to make up our room. While we were waiting, my husband and I moved the car from the closer parking garage to a cheaper and larger garage about a block away. I suggest you start in that one to begin with, as the smaller one is extremely difficult to get out of.

The hotel offers breakfast in the attached restaurant (offered at a discounted rate to hotel guests), though we opted out of that and walked to Ica (the grocery store nearby) instead. After walking through the hotel at breakfast time, it seemed as though we made the right choice. We did eat there for dinner, and were not impressed. It was a great looking place with many seats and great atmosphere, but the food was a bit lacking. It was Norway though, and still expensive (as Norway has been the most expensive country I have ever visited, and I lived in Stockholm!)

The room once it was made up, was great. We were four adults, and we each had a separate, comfortable bed. The couch was opened to make for one bed, we had a roll away and then two twins. The room was still large enough for us to stash our suitcases and walk around comfortably.

We traveled during the midnight sun, and the curtains were able to block most of the light out. Two bad they didn't have Velcro to attach the curtains to the walls though. The windows cover the whole wall, so the curtains had a tough job trying to keep the light out. They did reasonably well.

The bathroom was stylish, and well stocked. The room had a decent sized television with English speaking channels.

The free coffee available in the lobby, however, is awful. I suggest buying a better brew.

All in all, not too shabby of a place. I don't see why you would pay more to be across the street, when this hotel is very nice, modern and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends