“Reasonable and excellent location”
Review of AMI Hotel Tromso

AMI Hotel Tromso
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Tromso
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed at Ami for 3 nights. Besides being very reasonably priced for Tromso, its location is the best! Our room window had a view of the city, the bridge , arctic cathedral and the cable car station. What more would you want other than being cosy and warm in your room with a view of the city ?
Its so centrally located that we could pop in and out whenever.
The breakfast is good if you dont mind cold continental breakfast. There are hot beverages throughout the day and night and free wifi!
We had an excellent stay at Ami and would definately return there if we visit Tromso again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the city view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife & myself stay for 3 nights on the 3rd level with a nice view overlooking the mountains(room 37, If I did not mistaken). In fact, we saw the lights on our last night from the luxury of our room. We ask for a room with a view, we got it. All thanks to AMI.
The breakfast was good & filling. You can also fry. If you chose to pack, ziploc pack provided! Coffee was good. You can even bring your own coffee powder.
I guess the minus points would be no lifts & the hotel is on the hill, a steep climb up. Plus the icy pathway does not help.
Overall, it is a good place to stay

Room Tip: ASk for a room with a view, at the front of hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The location is perfect and the atmosphere is great, specially during winter. The price is not that great but comparing with other places, this is the best catch... I had to reserve a whole room so I only stayed for 2 nights, the place was clean and its worth every krona you pay for.
Tip: if you are looking for an Aurora Borealis hunt, this is the place to begin... if you are really really lucky, you can have glimpses of the northern lights!

Room Tip: Higher floors are perfect to check the weather if you are going out to see the northern lights
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank NicolasRuiz
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed at AMI Hotel for 4 days in September. It is a lovely, small hotel. Very relaxed, nice ambience, the breakfast was good. The room had an excellent view out over the town and to the mountains on the other side of the water.

Our room was on the third floor and there is no lift which might be a problem for mobility impaired travellers.

It's close to the centre of town - only a few minutes walk to things like the visitor's centre, restaurants, shops etc. The staff were friendly and helpful. We recommend it.

Room Tip: We asked for a view and got one, but I don't know if this is necessary - other rooms may have vi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed as a single traveller in December 2012. I was a bit apprehensive about the 'long uphill walk' based on previous reviews, but found this to be more than manageable - I even managed to lug my suitcase up the icy hill in the midst of winter, so this wasn't so bad at all.

I was also surprised at how centrally the hotel is located - while maps and previous reviews indicate it as being sort of on the periphery of the town, it is within very easy walking distance of everything in the town centre.

While maybe a bit more of a bnb / high grade hostel than a hotel, I found the facilities more than adequate, and of a high standard. The internet access was great, and breakfast quite adequate - the coffee machine was a real plus!

Would definitely recommend for single travellers, though many couples and families about during my stay. Will definitely stay there again if I'm ever lucky enough to visit Tromso again...

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank justdanni
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

I went to Tromso by myself. Only me. I couldn't find any hostel or shared dorm hostel in Tromso. I read a review about this hotel in Thailand website. The reviewer said this place is one of the cheapest room price in Tromso. I found that it's true. My single room with wash sink is very comfortable. It's value the money. The breakfast was good. The staff was friendly. He's so kind. Its location is great. It's near downtown, not far from flybussen stop. But you need to walk on the hill to get to the hotel. If you have a large luggage, I think you will tired to get there (like me haha). My room was in 2nd floor. The view isn't beautiful as the top floor but it's okay.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Seranie T
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Great hotel, buffet breakfast cannot be faulted always plenty to eat to set you up for the day. Set on a Hill which is qute steep, we went in February so took the long way round as the steps looked a little daunting in the snow :-) We visited Norway so we could experience the Northern Lights and we were not dissapointed, we saw them when we went into the Mountains for the dog sledding and we were also lucky to see them from the Ami hotel itself, just amazing !!!! Would definate recommend this hotel if staying in Tromso.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends