Enter Backpack Hotel
US$159
  • Breakfast included
Scandic Grand Tromso(Tromso)(Great Value!)
US$147
US$118
US$151
US$123
Smarthotel Tromso(Tromso)(Great Value!)
US$102
  • Bar/Lounge
Enter Viking Hotel(Tromso)(Great Value!)
US$172
Priceline
US$146
US$136
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Hotel Xpress Tromso(Tromso)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$109
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscommon kitchenfully stocked kitchennorthern lightsshared kitchengreat wifibed roomclose to the city centerfresh towelsvisiting tromsobeds were comfortableshort stayhotel is situatedfridgetvsinkwintersupermarket
Reviewed 22 March 2011

There were some minor issues like out of order bulbs, broken door in wardrobe and some others... Walls in third floor seems too thin and though room is warm, wall still quite cold... it may be uncomfortable while sleeping becase bad touch walls.
Internet is slow and in peak time unusable. They have to buy router not for $100 but a bit better with bandwith control. But parking is free.
Anyway I like this hotel because it has atmosphere and cozy kitchen :)
This kind of hotels leave memories - the only valuable thing in our life.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2010

The reason I chose this hostel was the wireless internet, and because it was proported as being close to everything. I should have paid an extra 100kr per night and stayed at one of the commerical hotels!

Well, the wireless internet didn't work in my room (two other couples I chatted with at the hotel had the same problem), and the only other room available for that day to move was a - and I'm not exaggerating - tiny, closet-sized room. Even in that tiny room the internet only worked about 75% of the time, and kept dropping out. Basically if you want internet you need to sit in the lounge room near the kitchen. Even then, the speeds are dismal.

My room was not a hotel room - it was at best a hostel room. With the bed and the (admittedly very handy) fridge, and my case open, I literally could not move around the room. Additionally, despite having a radiator my room was kind of cold.

I don't really mind sharing bathrooms usually (I stay in the odd youth hostel) , but the shared bathroom in this hotel was frequently very dirty as people were washing their DOGS in the shower. By the way, because of the dogs, which frequently whined and barked at random intervals during the night, I didn't get that good a sleep two of the nights I was there.

There is no elevator to the second and third floor - not a problem for people with small cases. Mine was 30kg and I'm a very small woman. Luckily a fellow guest was kind enough to help me up the winding stairs.

It's reasonably close to the shops and the tourist centre (including the docks for the bus ferries) by foot - but it's up a very steep hill. Leave extra time to get to the Flybussen if you're trying to navigate this hill in the snow with luggage!

If you look at this hostel as a youth hostel, it's fine. In fact, it would actually be quite a good youth hostel. The problem is the room in photos on the website in no way resembled the room I got - my room had almost no floor space.

There are some good things about the hotel:
* Security is good, your stuff is safe.
* Nice view over the Sentrum from the lounge.
* Very community atmosphere (as everyone has to come to the lounge to use the internet), again very like a youth hostel. Met several friends this way.
* No lockouts, you can come back at any time of the night (good for those of us who were going aurora-chasing constantly).
* The staff (there 7-3pm) are extremely helpful, very friendly and very hard workers.
* Fridge in room is very handy, and you can use the cutlery in the kitchen for free.
* 24/7 tea & coffee (just remember to buy your own milk).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Asynca
Reviewed 4 June 2010

A hostel-styled hotel situated 2 streets outside of the main town, convenient & quiet. Stayed in a double room on Level 2 facing the Harbour with the Arctic Cathedral in full sight. Both my colleague & I are considered small-medium build so the room is sufficient for the both of us to move around. Pillow too soft, so for those who have a penchant for fluffy pillow, you'll have to bring your own. Complimentary tea & coffee is good, didn't try the breakfast/dinner, but won't do so as there are many other choices in town if you are willing to make the trip. Internet on ground floor computer is good, but connection from room is a bit slower than preferred which is not a major problem. Hosts are good and friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank wtgn_ling
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Place is on the basic side. Think "youth hostel." But a clean, well-run one. Rooms are small and simply furnished. Walls thin. Bathroom down the hall. But it has everything you need, and you'll wind up meeting people from all over the world in the lounge/dining area. Best thing is access to full kitchen, which, with a little work, will save you from astronomical restaurant prices. And keep you alive if you're a vegetarian! Recycling and composting bins, too! Convenient location just a few blocks above city centre.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank SeasideSearcher
Reviewed 25 March 2010

I just wanted to write to you and let you know how pleased we were with ABChotel when we stayed there 6-10 Feb. The location was perfect and we were very impressed with the cleanliness and quietness of the hotel. We found your staff to very friendly,welcoming and helpful. We would highly recommend your hotel to anyone visiting the area.

Thank you for a wonderful visit to Tromso

Sharon and Keith