“Great location and rooms with a view”

Thon Hotel Oslo Panorama
Ranked #21 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location and rooms with a view”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I am a bit surprised by some of the less than complimentary reviews for this hotel. The hotel is perfectly located - close to station without being in the middle of everything. It is in walking distance of most of the main sights.

And my room on the 10th floor was spacious, comfortable and had a terrific view over the opera house and harbour. The breakfasts are plentiful and include a varied menu, and all of the staff I dealt with were polite and helpful. I'd stay here again, without question.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the upper floors so that you have a good view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Caroline W, Guest Relations Manager at Thon Hotel Oslo Panorama, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Kaele S,
First of all I would like to thank you very much for your kind feedback. The comfort and satisfaction of our guests are of great importance to us so I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the hotel to be perfectly located. I'm also glad that you appreciated your room as well as the wide-ranged breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Oslo!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Athens
Reviewed 1 July 2014

An average to good hotel, but with increased price for the offered level. The price of my room was around 150 euro but was quite small. The hotel gives you the impression of a small labyrinthus and the rooms are a bit dipressive. It looks like this building had another use and was transforemed later to a hotel.

Restroom had a smell of waste water and mold, but apart from that it was clean.

Breakfast is very good and generous, with good variety.

Personnel is very polite but also very limited.

Room Tip: Some rooms have fixed windows and can not open. Request to avoid those ones, especially during summe...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear NTG24,
Thank you for finding the time to post a review of your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that the room didn't quite live up to your expectations. Should you choose to return, please contact us in advance and we will do our very best to find you a brighter room further up. Thank you again for sharing your experience and I hope we can welcome you back in the future!
Elverum, Norway
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This hotel has a very central location in downtown Oslo. Close to the stock market and the main street Karl Johan. It has a nice first look, but if you scratch the surface you will find it lacking in most ends. The staff seem to vary from ok to non-competent stand-ins. My upgraded business room had clear signs of wear, but the worst was the bathroom. Lacking functioning ventilation has probably been a problem over time, because it was clear stains of mold in the ceiling. Mold is very unhealthy as it gets inside your lungs and can be harmful, especially for kids. The inside of the bathroom door the paint was coming off. There are other good options nearby, I would choose another hotel to have a comfortable stay at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: If they have rooms recently refurbished - go for those.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BravoFox
Caroline W, Guest Relations Manager at Thon Hotel Oslo Panorama, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear BravoFox,
Thank you for finding the time time to review your recent stay with us and provide us with valuable feedback. I'm sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations and apologize for the room not living up to the standard one should expect in our hotel.
You're right that there is a problem with the ventilation in the bathroom. It's due to the layout of the room and we're experiencing the same problem in all the room with the same layout as the one you had, although not as severely as in your room. It's also correct, as one can see from your photos, that there are stains in the paint on the ceiling, but we can not find that there is any mold. Of course, as a consequence of the poor ventilation, that could be an issue in the future, so we do have it on our maintenance list and will address the problem as soon as we can.
We thank you again for your feedback and wish you a good summer!
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel was perfect! Close to the main airport train station, close to walking to catch all the various sights and restaurants, and the room we had (a business room) was super spacious and so lovely! A separate bedroom from the living room/kitchen area which means if you have a kiddo you can skill have some private time once they go to sleep (although to be fair, I didnt travel with my son this trip). But I am tuned into this sorta thing and this place had lots of kid friendly things, including breakfast, ping pong, and even chalk to draw on the ground. I would stay here again in a heart beat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Chowsmith,
Thank you ever so much for your positive feedback following your recent stay with us at Thon Hotel Oslo Panorama. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your room and found the hotel to be perfect. It's also very nice to see that you appreciate our efforts to be child friendly. I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon!
Pirkkala, Finland
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Thon Panorama is a "Holiday Inn/ Scandic" quality hotel: clean, functional, but nothing really special. Staff is friendly. There is good coffee available in the lobby. Rooms have wifi.

I stayed in Panorama 2 nights. I had a room in the 2nd floor.

On the first night there were teenagers in the neighbor rooms, and their partying kept me awake. It was a warm summer night and the room was also pretty hot.

On the second night the teenagers were not there, and I was able to enjoy of the small patio/ garden outside my room. It is much nicer to work and respond to the emails in a cozy garden than in a small room. Because there was no party noise anymore, I was also able to sleep.

Thon Panorama was really good value. I would stay there again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear eerola,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us, we really appreciate your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear that you were disturbed by the guests next door the first night, I wish you would have told us so that we could have gone up to talk to them. We do not tolerate noise that are disturbing to other guests during the night.
However I'm glad that you had an excellent second night and was able to enjoy the patio outside your room and get a good night's sleep. I hope we can welcome you back in the future!
UK
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Decided to pay extra for a larger room for our three day visit, which turned out to be money well spent. Our room was on the 11th floor with a view of the city and fjord from the balcony and was clean and spacious. Room had cooking facilities (microwave and hob) available but strangely no plates/knives or forks (no biggy as no intention of cooking) and also a fridge which we did use. Only thing missing was a corkscrew and the only fault (minor) I can say was that reception could not locate one in the hotel when we asked. Apart from that reception staff from arrival to departure were always pleasant and helpful. Excellent choice of hot and cold food for breakfast and free coffee (very good quality) available all day. If you could give it 4.5 out of five I would.

Room Tip: Higher the better if you want rooms with a view, go for the room upgrade.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Caroline W, Guest Relations Manager at Thon Hotel Oslo Panorama, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear adey666,
Thank you so much for your comprehensive review. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found upgrading to a business room money well spent. It's correct that not all the rooms that has a kitchen (the majority of our rooms do) are equipped with knives, plates and so forth, but we do have rooms with fully equipped kitchens available for those who wants to do some cooking in the room. Also we should of course have been able to provide you with a corkscrew, so I apologize for us running out of those. I really hope that you'll choose us again on your next visit to Oslo. Welcome back!
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Booked and payed on internet. I chose not the cheapest rooms, but a large nice one costing more. When I arrived early afternoon there was a line of people outside trying to get in - the electric doors wouldn't open. With only 1 young man on duty in the reception (only staff present?) it took some time to fix it. Got a room with a view - but my view was a grim dark view to a gray cement wall 3 meters away that with no sunlight coming down. Stayed there many times before, but the boy in the reception hadn't the guts to give me another one with some light coming in. Be aware of those rooms with no view, not even a backyard. Bed ok, room other ways ok, breakfast ok, location ok.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with NOT a view to a gray wall.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no

1 Thank Arvid Munthe J
Dear Arvid Munthe J,
First of all, thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very valuable to us and I have shared your comments with the rest of the staff so that we can use it in our constant strive for improvement.
In this case you had booked a standard room and I'm sorry to hear that you found it to be too dark. We were fully booked at the time and therefore wouldn't have been able to move you to a different room. Should you choose to return I would recommend that you book a superior or business room (these rooms are on the highest floors) or specify in the booking that you want a room higher up or facing the street. I hope that we can welcome you back on another occasion and that we will be able to offer you a better experience then.