“Fabulous experience -one we will remember for a long time!”
Review of GuideGunnar

GuideGunnar
Ranked #29 of 70 Outdoor Activities in Tromso
More attraction details
Owner description: One of Norway’s most innovative and experienced tour guides, GuideGunnar is known for his energy and enthusiasm, sharing generously his in-depth, local knowledge of heritage and country. Educated mountain guide, GuideGunnar was one of the first in Arctic Norway to give global travelers a unique experience under the northern lights. Always a forerunner and quality conscious, GuideGunnar presents new tour concepts that combine outdoor activities in Norway’s amazingly pristine environment with the very best in local, nordic food and acccommodation.
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had no idea what to expect but were thrilled with the outcome of our Northern lights trip. We have been on a couple more tours since arriving in Tromso but nothing compares to the competence,determination and enthusiasm of Gunnar to show us the lights. ( wish we 'd booked a second night with him, but unfortunately he was booked up). We had an amazing display of the dancing Aurora which our children are still talking about, despite spending most of the evening rolling around in the snow! The camp fire, snack and warm drink completed the evening. What more could you ask for? Did I mention the shooting stars. So perfect.

If you want a real northern lights experience Gunnar is the best :-D

Thank you Gunnar.

We will definitely be back to experience your other tours when our children are a bit older.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I went on a Northern Light trip with Gunnar last week on a short break to Tromso. After a previous unsuccessful attempt to see the lights in Iceland, I appreciate to see these is not a guarantee and to give us the best chance I booked 3 different trips with different groups.

I have to say, (not being bias as Gunnar's was the only successful trip), it was also by far the most professional and enjoyable. Unlike other companies, you really got the feeling that not only did Gunnar love the lights, nature and sharing his knowledge of his Country, he enjoyed job and was not just about making money.

From the moment he picked us up , we were impressed with his professional nature. It was a smooth and comfortable journey in a nice bus rather than the bumpy ride we had in with other older vehicles driven inconsiderately. He also kept us informed of where we were travelling and why. He gave us information on local areas and even how to call the local moose! We were offered warm clothing, drinks, snacks, advised of time to comfort breaks and even built a fire when we stopped to see a fantastic light show. He even offered to take photos for everyone. I cant wait to receive this as a momento of a fantastic experience.

We went just outside Finnish border and were returned back to our doorstep by about 2am and Gunnar wasnt clock watching as others seemed to do.

I definately recommend Gunnar way above any other company and urge people to book in advance so they are not disappointed. Please dont be fooled by other companies being a little cheaper. They do not give the same service or give you the same amount of time. It is better to pay a little more and get more for your money and more chance to see this beautiful wonder with someone who actually knows the best way to find them.

Thank you Gunnar and hope to see you again one day!

1  Thank 1regal
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We booked two trips out with Guide Gunnar in March 2013 and were fortunate enough to see the Auroras both nights. The first night there was a lot of cloud and conditions were far from ideal, but we did manage to see Aurora displays throughout the night. Conditions the second night were similar, but Gunnar was persistent and determined, and thanks to his knowledge, experience, and his network of contacts, we saw the most amazing display of lights over a period of a few hours. Each display was incredible - the evening sky came alive with movement and colour as the Auroras teased and taunted us with her enchanting dance. She put on four performances that night; each lasting from 10 to 40 minutes, each more incredible than the last. After each performance,we thought she was finished, that was it, but Gunnar told us to wait; believing there would be more -and there were. Our patience was rewarded with the most amazing show, including seeing a corona, which is like a vortex directly above you. This was an experience I will never forget, and will always be grateful to Guide Gunnar for making a lifelong dream of mine come true...I absolutely recommend Guide Gunnar to anyone wanting the best opportunity possible for seeing the Northern Lights.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Gunnar drove us out to a beautiful valley next to a frozen lake (that we could walk on) and a beautiful bay. Right from the beginning, we could see hundreds of stars and a thin band of the lights to the north. We were all very impressed, but Gunnar told us that there'd be more to come - and there certainly was. By the end of the night, the entire sky had been filled with the lights - we'd seen them dancing, coming down at us, some red/violet and even a few coronas! It was one of the most amazing things I've seen in my entire life and far exceeded my expectations (which were pretty high, having flown all the way to the arctic circle to see them). Over the course of the evening, Gunnar made us very comfortable. He provided snowsuits and boots, which many of us wore over our own winter gear. There was also a fire going for most of the night, which let you warm up when you were getting too cold. Gunnar was incredibly accommodating - I had shown up on the wrong night for a more expensive tour than the one I had booked and he let me come along anyway. This happy accident meant that I ended up on the dinner trip, which I highly recommend. The vegetable stew was amazing (almost everyone had seconds), and the perfect thing for a cold night. He also had a traditional hot drink, beer, soda, water and Norwegian dessert. Another great component of this trip is the photographs - Gunnar takes pictures of the lights that you see on your trip and also took pictures of each of us standing in front of the lights. Being a point and shoot kind of person, I couldn't manage to get any of the lights to show up in my pictures, but I'll still have a great set when he emails them to us. The whole night was magical, and I couldn't be happier with the experience. Thanks Gunnar!!!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Gunnar picked us up on a cloudy night in Tromso (3rd Feb) and we weren't optimistic about seeing the Aurora. But he kept in contact with other guides and eventually after a few hours of driving and crossing the Finnish border we were rewarded with a wonderful light show. Gunnar kept us entertained by telling us interesting facts of history and nature. When we stopped he lit a fire and served us a hot drink and a delicious sweet snack. He's very helpful when it comes to taking photos of the lights and when camera failed us he took some for us. He's a genuinely interesting guy. The bus is warm and cosy and he has plenty of extra warm clothing should you need it.

I can highly recommend Gunnar as I heard several people tell me the next day they didn't see anything. I have no doubt our success was down to Gunnar's perseverance.