Frankly I don't understand why the reviews are very average for smart hotel.
Lots of people complain about the small rooms etc but honestly these days people seems to want everything for nothing. When I booked the hotel was by far the cheapest for what is a very expensive place.
However, given the price you are met with a simple but efficient hotel that has everything you need for an outdoor adventure trip in Tromso and not much you don't. Yes the rooms are very small, but if you want to spend all day in doors in Tromso you are going to the wrong place anyway. You don't get fancy stuff like good toiletries, ironing facilities, wardrobe etc, but you don't really need it and wouldn't expect it for the price. Rooms are not cleaned during weekends, but a non-issue for us as we don't usually like cleaning service during our short stays anyway and have someone come into your room to move your stuff around.
1. Hotel is newly opened in 2013 so everything is in good order
2. Modern rooms, good heating, great shower
3. Excellent free wifi
4. Flat screen TV (which we didn't turn on once)
5. Excellent sound proofing, blackout curtains, duvets, pillows and mattress. On the website they claim to offer a great nights sleep and they are not a bit wrong. This is so important, especially sound proofing.
6. Given the size of tromso city, every hotel has a good location, Smarthotel was probably the furthest from the high street, but that is still a 5 min walk to the tourist centre (most tours you book depart from near the tourist centre, Radisson hotel etc).
7. 24/7 front desk.
8. Super clean.
1. They do charge 19NOK for coffee and tea which I considered unnecessary
2. The place doesn't accept cash at all which was a bit annoying, especially if you want a cup of tea as above...19NOK for credit...really? Not to mention on one morning the card facility was not working properly and we nearly couldn't have breakfast.
3. Breakfast is 95NOK each when free at all other hotels so if you plan to eat there everyday it's worth building in the total price when comparing to other hotels.
4. Breakfast was plentiful but average quality compared to say Thon and doesn't change at all each morning. Because all the hotels offer free breakfast I don't believe there are many places in town that you can go to for a proper breakfast otherwise.
So all in all, not disappointed at all.
To get to the hotel take the flybussen which is 100NOK each return, although really the city is a 10 min drive via tunnel from the airport on the otherwise of the little island.
On this trip we went to the Ersfjordbotn, activetromso dogsledding, green fox northern lights and lynsalps snowmobiling. Let me know if you have queries for any of those activities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in central Tromsø, this hotel is just 200 metres from Storgata shopping street. It offers brightly decorated rooms with free Wi-Fi access and a flat-screen TV. All rooms at Smarthotel Tromsø have Dux beds, a work desk and a private bathroom with shower. Light dishes like sandwiches and salads are available in the lobby shop. Tromsø Smarthotel offers an ironing service and a 24-hour reception. The Hurtigruten Terminal and Polaria Aquarium are both 8 minutes’ walk away. The Polar Museum is 800 metres from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Smarthotel Tromso reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.