“Reasonable quality hotel but very expensive”

BEST WESTERN Kampen Hotell
Ranked #71 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
UK
“Reasonable quality hotel but very expensive”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

A little bit out from the city centre, so the hotel was available and not fully booked when everything else was, but the prices were very high, although being an apartment there was a microwave, sink, fridge (but no minibar), but it did have coffee and tea making facilities. There was some confusion on checkin as we had booked two rooms, but that was soon sorted.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

The reception staff were helpful and the hotel looks pretty clean and not far from the centre, also near the Munsch museum. The big no no for me though was the room with the air con not working and a fan shuffling warm air around it was hard to sleep, also the large kitchen had no cutlery, plates or cookware so what's the point??
The outside door lock was broken just the hole where the handle was.
A shame really as these are all fixable.

• Stayed August 2013

Travellers are raving about these Oslo hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel three nights in two different rooms during an unusually warm week in Oslo. There was no a/c in either of the rooms we stayed in. Though our rooms were said to be on the third level, they were really only 1 story (at most) above street level. I did NOT feel comfortable sleeping there with the window cracked open all night. Unfortunately, there was no air circulation, only one portable fan, and the bathrooms smelled mildewy, so we had to have the window open when we were there. I wonder if it is a "sick building", because I had terrible headaches and allergy problems the whole time I was there, which subsided after leaving the hotel.
Also, I found it awkward to walk from the bedroom through the "living area" to the bathroom at night because the floor in each area was at a different level (by only an inch or three). I don't know why they made walking between rooms unnecessarily hazardous. It was weird because the only place that didn't have a "lip" was in the bathroom. It would have been useful to keep water in the shower area and not over the entire bathroom floor.
The hotel location was convenient to the T-bane, the restaurant was pleasant, the desk staff was nice to us, but I don't think I can recommend this hotel to others.

1 Thank happytravelerkris
Paris, France
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Nicely located within 2 T-bahn stations from the center, this Best Western is OK but definitely not worth a second stay.
Good point: the large terrace available for all rooms, with tables where you can eat your own prepared meals (kitchens in the rooms) as long as you were careful enough to have brought a kitchen set as NOTHING comes with the kitchen, not even a plate. The front desk kindly RENTS a cooking/eating kit for 20€ a day. Great attentiveness, isn't it? :)
PS: good free wifi.
PPS: hotel garage costs a fortune
PPPS: service quality under the average, staff are really there as they were working in a factory

1 Thank Yann L
Beijing, China
Reviewed 25 July 2013

In general I score my stay in this hotel above average. The apartment was clean, spacious and nicely designed. Check-in & check-out was fast. Restaurant was nice too. The price is not expensive comparing to normal price in Norway.

However, there are a couple of things annoyed me. If these didn't happen, I would definitely have put high score for this hotel:

1. When I booked the apartment, I specifically booked one apartment with kitchen. However upon my arrival, I was told that I need to rent kitchenette with NOK150 per day. I told the receptionist that I didn't see this written anywhere on Agoda, (or even in the Guest Book in the room,) but she told me it was there. This is not true. And I think the information is misleading and wrong. This info should be written in the same way as the info of parking.

2. I arrived in Oslo in a heat wave. But, the temperature control in the room seemed not working. I called up the reception, and was told that i need to "press the button twice", which didn't work at all. Since there is a fan in the room, I suspect other guests complained before and that was the temporary solution. I tried to keep the window open but it was too noisy even in the night, since the apartment is facing to the street.

This problem is probably hard to solve, but at least the hotel can put some instruction or explanation for the temperature control. The existing explanation in the room was about the air extractor in the kitchen, and it took me 5 min to understand the 2 paragraph....

Room Tip: Don't choose the rooms facing to the street if you like/have to keep windows open when you sleep...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Romichen
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We had to pay extra for everything, whereas in other Best Westerns we had free breakfast. No air conditioning or air circulation at all, low customer service, kitchen without kitchen essentials, and limited seats in room. On the bright side breakfast was excellent, but that was the only good point.

2 Thank 414Laura
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed at Best Western Kampen Hotell for 2 days and 1 night. I was coming to oslo for a business trip.Best location compared to other hotels.Very near to metro station,3 mins walking distance from downtown central station.I booked Kampen Deluxe (Single Room).Room is complete with unique decors of black and silver combined with varied textures.Free Wi-Fi Internet access with high speed,32 inch LCD television,fully ully equiped kitchen and a washing machine in the bathroom.

Room price is low as compared to other hotels in oslo.All the staffs are known norwegian as well as english language very well.

Stayed june 2013, travelled as a business trip

Room Tip: Most of the rooms feature balconies making it the perfect choice for sun shine lovers.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
AmarPreet S, Manager at BEST WESTERN Kampen Hotell, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Miller

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at - 47 24 07 40 00.

Amar Preet