“Dedicated professional”

The AuroraChaser Kjetil Skogli
Ranked #32 of 67 Outdoor Activities in Tromso
More attraction details
Owner description: I'm the AuroraChaser and as one of first one, if not the first one, who started with real flexible tour to chase the northern lights I have many,many years of experience doing this.Local knowlegde about the weather, professional photography and good knowlegde in astromony makes me able to give you a good experience and increase your chance to see and photograph the elusive Aurora Borealis. People has been writing about me long time before I got this profile and I actually think you find more "reviews" about me outside this profile. I also had the pleasure to work with celebrities like Joanna Lumley, Brian Cox, Queens Brain May and Roger Taylor, Fern Brittain and Globo Sportos Clayton Conservani. Feel free to give me a feedback from your experience from my tours.
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Whereas most tours take 15 + people this one is limited to 6 and the guide is extremely dedicated and experienced.- if anyone can find the lights he will (that was told to us by almost everyone we came across in Tromso including other northern lights tour guides!) . He constantly uses technology on his smartphone to predict when the activity will arrive and uses constant live weather updates to find a gap in the cloud. Unfortunately on our trip the cloud became too heavy just as the activity was about to start and we missed out (again!) but it says everything about him that we had a lovely night anyway - good company and tea and biscuits on the beach around a fire. He didn't give up driving around until 2.30 a.m. when even we could see it was hopeless as the cloud cover was inescapable. This trip may not have the frills of others (no soup for instance) but it is definitely the one to go with.

TheAuroraChaser, Owner at The AuroraChaser Kjetil Skogli, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2014

Hi and thanks for your review.

Sometimes the conditions are just to much, even if we do what we can and use all our experience and knowlegde to fin dclear skie or the lights.
I'm pleased to hear you had a good time anyway and I hope the coffe, sweet snacks etc. made a bit up for the lack of soup.
As informed on my website I have coffee,tea and sweet snacks on my tour and no other meals or similar.

Sorry my very late response on this review. I see I have a missed some from last season.

The AuroraChaser

Reviewed 4 March 2014

After watching the Joanna Lumley documentary on the Northern Lights I added seeing the lights to my lifes wish list. Finding that Kjetil was the programmes guide I was determined to travel with him.

We had to wait a whole year as Kjetil was fully booked, so in order to guarantee our place we booked a year in advance. We were not disappointed.

Kjetil has a wealth of experience but above all he has a passion for showing you the lights. He does not possess a magic wand, this is left to nature. However if the lights are there, he will do his utmost to find clear skies and take you to a location that is great for photography.

As a professional photographer Kjetil gives you as much help and advice on getting you the best shots as you wish. You only need to ask. His groups are small consisting of only seven, making it easy to mix.;

We booked three nights with Kjetil and had a fantastic time. If you would like a guide who is friendly, knowledgeable, has a passion for his subject and wants to get you to the best locations for your photos, then Kjetil is the guide for you.

A five star experience.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Booked this trip 12 months in advance as a 50th birthday present for my wife. We booked 3 nights in order to get the best chance of seeing the lights. We spent each night in different locations, getting the best views available. Kjetil has contact with a few of the other more established guides and this enables him to head to where the lights are best. As a professional photographer Kjetil is well placed to advise and assist in getting the best possible photographs of the lights.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Went in February 2014. Kjetil picked us up at the hotel and we drove for75 mins to where clear skies were. We saw the northern lights briefly before the clouds came . Waited for three hours and saw them briefly a second time . Kjetil helped me to set up the camera and I got a few decent pictures

1  Thank stanley066
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Keen to maximise our chances of seeing the lights we booked this tour in May last year. Kjetil took us to a (frozen) beach location, helped with adjusting our camera settings to optimum to best capture the lights. We were lucky to have clear skies and to see the lights almost non-stop for 3-4 hours and the opportunity to take plenty of pictures. We stayed in the same location, there was no need to move around that night. Kjetil provided us with hot drinks and snacks and lit a campfire to warm us up and as the lights faded, we opted to call it a night. Kjetil will not leave early unless the whole group has decided they have seen enough. He is not a chatterbox, but will engage in conversation and is willing to answer your questions and assist you. The tour group is small but that allows you to get to locations the large coaches cannot get to and to focus on the lights without a large group of people around you. We met some very nice people that evening, the whole experience was wonderful.

Absolutely worth every penny and would not hesitate to recommend Kjetil as a guide to anyone. His website contains a wealth of practical information, worth reading even if you don’t with him. (Kjetil- don’t read that bit!)

B & N (Wales)

TheAuroraChaser, Eier at The AuroraChaser Kjetil Skogli, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for your review. Oh, yes I read that bit. If people find the information on on my website useful, it just makes me happy. We have been blessed wiith a lot of clear skies and good displays in January this year. It mean I can consentrate on the tour and camp instead of searching for clear skies. It seems like someone use the number of spots/stops as a factor that will increase the chance of seeing the lights. If you have clear skies it does not matter if you are 100 km one way or another because the northern lights appear from high >= 90km. In pratice, if you have clear skies you will se the lights there are. Make a camp,relax, spend time to take photos is my receipe.
Thanks