Enter Amalie Hotel
US$178
US$165
  • Breakfast included
Enter Viking Hotel(Tromso)(Great Value!)
US$139
US$93
  • Bar/Lounge
US$109
  • Breakfast included
Enter City Hotel(Tromso)(Great Value!)
US$114
Smarthotel Tromso(Tromso)(Great Value!)
US$86
Travelocity
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewswafflesindependent hoteltea and coffee facilitiestourist officeroom informationtours leaveevery afternoondecent selectionfriendly hotelparking ticketinformation centrecommon areasthe radisson blu hotelplenty of hot watersingle bedsoupstayed nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We recently stayed for a long weekend staying 2 nights in room 411.

The hotel serves a great breakfast and there is free tea/coffee and biscuits throughout the day. In addition you can make waffles in the afternoon and in the evening they had soup and rolls available. All of which is greatly appreciated as food and drink prices in Norway are high.

The hotel also offers free WIFI and is conveniently located.

Depends on personal preference, but I found the beds to be too soft and the rooms are small and compact but sufficient for a long weekend away.

Tromso itself is quite small and easy to navigate around. The shuttle bus from the airport was 70 one way or 100 for a round trip.

When in Tromso, do try and get yourself on a round trip ferry ride as it gives you more to see in terms of landscape and in the late evening, you may also see the Northern Lights if there is little/no cloud cover.

Something to watch for is the queue at the Tourist Office. It is very close to the hotel but gets busy and there can be a long wait to be served, so might be worth checking on line the things you want to do and booking direct.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Malachi W
Reviewed 25 February 2014

A great hotel in the centre of Tromso. The rooms were small but very clean & functional - grateful for the opening windows as it was a little stuffy at times. Good choice for breakfast & the afternoon waffles went down well. Staff friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This is a small family run hotel, located just around the corner from the Radisson Blu hotel, where many of the organised tours and daytrips depart from. Despite some confusion over the original room reservation which was made last July, the staff made every effort to accommodate my sister and I and we were happy with the gesture of good will which was made by the management. The room was very comfortable, warm and clean. There is a good selection for breakfast and the afternoon waffles [which are free of charge] are to 'die for'. Since our experience of viewing the Northern Lights was limited to one night, I would have no hesitation in rebooking with the Amalie, on a return visit.

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth and fifth floors facing towards the Fjord, should give a better view. I can't 'untick' the children activities or fitness centre. There is no fitness centre at the hotel although there is a gym across the road. No children activities were organised by the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Amalie Hotel is very centrally located in Tromso with the town centre a few streets away and easy access to all local attractions. The hotel is basic but in February the rooms were very warm and comfortable, although the double bed was two singles pushed together. Breakfast is great and waffles and coffee are provided throughout the day which is great when you come in from the cold. If you want somewhere to sleep comfortably with a filling breakfast, you can't go wrong!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy S
Reviewed 20 February 2014

When we decided to book to go Tromso we were aware of the price for tourists out there so wanted to try and save as much as we could so we could do as much activities as we could. We would have usually splashed out on a much more highly regarded hotel which would have put an extra £250 on what we spent for the Amalie .... How lucky we didn’t as the Amalie did what it said on the tin and then some.

We'd had a delay of a few hours at Gatwick so were late by a good 3/4 hours when we arrived. The staff could not be more warm and greeting when we stepped through the door. They immediately checked us in whilst asking if we wanted a coffee or something to eat (I’ll touch on that in a bit) after what seemed like seconds, I was being handed my key a nice hot cup of coffee and shown to my room. Even when I asked if there was anything I needed to sign or to sort out payment it was replied with 'it’s fine we can deal with that later, you've had a delayed trip, let’s get you settled first' that was so appreciated when you've been delayed and just want to jump in the shower and get out there and see Tromso.

The rooms were more than adequate. You read on here that the rooms are a little small. Yes maybe but not to the extent that it’s a problem. 2 comfortable beds, desk, ample space for storage, a TV, tea and coffee facilities, everything you need. The shower room is just that, a decent sized shower, basin and toilet. Clean, hot water and even the luxury of heated flooring. Top that off with decent Wifi (I could stream Lovefilm and NetFlix no problem) I was extremely pleased with the room. I have booked hotels all over the place with the same 'star' rating and believe me this one certainly adds an extra 'invisible star' so please don’t be put off like some.

If you are not a soft bed' type person then you may be weary. The beds are ultra-soft and I’m someone who like a firm bed but It still was comfortable sleeping in the bed. Yes it swallows you up a little and the pillows personally were a little too soft for my liking but after walking out in the temperatures of Tromso, its actually quite nice being cuddled by the bed when you collapse into it.

For cleanliness the Hotel went above and beyond. Spotless throughout. Inside the room and in the communal areas. There was always a maid walking around I noticed, at all times.

Location wise its perfect. It’s practically on the harbour Close to everything needed, a supermarket round the corner, a lovely Italian next door and 2 mins walk from the flybus stop. Perfect.

The restaurant again was above expectations. A decent spread for breakfast with warm and cold choices. Eggs, Bacon, Cheeses, Hams, Pastries - The lot. Feed yourself up at breakfast as the prices to eat out are a little scary. Another HUGE bonus is after breakfast is packed away, complimentary coffee comes out and make your own waffles. Definitely a bonus when you consider how much it is to eat out.

We found the Amalie to be one of the cheaper options of hotels in the area so you're in for a bargain when you book. Overall I can’t fault the Amalie. Excellent staff who are there to help whatever you need. Excursions, Hire Car, Restaurant Recommendations nothing is too much for the staff there. I even got talking to one of the kitchen staff who pointed me in the direction to see the Northern Lights in the evening and her advice was spot on.

Enjoy the hotel, the staff and most of all enjoy the awesome city of Tromso. I’m so going back.

Room Tip: Feed yourself silly at breakfast so you can skip lunch as the prices to eat out are a little scary.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple