“9/10 in terms of value for money. Great location, good food and friendly staff. Just about perfect in every way.”

Clarion Collection Hotel Folketeateret
Ranked #12 of 101 Hotels in Oslo
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2010

I booked for two nights at the beginning of December 2010 but because of an enforced change in travel plans (due to UK weather problems) we were very happily forced to stay here for three nights.

Before booking, I researched every hotel in Oslo and this one soon became my number 1 target. On the flight to Oslo a native Norwegian told me the Folketeateret would be her choice if she didn't already live in Oslo. That made me think I had made the right choice and having spent three nights there I am still of the same opinion.

Ok, it's not the cheapest place in Oslo but it certainly is not the most expensive either. Rather than rate this on outright cost I would prefer to rate the Folketeateret for actual value for money and my verdict is 9/10.

The hotel is just 5 minutes walk from the main shoppng area and also 5 minutes walk from the Spektrum arena - from our point of view that put this hotel in the perfect position.

The Folketeateret has an upmarket boutique hotel feel from the moment you walk into reception. It is so nice in the reception area that many guests just relax there by the fire and help themselves to the free drinks machine - the hot chocolate is really recommended to combat the cold outside!

The hotel room was also really nice. Ours was on the sixth floor and whilst it didn't have a picture box outlook from the window (just a rather dismal view into a courtyard) we weren't there to take in the view from the hotel. As hotel rooms go, this was pretty nice and just as I read elsewhere, the beds here are fantastic. The heating system was more than efficient and the heated floor in the bathroom was an added bonus.

Whilst in our room we could hear some distant noise from a music club and whilst it was not my personal taste in music it was not loud enough to prevent me from having a very good nights sleep.

The area around the hotel seemed very safe, certainly it was well lit and always seemed to be busy so I doubt it would be that attractive to the criminal elements you read about in reviews for other hotels. There are a number of seven 11's nearby so you can get supplies just about anytime you need.

The hotel breakfast was plentiful and varied and the evening buffet was actually better than I expected. OK, it might not be a gourmet meal but there was plenty of choice and only the most fussy eater would have a problem. My wife is a vegetarian and we both enjoyed a very hearty meal at the buffet. Considering the meals are included in the price of your room I found this added a couple of ticks to the value for money column.

I ventured up to the lounge for the advertised afternoon session of hot drinks and baked goods/waffles. This was pretty much a waste of time; the drinks machine up there is not nearly as comprehensive as the machine in reception and I didn't see any baked goods or waffles on offer during my visit. My recommendation would be to grab a muffin or a current bun from the breakfast buffet and save it for the afternoon but get your drinks from the reception machine.

The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. I can't fault them at all and thank them all for making our stay even better, especially Bjorn the night receptionist, who assisted us with a couple of problems on arrival and gave us some handy advice.

The wifi in the hotel was really good and fast. It's a slight hassle having to go through the process of registering each time you want to use the internet but the scratch cards you need for free access are readily available from reception.

Due to travel delays we arrived in Oslo too late to get the express train into town from the airport. We had to get a taxi and it cost an eye watering £130 - thank goodness it was covered on our insurance! On our way back to the airport we walked to the central station (which took about 5 minutes). The airport express train cost about £20 each and was really fast and dead easy - It goes every ten minutes, you walk up to a machine, swipe your credit card and get on board, it really is that simple! If there are two of you just swipe your card in two seperate machines and do the same to exit at the other end. For train times check out the train operators website at www.flytoget.no

We will definitely stay at the Folketeateret when we next visit Oslo. The 360 camera tour on the hotel website gives you a very accurate insight into what you can expect - check it out for yourself and I hope your trip to Oslo is as good as ours.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank The-Bray
FolketeateretOslo, Front Office Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Folketeateret, responded to this review, 21 January 2011
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences at the hotel. We are very glad that you liked the hotel and that you wish to come back to us, Bjørn especially. Name dropping is always exciting and he was very happy that you appreciated his service. You are more than welcome back to us!

