All reviews bedroom apartment the main hotel waffles great apartment washing machine free coffee and tea sofa bed stayed for nights central tromso fresh towels top floor within easy walking distance city centre make your own comfortable hotel midnight sun norway
Reviewed 17 December 2016

We reserved an apartment through the hotel, and paid a couple months in advance. When we arrived we were told the place wasn't ready. By this they didn't mean they needed to put towels in the room. They actually meant the apartment was not finished being constructed! After waiting a long time we were taken to a new building, still under construction. It smelled of paint and construction dust. The television was still in a box on the floor, the refrigerator was not on, and worst, there was no heat! (0-degrees outside). They put us up in another place for the night (adequate), and then cancelled the rest of our weekend reservation without even telling us! A family of four, with no place to go, in 0-degree weather. The receptionist was a self-righteous prig, and this place was complete disaster. Avoid at all costs.

Room tip: Avoid the apartments.
Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank SBrentP
Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

Nice one bed warm cosy apartment with all the mod cod's, no bath but had everything else there including cutlery and saucepans, free view TV, WiFi and nice comfy sofas. Highly recommend if you don't want to stay in a hotel.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2016 via mobile

The rooms where well presented and clean. If small. I did hit my shoulder on the TV trying to get to the other side of the bed as the gap between the end of the bed and the wall wasn't great, however the cleaning staff where punctual. We where always offered more towels and the bed was comfy.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2016

Basic yet quite respectable. Great location; one can walk to port, shops, restaurants, ski park (30 minute walk to the base of the ski mountain, across a pedestrian bridge), ...mostly everywhere for most needs. Best price in town. Didn't try breakfast which is not included in price of the room, so no knowledge of that. All in all, a good deal.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 29 November 2016

This is a review of a single room in the hotel. I have no experience with any of the other offered rooms/apartments.

The room is small, efficient and comfortable. The bed is amazing. The furniture is what you need it to be for a place to hold your stuff while you go out and explore. There's a small "closet" to hang your clothes (but only 3 hangers) and no drawers to fully unpack. Fortunately, my suitcase got lost by the airline so I didn't have to worry about where I would put it in the room or where I would put its contents. The mini-bar fridge is stocked but the fridge doesn't really work - everything in it was quite warm - so don't count on it if you want to keep anything cold or if you want to purchase anything cold from your mini-bar (just go to reception - they're stuff was good and cold).

The waffles in the evening are a nice touch and I highly recommend them.

The day staff are efficient but it was the night staff attendant that I enjoyed the most. Klaus went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable, made suggestions of sites to see and places to go to replace some items that I needed that were packed in my lost suitcase. He was friendly to all and genuinely seemed interested in each person he talked to. He's a keeper.

The bathroom in the room is the only thing keeping the hotel from receiving 5 stars from me. It is very European (read, small) and I'm used to that with my travels. However, the shower stall was cramped and did nothing to keep water from getting everywhere. I found I had to wet down, turn the water off, open the doors to give me some room, lather up, close the doors and then turn the water on to rinse off. The sink is crammed in a corner but it is efficient - has what you need. I was just very glad that I did not take any clothes into the bathroom because they would've been soaked.

The nearest bus stop is the Polaria bus stop and all the local buses plus the airport express bus stop there. There's a bit of a hill to climb up from the bus stop and I was glad that I didn't have to lug my suitcase behind me either to the hotel or from it.

I did not experience the breakfast as that was an additional 95 NOK per day - I just went to a cafe and purchased my croissant and coffee. It actually came out to about the same amount so it wasn't because the breakfast was expensive, it's just that I was more interested in getting out the door to begin my day.

If you take the airport express bus, it will cost 80 NOK one way or 140 NOK roundtrip. The local buses are 32 NOK for an hour ticket. I did the airport express bus because it was more direct and by the time I got off the plane, I just wanted to get to the hotel and not mess with trying to find a kiosk to buy the cheaper bus ticket.

I would recommend the Viking Hotell and I would stay there again without reservation the next time I am in beautiful Tromso.

Room tip: A single room is small but does the trick.
Date of stay: November 2016