“3rd floor - Wi-Fi is almost absent, kitchenware rent is weird”

Best Western Kampen Hotell
Ranked #70 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
“3rd floor - Wi-Fi is almost absent, kitchenware rent is weird”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Been here second time (business trip, so it was not mine choice of the hotel): me and my colleague were given the rooms without microwave oven and ceramic hob, unlike previous time, even though description said we should have ones. This was explained by renovation of the hotel and that descriptions were not up-to-date. Instead, we had the rooms with one common passage, having ceramic hob there, though. But what is the sense of ceramic hob without kitchenware, right? So i tried to rent kitchenware as previous time. But once again I was told on reception, that price 150 NOK is PER NIGHT, it's nonsense, but I did not try to risk one more time. The previous time I paid 150 NOK, but the maid who brought it to my room said no one ever would take away kitchenware after paying a rent, so it's a price for whole the time of being...
Wi-Fi on 3rd floor is terrible! At least at our room connection was 1 line and dropped all the time - so no chance to download something or watch online. Just a couple of messages in messenger. I told receptionist about this, she wrote a note to someone. But of course, no one did anything... The signal in lobby is OK.

In the rest it's a usual 3-start, hotel, nothing especial and no more complaints.

Room Tip: I think you should avoid 3rd floor if you are planning to be online from the room. Also be sure to a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AmarPreet S, General Manager at Best Western Kampen Hotell, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking time to provide your valuable comments and I will make sure that your comments will be discussed in management meeting and necessary action will be taken for the improvement.

As far as price of renting kitchen equipment's is concerned, it will be discussed in meeting as well on how to avoid complaints like this.

As a gesture of goodwill I would like to offer you the special price next time you visit Oslo.

Kindly contact me directly next time when you visit Oslo and I will make sure that you will be having a comfortable stay with us.

Varun Malhotra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Pros:
- Staff: Great staff, friendly and helpful. Had a couple of ranging issues with our apartment (e.g, door broken, not enough toilet roll, etc) and they were always quick to help.
- Facilities: The common (shared) area in our apartment was well equipped with a fridge, oven and microwave plus plenty of cutlery and crockery. We had a large dining table and TV in the same area as the kitchen, plus some very comfy sofas on an upper (more private) level. We had 1 bathroom with toilet and shower and a separate WC. Everything looked new and well looked after. There was wifi available for 60NOK per 24 hours which I purchased and was very happy with the connection.
- Cleanliness: When we arrived, the apartment was clean and well kept. The bathroom and WC were always kept very clean.
- Comfort: The beds were surprisingly comfy, though I have a preference towards firm mattresses so it may not be to everyone's liking!
- Value for money: Not completely satisfied that I got good value for money here.
- Location: Very close to a metro station (Tøyen, just a 5 minute ride to Oslo S), or just 30 minutes walk to Karl Johans Gate and other main attractions of Oslo. Just to the right of the hotel is a petrol station with a small 7-Eleven with some basic necessities, or there are also larger Rimi and Kiwi shops nearby.

Cons:
- Staff: Loved them, nothing we didn't like!
- Facilities: Just a couple of qualms. No washing up liquid or sponges to wash the dishes. Possibly me being an idiot but I slipped in the shower and consequently bruised my nose and knee! Non slip mats would be welcomed on the tiled floor. Also, when booking the room we were told it would be our room and 2 other rooms maximum - when we arrived, there were 5 rooms in total! With 2 people per room, that makes for a lot of people squabbling over the use of the facilities.
- Cleanliness: Housekeeping is not included in the room price, and it's 100NOK for your room to be cleaned and linens changed. There never seemed to be enough toilet rolls - as mentioned above, 10 people in the apartment means 1 roll replaced per day went very quickly!
- Comfort: Though there was a heater in the room for those usual cold Norwegian nights (and days too, I guess!), it was actually pretty warm and humid when we stayed, and this really wasn't catered for in the rooms. Leaving a window open is not the best idea because our window opened onto Kjølbergata, which is a busy street at rush hour, plus the hotel is close to a police station so there are constant sirens!
- Value for money: Ok, this point is relative, and depends how you evaluate it. Oslo IS an expensive city, there's no escaping that, but this just seemed pretty damn expensive for a hostel.
- Location: Not the best area of Oslo, though common sense (as in any capital city) should see to it that you get around safely. There is a police station nearby, so be prepared for more sirens than you may be used to.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
AmarPreet S, General Manager at Best Western Kampen Hotell, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking time to provide your valuable comments which will help us in motivating our staff so that they offer better customer service next time.