Johanna Furenbäck
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We stayed for 1 weekend at the end of November '10 for my 21st birthday and would most deffinetly be returning in the near future...
The people and the atmosphere make you feel like you are right at home.
Breakfast and Evening Meals were fantastic and no hidden charges anywhere!
All through the day they make you feel very welcome and satisfied with free hot drinks machine and sweet snacks and fruit to keep your energy going in the cold :)
Right in the middle of the best, most beautiful city we have ever been to and a bus/metro ride away from everywhere (although being in this Hotel doesn't feel like you are in the hustle and bustle but more like peace and quiet)
The hotel is in the perfect location and i couldn't think of a better place to spend a weekend away...so relaxing but still so much to do!! never a dull moment...
We hope to return soon!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Oslo
Reviewed 5 November 2010

We checked in satuarday afternoon in this charming new hotel in the heart of Oslo.

The check in was quicke and very serviceminded and proffesional, and took only a few minutes.
We got a fantastic room in the 7th floor.
The staff was friendly and serviceminded and we did not miss anything at our stay in this hotel.
We can truly recomend to stay here for any occations.

Very pleased guest

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
FolketeateretOslo, Front Office Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Folketeateret, responded to this review, 7 November 2010
Dear "Very pleased guest",

We thank you for a fantastic review! We are glad to hear that our concept of giving "the little extra" to our guests it appreciated and acknowledged. Hope to see you again!

Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 26 October 2010

General norwegian hotel service. (Pretty good, but not like Asian hotels in the same price range.)

Modern, nice design in the rooms. But they are small.

Close to the main railwaystation in Oslo, t-bane(metro), shoppingmalls and 10 min tot he main street, Karl Johan,

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eztini
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We were @ Folketeateret in Aug. and it was simply fantastic. Staff was so good, nice and friendly, the amotsphere is charming and cozy. We had a beautiful junior suite with a very nice terrace. The location is very convenient, close to everywere, and the lounge with free evening meal is an excellent value. We will come back for sure. And Kate Moss is always in the door, wich is pretty glamorous ;-)) Also a cool gym downstairs quite well equiped (nobody used it, was great)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback from your stay and you very velcome back to us! We and Kate Moss will be here for your return. Have a great fall!

Pasadena CA
Reviewed 17 October 2010

This hotel is only blocks from the train station which is very convenient since I arrived by train and took the airport train from the station to the Oslo airport. I liked the look of the rooms - mine was purple and black - everything had its place and they made maximal use of the space. Only problem was that there didn't seem to be any AC. I tried to turn the thermostat down but finally just had to leave the windows open to cool off the room (it was the end of Sept and luckily I was on the 6th floor). I asked at the desk and they said to use the thermostat. When I said it didn't change the temperature in the room, the woman at the desk didn't seem to believe me. But I have a thermometer on my travel alarm clock so I know that the temperature didn't change. Breakfast was good and the light evening meal included in the room rate was plenty for me.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank JeanPasadenaCA
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your review and your comments about the heating regulation in the room. We do not have aircondition, but airflow. Still, it should work to regulate from each room. Dissapointly it did not work successfully in your room and we will take action.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Oslo.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2010

brilliant hotel centrally located near the shopping centre and cathedral and easy to reach the main attratctions of oslo.The room was dark but ultra trendy and the iron was a bonus and I used it too.....The bathroom was clean and trendy with dark tiles.The added bonus was the coffee,tea or chocolate in the lounge with fruit all day and the breakfast and evening buffet were good too - we didnt need to spend any money on food or drinks all weekend and along with the Oslo Pass was well worth the money.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

1 Thank michele065
Dear Michele,

We thank you for taking the time to send us some feedback from your stay and thank you for a lot of positive notes. We are happy to hear that you appreciated the iron in the room and the afternoon coffee/tea, fruit all day and the including evening buffet. All our rooms have iron and an ironboard and the afternoon coffee and evening buffet is part of our concept here at Clarion Collection Hotel Folketeateret - "Vi byr på" (eng. translation "It's on us" or "It's included").

You are more than welcome back to us and we wish you a good fall!