“An interesting experience.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #73 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
Horsham, United Kingdom
“An interesting experience.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

The hotel is all apartments, but strangely even though the rooms have a dish washer, washing machine etc, there are no plates or cutlery provided. The hotel is also totally non smoking, but my room stunk of stale cigarettes, so was moved to another room. The safe was locked open, so I was unable to reset it, so therefore I had to trust my valuables would be safe. Strangely the curtains don't close properly, but there are small bits of velcro to enable you to stick them together. I had constant problems with my door not locking, and when it did my key card wouldn't work. I think the chambermaid let me in more times than I did myself. Breakfast was fine, a reasonable selection of items.

The location is good, a few metres from Toyen Metro station, which all the metro trains from Oslo Central station stop at. So getting to and from the centre of Oslo is very quick and easy. Toyen metro station is a bit confusing, as the street names are not listed, so it isn't obvious which direction to take. However, if you come out of the station and turn left and walk through a small shopping area, the hotel is just across the road. The hotel is also very near the Munch and natural history museums, which are in a nice park, worth a walk round.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AmarPreet S, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Kampen Hotell, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Marcuh,

First of all I would like to apolosize for the inconvience faced by you during your stay with us at Best Western Kampen Hotel.

By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.

As a gesture of goodwill, I will like to offer a discounted price next time you visit Oslo.

Kindly contact me directly at varun@kampenhotell.no to make the booking next time.

Regards

Varun Malhotra

Ph - +47 21642170

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here in August 2013 and really enjoyed our time here. Reception staff were friendly and accommodating. The rooms we thought were lovely, and had a different spin on your typical hotel room - very modern. We stayed for 3 nights and was relatively cheap compared to some other places we seen in Oslo. The hotel is close to the train station, from where you can get to anywhere in the city easily. Felt safe here and would probably return! x

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank butterfly_parade
Dresden, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Pros:
* Worth it for the price
* Ample facilities (2 TV's+ dishwasher + washing machine + )
* Nice room service
* Luxurious stay experience
* Near by bus and metro stops and supermarkets
* Luggage storage rooms

Cons:
* Concept of renting utensils is nonsense
* Not very spacious rooms
* Pullout couch for 2 persons was horrible

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sbeshwaran89
Leoben, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

I was here for a night with my friends, on the way to Spitzbergen.

Arriving to this hotel from the airport was not a big problem for us, with train connections.

However the receptionist was not helpful and was offered a room in the second floor.

The rooms were quite small and two double beds, two TV's and a fitted kitchen.

The rooms were quite sound proof and had ample light from the windows in the morning and the air conditioning was working good, which helped us to adjust the room temperature to a considerable extent.

However, the hotel do not stand to the Best Western quality.

1 Thank kgprashanth
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We ended up in here having booked the cheaper part of this hotel but having been 'upgraded'. Rooms were good with washer/dryer, kitchenette, TVs in both lounge area (sofa bed) and main bedroom. Coffee making supplies provided and code for free internet. Overall a comfortable stay. Our room was only made up for 3 people even though our booking stated 2 adults and 2 children but they sorted it out. Very strange double door arrangement into the room. We paid for breakfast in the hotel on the first morning (cheaper if you book in advance) but wouldn't bother again. I didn't find it to be worth it. Very convenient to get to the centre using the underground.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

A very spontaneous trip to Oslo with 3 friends & chose this hostel based upon location & reviews. Quite difficult to find on foot from the station, even with a map (would recommend getting a taxi if you arrive in the evening just to save your sanity when it's 0C!), but we found that it was totally worth the trek! We were expecting a typical hostel set-up: a simple dormitory room, perhaps with an ensuite bathroom if we were lucky. All 4 of were gobsmacked as we unlocked our front door to find a lovely apartment: living space with table, chairs, sofa, TV, wardrobe & mini kitchen area (hob, sink, cupboards WITH CUTLERY, PLATES, POTS & PANS), then one bedroom on the same level with another on an open balcony up some steps from the living area. Individual apartments are separately tucked away behind two doors so it was nice & quiet (although the walls are a bit on the thin side... but being students this didn't really bother us!). Staff at reception were friendly. Overall, incredible value for money (especially considering how expensive the rest of Oslo is). Wouldn't have minded living there!

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I happened to be on business in this area of Oslo and due to the general high prices on hotels in the city I elected this hotel. It appeared to be a combination of hotel and apartments for short term rent, and I was happy to be given one of the flats; I am not sure if all rooms are the same but if you get one of the flats, go for it. My flat had a kitchenette with fridge and in the bathroom was a washing machine, and there were 2 flat screen TVs (one in the bedroom and one in the lounge). The room was all modern and clean, and I enjoyed staying there. The hotel is not very well located if you want to go out for dinner: I could not find any decent places in walking distance.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business