Kindly contact me directly next time when you visit Oslo.

Email - sales@kampenhotell.no
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Shared a room with a friend at this hotel for four nights in May 2014. Not our first option, but Oslo busy at that time, could not find other accommodation, and this hotel was not cheap either.Stay that was marred by a series of incidents, big and small. Location is fine, only about eight minutes walk from underground station, three stops away from central area. On arrival, were told our room was not ready and asked to wait in the lobby of a very cramped reception area that is only ever attended by one receptionist at a time, so you always have to wait in line. On going back to ask how long it would take to have access to room, receptionist told she had forgotten that we were waiting, even though she could see us all the time sitting at the lobby! Hotel is being renovated and there is dust everywhere. Got to our room, but not happy with it as the door window gives out onto a terrace full of chairs and tables, where people get onto for leisure, so could not enjoy daylight much, had to keep curtains closed. Asked for a swap, no other rooms available. Room decent, and clean, but small, no bedside table on one side, very dark. Electricity sockets out of reach (one near the ceiling, another behind the bed!). Television channels and image not working properly, reported it and that was fixed swiftly. Had to go to reception twice and wait in line to ask for a wi-fi code/password and twice given one that expired the next day, when stay was for four days. Also, my friend asked manager at reception, Mr Bala, for quick help in translating a couple of lines into English on instructions about how to administer a dose of prescription-free medicine, but manager refused to help point blank, even though it was not an emergency. On Friday evening, walked into the room to find the glass door had been left ajar by the cleaner, so a potential breach of security as anyone could have gone inside. But the more serious incident was being awakened by two strangers who managed to open our room door with their own key and walk into the room at 7:30 on the Sunday morning. We were shocked by this intrusion and reported it to Mr Bala, who vaguely said he was going to look into in and who did not even bother to apologise by this serious breach of security. When we checked out, we asked for a complaint form so we could record the incident of strangers getting access to our room, had to wait quite some time before Mr Bala produced two short sheets for guest comments, which is not what we asked for.So we have been unable so far to record this complaint, will try and find their website. But not hopeful that any explanation or apology will be provided. Breakfast was the only redeeming feature. So, overall, cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank yazzev
AmarPreet S, General Manager at Best Western Kampen Hotell, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Mam,

First of all I would like to apologize for the inconvenience faced by you during your stay with us. We here try to make sure that every guest should have a comfortable stay which didn't happen during your stay with us.

Comments provided by you are quite serious and I will make sure that these will be discussed in management meeting and necessary steps will be taken to stop this in future.

Also, more training will be given to the staff so that efficient customer service should be provided to our future guest.

As a gesture of goodwill and more importantly to get your faith back in us I would like to offer you a discounted price on your next visit to Oslo.

Kindly contact me directly at varun@kampenhotell.no to make your reservation and I will make sure that you will be having a comfortable stay with us.

Hope you will provide us a chance to show our real service.

Varun Malhotra

Travellers are raving about these Oslo hotels

lillesand, Norway
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Very nice apartment hotel where you have your own kitchen, separate bedroom and also washing facilities. We even had a large balcony. Parking within the hotel and good communication to the city center. Reasonable price and much cheaper than downtown Oslo. Basic restaurant but with very good food and friendly service in the reception.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Sir/Madam,

Kindly contact me directly next time when you visit Oslo.

Email - sales@kampenhotell.no
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I loved my stay at this hotel. Stayed there 2 nights in April while on holidays as a couple. The room was very modern, tidy, spacious, and well-organised. I loved the room, the double bed was great, free coffee and tea in the room. The money I paid for my room was definitely worth it for my experience. It is actually the first ever hotel that I stayed and it also had a balcony at the 6th floor looking over Oslo (lovely view!).

