“Chasing the Northern Lights wtih Kjetil”

The AuroraChaser Kjetil Skogli
Ranked #34 of 72 Outdoor Activities in Tromso
More attraction details
Owner description: I'm the AuroraChaser and as one of first one, if not the first one, who started with real flexible tour to chase the northern lights I have many,many years of experience doing this.Local knowlegde about the weather, professional photography and good knowlegde in astromony makes me able to give you a good experience and increase your chance to see and photograph the elusive Aurora Borealis. People has been writing about me long time before I got this profile and I actually think you find more "reviews" about me outside this profile. I also had the pleasure to work with celebrities like Joanna Lumley, Brian Cox, Queens Brain May and Roger Taylor, Fern Brittain and Globo Sportos Clayton Conservani. Feel free to give me a feedback from your experience from my tours.
Reviewed 28 October 2012

In October I chased the Northern Lights with Kjetil. His website makes it very easy to register. His tour is best for those serious about photographing the NL. He is an amazing photographer and can help you with your camera to best capture pictures of the NL. We met him in downtown Tromso about 7 pm and he took us (8 - smaller group was nice) to a fiord away from the city lights. We waited until midnight with only a glimmer of lights. He said let's stay a few more minutes and about 12:15 am the NL filled the sky. Some of my tour group had been on 2 prior tours with Kjetil that week and had seen the NL on both nights. It was a magical experience that I hope you will have a chance to experience.

3  Thank TravelFoodieTex

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Kjetil Skogli's "hunting Aurora's" tours are the very best. We did two nights in Jan 2012, both absolutely excellent. Being a professional photographer, Kjetil gives you very good advice and assistance in getting good photos. He spends time with each photographer. The small groups makes it most enjoyable and he takes you out into the countryside to various places, ensuring you will have a good view - the one night we did 170 km!. We were not back unitl 2:30 or 03:00 in the mornings. Make sure you wear the clothes he suggests in his lists, specially the shoes. Photographers: mitts are better than vingered gloves - you have to take your hand out to set the camera, and it is easier wth mitts. A tripod is a must and you have to know your camera very well - it is pitch dark out in the mountains.

3  Thank johnnievw
Reviewed 20 April 2012

On 29 March 2012 we were taken by Kjetil on an intriguing chase for the Lights. He drove us to various vantage points whilst monitoring the sky and consulting various devices. After a couple of hours Kjetil pulled over next to a scenic lake, with snow covered mountains as the backdrop. He served some hot tea, coffee and cake, and then said that we should set up our cameras as the Lights were about to appear - which they did, in spectacular fashion. One of the benefits of Kjetil is that he is also a professional photographer, so he is able to advise on correct camera settings. He is also able to provide a tripod for a fee. I would not have had any hope of taking decent photos without reference to Kjetil's photographic expertise. As it turned out we now have some great photos and memories of our night chasing the Lights. Highly recommended.

6  Thank Phil B
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We were assured that even though we are not particularly interested in photography, it was worth going with Kjetil and it definitely was! Just 7 passengers in a car that can stop at any lay-by and allow people plenty of space to get tripods etc out for long photographic sessions, away from masses of other tourists. Kjetil prides himself in finding the Lights if they are there and he certainly has all the equipment and know-how to do it. We had 3 stops, had some amazing viewings, with lots of different colours and shapings. Although we had seen a great deal by 11ish, he took us on further for yet another stop and we didn't return to Tromso before 1.30am! He's also very knowledgeable about the solar system. It's great that he appears so enthusiastic, even when he has to go out with tourists night after night. One complaint - he hasn't emailed us the group photo with superb lights behind us- we need it as proof to our doubting friends!

5  Thank Rio62
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I have just returned from four very enjoyable days (and nights) in Tromso.

Like many others I had heard of Kjetil Skogli through the BBC programme with Joanna Lumley and as a enthusiastic amateur photographer, Kjetil seemed the perfect person for my first night hunting for the Northern Lights.

Kjetil is more expensive that some of the other tours but you definitely get what you pay for and if you are looking for a small group (8 people) with an extremely enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide and expert photographer he is the man for you (followed by Guide Gunnar, which is slightly cheaper but with a bigger group (15 people) but also very enthusisatic and persistant!).

On the night of my tour, Tromso was covered by a thick layer of cloud with very little wind, which was apparently one of the worst combinations available. However, Kjetil consulted his satalite weather guide on his equipment and decided to head due north for the coast, where he believed there could be more wind and less cloud. This proved to be an inspired decision and we were rewarded with a good show for at least 30 minutes before the clouds closed in.

On returning to the hotel, we discovered that we were one of the very few people to have seen anything that night and the only other lucky party had been with one of the other guides who share Kjetil's Tromso base and who Kjetil had called to tell them where to go.

Kjetil also provided me with some great tips for taking photos (for anyone interested, 3.5 Appature at ISO 1600 for 20 Secs for my particular lens, which only goes down to 3.5).

Overall I would thoroughly recommend Kjetil and he will definitely give you one of the best chances of seeing the lights. He is a delightful individual who is passionate about what he does. My only other advice is book up very early as I understand 12/13 is already starting to get busy.

4  Thank Paul B