Skansen Hotell
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnight entrancevending machinefast wifiwarm roomrecommend this hotelairport buscity centrefree coffeesingle roomnorthern lightsthe main shopping streetwithin walking distancefew minutes walkbreakfast roomcomfy bedhotel is locatedperfect location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is a really good budget hotel just 2-3 minutes from the town centre. We had a view over the water to the Ice Cathedra and Kristina and the other staff could not have been more welcoming or helpful.

We were in Tromso to see the Northern Lights and this hotel (and the great fares from Gatwick with Norwegian) made it possible for a realistic price.

Room Tip: Rooms looking across to the mainland have the best view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Small hotel located at the ascent of one of Tromso's main and nicest streets. The building integrates well with the other buildings in the area, and this is a plus in my opinion. Public areas of the hotel are cozy, and even the room was O.K. at first glance, but then came the second....

The room where I stayed, on the second floor, is in an urgent need of renovation: Stickers which were tried unsuccessfully to be removed, peeling paint, front door that allows the corridor light to enter the room easily around it, dirty curtain that enables street lights coming in as if it doesn't exist, unclean and graceless chest of drawers, and when you look through the big window at the main street, you can also notice the unattractive dirt roof beneath with empty beer bottles, lots of cigarettes butts and other stuff....

The unventilated bathroom condition was not better, even worst, to say the least....and I will skip the details....

The room was well lit and not only by the corridor and street lights.... Internet was free in public areas and room, and the breakfast was very (very) modest - not something worth to talk about.

This hotel was not my first choice in Tromso, in fact it was almost the last, since I arrived in the city during a week in which every hotel was fully booked due to a local event. Eventually I understood the reason why this hotel had vacancy...

According to the hotel web page gallery, rooms look very good. That is why I assume some rooms were already been renovated, whereas others still looks as dumps. Make sure you are in the right one because, regarding this hotel, It turns out that the information online was incomplete and inaccurate.

Since payment was done for two nights in advance while checking-in, I stayed there. However, for my last night in town, I left this place, found another hotel and moved there.

In my humble opinion, this hotel has great potential to be among the boutique hotels, but before that will happen, attention, work and not less important, accuracy when providing online information, are all needed to be done. I have to say that I was expecting a little more in return for 850 NOK per night.

I stayed in 9 hotels during my two and a half weeks trip to Norway - this has the lowest grade.

Room Tip: Stay only after you confirm it is a renovated room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Osh_12
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed one night there in Skansen Hotell. I'd say I was really happy about the place where it is situated. Its almost like in the center of Tromso city and its much easier to go any place from the hotel. Also I feel the price also comparatively cheap with good facility. They have very friendly staff too. It'd be better if the front desk is open even after 11pm.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mujahid Mohamed A
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I went to this hotel on Tuesday 27 August 13 of this week on the off chance that they might just have a room. They did, and it was such good value for money I booked a second night for Thursday.29 August. The rooms were very clean and at around 850k per night including a good quality breakfast I felt it represented value for money. Especially in Norway. On both occasions the reception staff were extremely helpful and were able to point me in the correct direction when requesting travel advice. I stayed in room 208 on my first night and 308 on the second night. The hotel offers limited car parking and free coffee at the front lobby. The location is good for most thing as well. The breakfast selection was adequate and items were replenished when finished. The bathroom was lovely and warm and the towels were adequate for my purposes. Lots of hot water a very good shower and very clean. What else can one want for this price. I have had far worse in supposedly three and four star hotels.

I can only imagine that this is a two star property and a jolly god one too. Keep up the good work. I will stay with you should I return to Tromso. Thank You!!!

Room Tip: The rooms to the rear have the best views
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The hotel is clean and tidy to european standard with small room for 3 bed occupancy but a great view from room to Ship yard,hills afar with distance cable car way seen from uncleaned glass window,obstructing the clear view. As the glass window panes are fixed to prevent heat loss from room the difficulty in cleaning glass panes outside is experienced. A great view through windows outside the flying Seagulles all through day light of 24 hrs is a marvelous sight. A table fan without Safety Guard for fan-blades was provided. The bath cubicle in the Toilet is very small not to occupy for fat people.
The toilet do not have inside latch as the same is noticed in Radisson Blue Plaza hotel ,Oslo, may be the set standard at those places.
The Recptionist is quite courteous and render great guidance particularly Mr.Jonathan .The other Miss Christina is courteous enough to render necessary guidance at hotel. The Hospitality is good. The free buffet break fast given though of less varieties ,but good at taste and the service room of breakfast is quite good.
.The hotel is situated in right at city center of the small town Tromso from where we can walk and see most of the attractions of Tromso. The Tromso town is just 6 km from airport connected by bus ,Airport bus and taxi and the taxi fare though claimed for 150 Norwegian kroner but accepted 120 Kroner to the hotel. If we get bus tickets for 2 days ,3 days etc., it is very economical and can be moved up and down for sight seeing ,from and to airport and visiting differnt routes of the city bus through hills all around is quite good and more econamical for the number of trips you can avail by Hybrid Bus and the Hospitality given by Bus Drivers and their Punctuality.
Food is Costly and one should get the rate before eating to avoid the shock.
Rates are different for different weeks, We are charged 3600 kroners for 3 nights from July 5th to July 8th, whereas it is 3300 Kroners for 3 nights from July 12th to July 15th.all through advance booking. One have to book a hotel for a cheaper rate and cheaper flight days and then plan for the trip.
But overall it is HEAVENLY to be there in TROMSO, What a peace , what a silence ,free of pollution.
S.Kumaresan

Room Tip: Prefer to occupy 2nd floor sea side view rooms opposite to road side rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family