“The hotel ticks all the right 'budget' boxes”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Smarthotel Tromso

Smarthotel Tromso
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Tromso
Brisbane, Australia
“The hotel ticks all the right 'budget' boxes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed here for three nights in January - we booked the hotel for the price, we didn't need anything fancy as we were only planning on sleeping in the hotel anyway. We checked in with no hassles at all, the staff even offered to split the bill over two credit cards, if we wanted! We stayed on the second floor facing the road, initially I was a bit worried about the road noise, but it didn't seem to be a problem, it was only on Monday morning that the traffic disturbed me, the rest of the time the street was relatively quiet, at least during the night anyway.
The rooms are small, but offer everything one needs for a weekend stay, the bathroom is small, but certainly not the smallest bathroom I have ever showered in! The bed was against the wall and surprisingly comfortable with extra blankets in the drawer under the bed.
There is no servicing of rooms over the weekends, but this didn't bother us, it is a budget hotel after all! My only gripe was that we used the bathroom plastic cups for both cleaning our teeth on the first night and enjoying a few beverages on the second night. We then threw the cups away, when our room was serviced the cups weren't replaced - a very small thing but slightly irritating nonetheless.
There is a sign on the door indicating that the front door is closed between 11pm and 7am however we arrived back at the hotel much later than 11pm on all three nights and were surprised to find the door open (always nice when it is -14 outside!)! We also left ridiculously early the morning we checked out and the night manager was there to see us off, he even let us back into the room 10 mins after checking out when we realised we had forgotten something!
We opted to sort out our own breakfast instead of paying 15EUR for the breakfast provided by the hotel - there is a supermarket just down the road so we stopped in there before heading out for the day. I must say the hotel breakfast seemed to be a popular option, there were always lots of people in the breakfast room when we left in the morning.
What I really liked was that there was free tea and coffee available at reception 24 hours a day. Which meant after returning from chasing the lights you could warm up at reception first before going to bed. I thought this was a really nice touch. It would have been nice if this had have been explained to us when we checked in, we were a little unsure how it worked and when I asked at reception I think the lady thought I was a little strange for asking!
For a budget hotel this is one of the better 'budget' hotels I have stayed in, we paid 280EUR for 3 nights (no breakfast).
If you're after a no frills, but good hotel in Tromso, then this hotel definitely ticks all the right boxes in that respect

Room Tip: If you're staying during the week try to get a room away from the road, the road noise is a litt...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hamburg, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

The "terrible" rating is not related to the property but related to the customer service concerning a refund. I cancelled my reservation (I had booked a refundable room) two days before arrival. It is now two weeks later and I have not yet received a refund despite emailing the hotel 3x. Each time I am informed that I will receive the refund very soon or that it is currently being processed. The refund is via simple intra-European bank transfer so it should take only 24h to post on my account. A two week wait period and continuously being promised that the refund is on its way, when it clearly is not, is not acceptable. Buyer beware if you plan on potentially canceling your reservation, you may be waiting a long time for your refund.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ute S
Smarthotel2013, General Manager at Smarthotel Tromso, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Hi, and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are truly sorry that the refund took longer than usual. This is not our standard.
We apologize the inconvenience this brought to you.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in early January and it was great!! The harbour was within walking distance as was several supermarkets and restaurants. We did two tours and were able to walk to the pickup points within 5 minutes. Room was clean, new and the beds were super comfy. Shower great. It was small but my friend and I didn't mind, we were used to that. Staff were very friendly and more than happy to answer any questions. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Tromso.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor where there was a nice view of the snow and the street behind the hot...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cinta_Mac
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

For us it did exactly what we needed, staying in Tromso over the weekend - it provided shelter from outside cold, provided sleeping place and kept our belongings)) We spent most of the time outside, so small rooms were not a big deal, and the hotel is close to anything (most others are too - it's a small place). Reception guys were always helpful, they even gave us a big thermos with hot water which is a good thing to have in winter in a place like Tromso. Definitely recommended if you prefer spending money on activities and can keep accommodation modest.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Matfors, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

This newly opened hotel is very chic. Room was small, but everything is brand new. Nothing to complain about the breakfast - the restaurant felt like a bit like a school canteen though. Wouldn´t get up early to enjoy a long breakfast. I think I am a bit too old to appreciate this city chic hotel with graffiti on the walls.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Birgit H
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed in the Smarthotel for 2 nights in December 2013. We couldnt book 4 consecutive nights in Smarthotel nor the Viking hotel during our time in Tromso, so we stayed 2 nights in the Viking hotel as well. These hotels were within our budget.
We had a car in Tromso, the parking was a couple of minutes walk away from the hotel. Check in was prompt, there was even a machine for self check in! The room we had was tiny, barely had enough room to open our suitcases. The room however was clean and looked modern. There were tea, hot chocolaete and coffee free for guest to enjoy. The overall experience reminded me of staying in a Travelodge with less room space, and with a higher price tag.
If I have the option to choose my stay between Smarthotel and the Viking hotel, I will stay in the Viking the entire trip.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

The rooms are tiny but efficiently designed. The double beds were really quite small (and me and my sister are only 5"3) but I guess for the price you're paying (relative to other places in Tromso anyway) you can't really complain. The place was kept very clean and I love the interior. The check in staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel is located just a couple streets down from where all the shops and restaurants. Its a short 5 min walk to the entrance of the tunnel car parks. There is no free parking anywhere. Overall pretty great for value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family