“Best night out in the cold ever!”

The AuroraChaser Kjetil Skogli
Ranked #30 of 75 Outdoor Activities in Tromso
More attraction details
Owner description: I'm the AuroraChaser and as one of first one, if not the first one, who started with real flexible tour to chase the northern lights I have many,many years of experience doing this.Local knowlegde about the weather, professional photography and good knowlegde in astromony makes me able to give you a good experience and increase your chance to see and photograph the elusive Aurora Borealis. People has been writing about me long time before I got this profile and I actually think you find more "reviews" about me outside this profile. I also had the pleasure to work with celebrities like Joanna Lumley, Brian Cox, Queens Brain May and Roger Taylor, Fern Brittain and Globo Sportos Clayton Conservani. Feel free to give me a feedback from your experience from my tours.
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The one and only, the original Aurora Hunter, we had the opportunity to spend two nights out with Kjetil last November, memorable nights, book early he is a popular man, well worth it.
Rob Buchanan

TheAuroraChaser, Owner at The AuroraChaser Kjetil Skogli, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you for your review. I was great to do the chase with you and I hope you have many good memories from your trip to Tromsø.

All reviews
"no extra charge"
"biscuits"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 4 October 2013

The night I got into Tromsø it was raining and I saw that night's tour had been cancelled so I worried that my tour the next night my also be cancelled. The next day it was drizzly all day but but Kjetil Skogli thought we could find some clear areas so off we went....and... He found them!

Awesome!

I will note keep your expectations low as (a) you might not get to see them and (b) they might be dim. On our night they were pretty dim. Of the hour+ we stood outside in a few different locations only about 3 episodes lasting 2-3 minutes were bright enough to easily notice. The rest were visible if you knew what to look for but if Kjetil had not been there to point it out I probably would have mistaken them for mist and not noticed them fluctuating, flicking, and changing. The cameras though can see better and so I got some pretty nice pictures of all kinds.

We were with Kjetil for 7.5 hours. He drove us 337k (209 miles)

Note to camera peeps, if you really want to take fancy pictures you'll need a full frame camera with high speed wide angle lens like a 24mm F/1.4 I had a micro 4/3rds with a 7mm F/4 lens and I had to put it at ISO 6400 and use 2-10 seconds shots to get pictures and then of course at that ISO there were pretty grainy. I cleaned them up in lightroom and I'm happy with them but I just thought I'd try to set expectations.

I don't think I can post links here but if you want to find my pictures check out flickr, user greggman. Otherwise I attached a few with this review.

1  Thank greggman
Kjetil S, Owner at The AuroraChaser Kjetil Skogli, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thanks Greegman.

You never knwo how the lights will be. For me all northern lights are a bonus and I'm always happy to be able to find celar skies for my guests.

Even if you don't really need a fullframe camera, it help a lot. And also the lens need to be of a desent good quality. Never the less, use the equpiment you have and enjoy. Thanks for posting a review.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Simply put, Kjetil Skogli is the best guide for seeing the Northern Lights! If they are there to see, Kjetil will get you to a place to best see them. My family went there in September and we had a wonderful time. The weather cooperated, but the lights did not. It didn't matter - Kjetil provided one of the best guided experiences I ever had. His technical knowledge of photography was invaluable. His conversation skills and pleasant manor was most enjoyable during the inactive periods. His preparation was impeccable. His access to real-time technology to aid in predictions was top-notch. He even had firewood for a camp fire if needed. His tireless dedication to his customers was evident at all times. He justs makes sure you get what you paid for. When (not if) I go back to Tromso to see the Northern Lights, I will absolutely make sure I book the tour with Kjetil - that is if there is room on his schedule (if fills up fast!)

TheAuroraChaser, Owner at The AuroraChaser Kjetil Skogli, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Hi

Thanks for your review and for booking tours with me.
Even if the lights did not filled the hole sky, I will state it to be good :) September is often a good time for visiting Tromsø, both lights and weather wise.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Our family toured with Kjetil in 2012 and 2013. He always took us to the most fantastic locations and even if we were under the clouds he found a gap in them. We saw some fantastic displays of the Aurora Borealis on both trips. His knowledge and determination is unsurpassed! Not to mention his dry sense of humour :-)

If you want to see the Northern Lights then we highly recommend him. We had an absolutely unforgettable couple of tours and are going back again this October for more!

Hi

Thanks for your review and for booking tours with me.

It is always nic ewhen people return and become addictied to the Northern lights and Tromsø :)

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I will start this review by saying on our tour we did not see the NL and this was not a factor in my rating. Unfortunatly while we were there Norway had the wettest period in 47 years and the clouds were sooo low for a week or so. I understand that Kjetil has no control over this so therefore can not review him in the slightest on this.

Having read all the reviews here maybe my expectations were to high. Kjetil picked us up on time and advised we were on route to Finland to try and see the lights. I was expecting some conversation from him on this drive, maybe about the lights or Norway in general but there was nothing.

I was expecting a tea or coffee or biscuit or cold drink at some time during the 8 hour tour - there was nothing.

I was expecting some assistance with the camera when we stopped even though we couldn't see the lights in the sky, Kjetil noted the camera can pick them up but was quite un interested in camera settings etc.

He did try his best to find the lights. I just found it a shame that there were other service types things missing.

3  Thank fairyprincess_00786
Kjetil S, Manager at The AuroraChaser Kjetil Skogli, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Hi.

The weather always control whats happens on the tours. It mean when it is cloudy all over and we drive relentless to find some gaps i the clouds,etc, some of the other things on the tour will be put on hold. As informed on my website, to find clear skies is the major task. Because of the weahter and hard conditions, I unfornunalty sometime forget(as I'm so concentrated on the weather), or don't find time, to have coffee and tea.
And even if it is a photo-tour and not an "ordinary" tour( the diffference are explained on my website, the evening can pass without possibility for taking photos.

Thanks for you review and I promise to remember at least to serve coffee and tea, regardsless bad condtions. I hope you had a good time In Tromsø and on my tour anyway.