“Unprofessional and terrible service”

Arctic Guide Service Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Magdeburg, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Unprofessional and terrible service”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I unfortunately booked a tour with this terrible company on the 31st of December so my wife and I could see the northern lights just before the new year. I booked on the phone and repeatedly ask if I should go to their office and pay by cash, they said everything was fine and my place was booked. When I arrived to take the tour I was informed that one bus had broke down and since I hadnt paid then I couldn't have a place in the remaining two busses. I understand stuff like this can happen but PLEASE have the decency of picking up the phone and using 50 cents of your credit to call the customer and tell him to find a place elsewhere. At that time all the tours were booked and we couldnt get on any tour. We didn't even get an apology from them. Luckily a local told us to go to Telegrafbukta and we had a beautiful northern lights show for free. My advice is to buy a good bottle of wine and go there to have a nice show. If you still decide to book a tour, avoid this company at all cost as they could end up ruining your Tromso experience with their irresponsability and terrible customer service.

Visited December 2013
7 Thank Sevinc B
AgsTromso, Manager at Arctic Guide Service Day Tours, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Sevinc B,

Non of our buses broke down on December 31st and we had extra space available. I am 100% sure that you contacted another company that we know had overbooked its capacity on that date. I see that you come for Germany and I know that Germans are very precise so I ask you to please call again the number you called that day and double check the name of the person and company who answers. Once you find out which company did this to you please delete this review and post it on their TripAdvisor page.

If you have any doubts please send us an email to tromso@arcticguideservice.com

Kind regards,

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Trip”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Both guides were very informative and exceptionally helpful, setting up every-one's cameras to enable them to get the best shots. Although we did chase the lights for numerous hours it was unfortunately a bit late in the year and not much to see with the naked eye. Having said that i would recommend them any time.

1 Thank Cheryl012014
Corsham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Exceptional”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

We were lucky enough to see stunning displays at four different locations, with a really friendly and knowledgable guide and driver . They also provided free professional photos of the evening . Very tired by 2.30am return !!

Stockholm, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“amazing tour”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I really enjoyed this tour because our guide Ricardo and the bus driver were amazing! it was so organized and you could tell Ricardo was well informed regarding where to take us chasing the northern lights. He took us to a beautiful spot where we had a northern lights show of abour an hour and he was so kind to take great pictures of this experience. I strongly recommend this tour because it is well organized and really entertaining. I had a blast!! thank you so much again!

1 Thank Olivia_GN20
Brisbane, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Northern Lights chase with big bus”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have to say that big buses full of people are not the best way to chase the northern lights - but that's MY opinion. Unfortunately we had booked small tours only for our first two nights in Tromso, and left the last night available in case we wanted to go again, but everyone else was fully booked so we had to go in a big bus with these guys. At least it is possible to go with them without booking in advance - you can pretty much check the sky and decide to go on a tour, and they will have space available.
So the departure from the hotel was chaotic. There were several buses, and people queuing or trying to get in first, the guides were lost, running from one bus to the other, making hundreds of head counts and trying to accommodate everyone, taking people from one bus and putting into another (still can't understand why)...we left with 30 minutes delay.
There were two guides on board - apparently one was new, so he basically read a piece of paper. The second one was more experienced and very nice - he gave a full explanation about the aurora and also taught people how to configure their cameras - best of all, he almost begged for people to turn the flash off, which we really appreciated!
We drove for around an hour and from the windows we could already see the aurora dancing in the sky, but they said they usually drive to specific places where the bus and all the people can fit. At least the buses split around these locations, so you don't have more than one bus in the same location.
On arrival we were given a high visibility vest and off we went to find the best spot to set our tripods. The place was very good, actually. It was dark and with a lot of space for everyone to move, and it was close to the water, so ground was grass and rocks, not snow and ice. We stayed for a long time there with the aurora displaying all the time. The bus was kept warm and they offered biscuits and hot chocolate. The guide also came to check on us after a while.
When the aurora fainted, they decided to leave to another place, and I think it's because people were getting bored (??). When we were driving back the aurora became very strong, but the bus could not stop and by the time they found a spot to park, it was gone. That was terrible.
We still stopped on a third location, but there was not much to see so we headed home and arrived at around 12:30am.
All in all, it was a good night because we did see the aurora and the first place they took us was very nice, but I'll refrain from giving them a better review due to the fact that they were completely disorganized on departure and they cannot stop everywhere because of the bus size.

1 Thank RobertaWB