“Nice hotel in Tromso”

Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Tromso
Worcestershire
“Nice hotel in Tromso”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I stayed here late February and it was a good base for my planned winter activities. First of all however, my booking experience. I made a reservation in October by telephone and gave credit card details. I asked for a confirmation email. By January I had not received confirmation and called the hotel. I was told there was no record of my booking. So I had to book again! On this occasion when i DID get the confirmation email, the dates were slightly wrong!! So I had the hassle again of having to contact the hotel to correct the dates of my stay!!!!

The website also needs updating. It states that a single room (shared facilities) is 600 NOK in the period of my stay when in fact I was charged 690 NOK! The stated price of the breakfast buffet 40 NOK is also incorrect. I paid 50 NOK! Neither is it available 24/7. It is available every morning but not all day long!

The hotel itself is really nice however. It is clean, newly refurbished and is situated in a convenient location. The reception staff are really nice and very helpful. The dining room is a great place to meet and chat to people over the free coffee (which is available 24/7). There is quite a good selection of food available at the buffet breakfast (beware of the bread toaster- sometimes it trips the lights in the dining room (quite funny really!)) You get a clean change of towels everyday (no charge!) and there is a computer in the dining room where you can use the internet, print boarding passes etc (again, no charge!). I think price-wise it could be one of the best options in Tromso and there is just a nice vibe to the hotel. I guess everyone is excited to be hunting for the northern lights! Also, in contrast to an earlier reviewer who complained that the hotel was noisy, I did not hear any excessive noise and slept very well at night. And the hotel was full with people coming and going at all hours.

So overall great stay and would definitely stay here again! Just a few final things: There is only 1 TV channel in the rooms, the (free) WIFI available in the dining room/living room area was only intermittent in my room and perhaps most importantly, be mindful that the loo paper in the shared toilet runs out very quickly! Check that there are spare loo rolls before you use the toilet!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank RitaSueAndBob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

Nice staff. Everything is recently renovated. Rooms are new. Clean but small. Has community kitchen where you can cook your own meal. Only 3 min walk from center.
Would definitely stay again. Prices are outrageous if you are from the rest of europe but quite ok for Tromsö.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank saka2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

Very good location for night city views. Hotel staff are very friendly. Decent and good value buffet breakfast. Hotel has clean rooms, very good for budget travellers. Attractions like Porlar museum, Polaria and Tromso Cathedral

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Carlos M
Reviewed 19 December 2012

For its price (considering that accommodation isn't the cheapest thing in Tromsø), I think my stay here was pretty good!

Its location is less than 10 minutes walk from the public library, grocery store REMA 1000 and the main shopping artery Storgata. While it doesn't exactly have a fantastic view and it might be a little confusing getting in the first time, it is a fantastic launching point to your next shopping trip (only complaint is that since it's situated on the top of a hill, lugging baggage around and avoiding black ice on the gravel road makes it particularly tricky.)

Rooms are small, but very neatly maintained. The one I had included a somewhat narrow, but cosy bed (great for keeping warm in winter), a desk, flat-screen TV (only local Norwegian channels, unfortunately), a sofa, a tiny refrigerator and a sink (i.e. shared bathroom and toilet). I think an electronic safe would have been a good addition to the room though. Everything is kept very clean and new looking, however.

The staff here are exceptionally helpful and friendly. I was served by Simon and Angelita who both treated me as if though I were their best friend staying the night in their house.

A small perk of the place is the cheap breakfast at 50 NOK per meal. Considering how a meal at Burger King down the road costs about 70 NOK, I think the morning buffet breakfast here is quite a steal (and it's healthy too).

I understand that some people have complained about the noise. While the rooms aren't exactly 100% soundproof, the small space of the hotel tends to make activity going on outside more apparent. Even a big hotel would suffer the same problems if there were people yelling outside their hallway.

Overall, I think I'd still come back to ABC Hotell Nord if I were in Tromsø again.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Heraldus85
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Basic but clean, comfortable and quiet hostel with a great location for wandering around Tromso. My friend and I shared a twin room with shared bathroom on the 3rd floor. Everything in Norway is expensive so you don't get a lot of floor space for your money in comparison with the UK but once you get over that, this is a good little hostel. The bedrooms are small but perfectly clean and had everything we needed, including fridge, TV and a sink. The shared toilet and shared shower were very clean and very quiet - apparently some of the rooms have facilities in them so we had no need to stand in line. The buffet breakfast was great value with eggs, salmon and toast being my staples :)
A special mention for the outstanding customer service that we received from Austin (Oestin?) who really went above and beyond the call of duty each day to make our stay perfect. I think my friend was close to putting him in her suitcase and taking him home....

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank OutdoorsyG
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2012

we stayed at this "hotel" it was more a youth hostel. i would not recommend it to anyone. the advertisement stated that it was a double room with fridge and shared bathroom- none of the above was correct. there were two small single beds in a tiny room, no fridge and no bath! very noisy, every footstep was heard. we moved on to an apartment that wasn't that much more expensive and it was worth it- made it a much better enjoyable experience!! when trying to cancel the booking the receptionis was awkward, seemed to have a personal agenda- tried to make it seem impossible to do so- and made us feel like we didn't have any option but to stay, though it was the contrary. glad to see the back of it.

Room Tip: there was no swimming pool- it was a mistake that i can't undo. simply avoid at all cost! tromso...