“Easily my very favorite restaurant in Oslo”
Review of Lofotstua

Lofotstua
Ranked #153 of 1,549 Restaurants in Oslo
Cuisines: Seafood, Norwegian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I am originally from Oslo, and consider myself somewhat of a fish connoisseur. I have lived in the US for the past 22 years, but visit Oslo a couple of times per year. During those visit, I ALWAYS have dinner at Lofotstua. I cannot praise Kjell (the father) and Jan Hugo (the son) Jenssen enough for keeping this place pretty much unchanged in terms of quality and ambience for 40 years! The restaurant is extremely small, only 8 or so tables, but the fish they serve is fresher and better than anywhere else, bar none! I was there earlier this week and cannot wait to return for another fantastic fish dinner. I know this review sounds 'over the top', but if you go to Oslo, find this little gem and you'll know what I mean.

3  Thank SrgnFsh

Reviewed 12 August 2012

This resturant is cited quite close to the vigeland park,but is a little hidden on the way if you dont look for it. But the bus and trams stop right outside so its easy to get too. By recommendations from our travelguide from Rick steves, we were overjoyed for this great experience. It proved to be the best food and service experience on our 3 weeks vacation thru norway. We were delightfully welcomed by the owners son,Jan, who guided us thru the menu in perfect english,and gave us the option for some great dishes..like codthounges, norwegian catfish(wich is totally different from ours in the states),and a new deepsea fish called Isgalt..Just superb !!
Together with great wine and the great conversations with the family of this resturant....it proved to be one of the most memorabilia experiences we had in norway. Very highly recommended,so dont be put off by its simple look inside,its actually suppose to look like an old norwegian "rorbu",wich is like a fishermans cabin in the old days,so it goes well with this simple fishermens cooking !!

6  Thank James s
Reviewed 13 September 2011

The restaurant is situatet a bit from city center. But it is worth it to take a walk to come there.
This is a real fish restaurant! Not fancy but cosy enough. We had so many dishes to choose from, hard to choose right. catwish is never wrong.
tablecloth shoudl have been changed.

1  Thank LisaKarlstad_Sweden
Reviewed 22 August 2011

They have fresh and good fish. But the admit, with pride, that they use MARGARIN to prepar the fish. The vegetables where terrible overcooked, and it really made the day when our waitor said:

"We know margarin is poison, I am a chemist my self, but it is cheap and everybody uses it. Many people don't like the taste of butter."

I am sure that the taste of palm oil and chemicales is soooo much better. Not.

Avoid this please, unless you ask for a fish - prepared with butter - and everything else on the side. The sides almost destroyed our fish.

It closes early, and have a rustic sort of style. But it stops there.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

We stopped for dinner quite by accident on our way to visit the Vigeland sculpture park and were so pleased with the food, the ambiance and the family staff that we returned for dinner the next evening as well.

2  Thank scn01