Locationwise, the hotel is situated 1 min from a local metro station and it was very very handy because we could visit the rest of the city easily just by jumping into the metro. The area looked nice, safe, and clean.

Customer service was lovely. Check in was quick and effective, staff members knew their job and provided professional first line customer service. They were also very helpful, the teabags in my room were finished and they provided me with some more for free :)

At check out, the staff helped us a lot in letting us know how to catch the local bus in order to continue our journey.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! MY EXPERIENCE OF THIS PLACE WAS LOVELY! KEEP IT UP!
GREAT HOTEL!

A VERY PLEASED CUSTOMER

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gogoc389
AmarPreet S, General Manager at Best Western Kampen Hotell, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Greetings from Best Western Kampen Hotel !!

First of all thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to provide your valueable comments which will help us to motivate our team.

I will make sure that your comments will be discussed in daily meetings and we will keep our momentum up with an excellent service.

Kindly contact me directly next time when you would like to make the booking so that I can offer you a special price.

Email - varun@kampenhotell.no
United States
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights from 5th to 7th December 2013 on business.
Let me get to the Pros and Cons:

Pros:
- Relatively cheaper compared to other Hotels in the area
- Not-so-luxurious-but-okay-for-a-good-morning-start kind of a breakfast
. Make-as-you-want sandwich with eggs and bacon, with fruits for dessert
- Clean and cozy rooms
- Wi-Fi in the room

Cons:
- Remote location, far from everything else
- Wi-Fi signal is very weak

In one line: If you want a quiet business hotel, stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kirantnath
AmarPreet S, General Manager at Best Western Kampen Hotell, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Sir,

Greetings from Best Western Kampen Hotell !!

First of thanks for taking time from your busy schedule to put your valueable comments and I assure you that your comments will be discussed in our management meeting and necessary action will be taken so our future guest should not face these kind of problems.

As a gesture of goodwill, I would like to offer you a discounted price for your next visit with us. Kindly contact me directly next time at varun@kampenhotell.no to make your booking and I will make sure that you will be having a comfortable stay with us.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Visitors please dont get fooled by the word 'apartment' in this hotel, as it is likely to be smaller than an average room in any other decent 4 star hotel.The hotel is unbelievably overpriced and offers almost NOTHING good.There is NO HOT WATER regardless of the fact that oslo has severe winters. We booked an apartment and expected there to be cutlery at least.There's an extra charge if you ask for plates/spoons/forks!! Can you believe it?!?! Theres no room service and one has to go down every time even if you need towels/shampoo. i went down to get ice for the night(for the second time during the day, as i once went in the evening too), and the manager could not have been more rude and said "Next time we'll send the chef for you". I also wrote a complaint at the hotel, and requested them that I'd like to meet the owner of this property. They assured me that they would call me within 24 hours, but they never did. It was a terrible experience and I strongly recommend everyone to stay away from this hotel as there are plenty of other options in Oslo, and its better to stay a little bit farther from the city center than staying 2 km away as it is. I'd prefer staying in a 1 star hotel than this one.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank metal4eek
AmarPreet S, Manager at Best Western Kampen Hotell, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Sir,

First of all I would like to apolosize for the inconvience faced by you during you stay with us at Best Western Kampen Hotel. We here at Best Western Kampen try to make sure that we should provide effecient service to all our guest but it had not been possible during your stay.

Your comments have already been discussed in management meeting and necessary steps have taken to improve the customer service.

Also, as a gesture of goodwill and more importantly to get your faith back in us, I would like to offer you the 50% discount on your next stay withus. Kindly contact me directly at varun@kampenhotell.no to make your booking and I assure you you will be having memorable stay with us.

Varun Malhotra
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oslo
Sentrum
Gamle Oslo
Norwegian Hotel
Norwegian Hotel
#71 of 100 in Oslo

Been to Best Western Kampen Hotell? Share your experiences!