“Loved it”

Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

A really great dining experience. This is supposedly the "informal" of the two restaurants, but as far as I can tell, the only thing informal about it is what its patrons are wearing -- we went in very dress-down clothes and sneakers. Otherwise, it's a classy (but not at all stuffy) place, with excellent food and excellent service.

I recommend going for the 10-course tasting menu with the upgraded wine pairing. One thing that was helpful is that for several of the smaller complementary courses, they are served together, so it is a 10-course meal in an 8-serving presentation. I found this to be innovative, and didn't detract from the experience, but instead made it a little more manageable time-wise. Wine pairings were slightly unusual, well-thought-out, and very well matched to the dishes.

We didn't need reservations, but partly because we arrived just as it opened. My understanding is that you'll need reservations otherwise. Make them!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

On a recent visit to Oslo, my dinning companion and I decided to treat ourselves to the highly raved about scrumptious fare at Statholderens Mat & Vinkjeller. We were happy we did.
This particular establishment is tucked away just beneath the more formal Statholdergaarden in its food and wine cellar (translation for Mat & Vinkjeller).

Statholderens has an atmosphere that exudes a lot of warmth, is decidedly relaxed and, quite intimate. In addition, our server, Henry, was a delight to deal with. He was very patient, took his time to explain the courses and overall just had a wining personality. Note: I would say this is a setting that's more fitting for couples and groups.

The restaurant offers its patrons an option of a 10-course menu or if preferable, choices from their a la carte offering. I opted for the latter (as there were selections on the 10-course I don't eat due to dietary restrictions). I had more than plenty to choose from. My companion on the other hand elected to go with the 10-course. Henry also helped us with our wine selection which was just spot on, given our choices.

I started with the 'Ceviche' made of salmon and halibut which had a bit of an Asian flare and included a couple soft spring rolls. This was also included as one of the courses on the 10-course menu. I enjoyed the ceviche very much.
For my Main, I moved on to the 'Catch of the Day' which happened to be Skate. It was perfectly accompanied by French potato salad, eggplant cream and served with a paprika and squash ragu. All flavors working scrumptiously well together.
And lastly, for dessert, I opted for a lighter choice, the Pavlova, which came with passion fruit sorbet and coconut. It was just enough of what was needed at that point. Very tasty.

To be sure, it's an expense (though so are most things in an obviously pricy city) but it’s a treat that's well worth it. Our experience was truly enjoyable. The staff, especially Henry, added very favorably, indeed, to the overall experience. Give it a whirl.

2  Thank theflyinggazelle
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Tucked below the slightly more formal Statholdergaarden, Bent Stiansen has created a cozy, romantic "sister restaurant" that was just about perfect. I chose the 10 course tasting menu and every course was a delight. The service, by our waiter (Henry), was attentive, accommodating but unobtrusive. In other words, pretty much perfect. He suggested a fantastic wine to pair with our meal, as well. The Statholderen Mat & Vinkjeller experience was a highlight of our trip. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I went for a romantic dinner with my wife in this restaurant recently. The atmosphere was fantastic, and even if basically all the tables were taken, it was easy to keep a relaxed conversation.

The food is high quality raw materials from fish, meat, vegetables other good stuff. You will get 10 very well made dishes (if you choose the big menu). Do not expect super fancy sauces reduced to perfection. That can be found in the second floor - at quiet a different price (also highly recommended). This is a gourmet light meal where you get to taste excellent raw materials without too much fancy touches.

Excellent food for a reasonable price.

2  Thank Excel2Travel
Reviewed 29 June 2014

With the average price range of the fine dining restaurants in Oslo, the price for the 10 courses meal at Statholderens Mat & Vinkjeller is reasonable in my opinion. All the dishes were small portions except for the veal meat. All the ingredients were fresh. My favorite would be the ceviche of salmon and a white fish which must be halibut, the dumpling which contained duck, the salmon looking fish which was marinated good and the earl grey slash (smashed ice).

The rest of the dishes lacked taste, quite bland. I expected more.

Anyway, I have bought and made some of the recipes in the book of Bent Stiansen, Hjemme Alene. His recipes there have more taste.

Place was full so I think it's important to book a table in advance. I have read that in a finance magazine that Bent Stiansen had the basement refurbished. I hope he includes the bathroom next time. It was like back to the 80s. Water was cold, no hot water and the mirror well, sorry for those who are just 5 ft tall, you will just see the tip of your hair.

I have eaten in the classy restaurant upstairs and I was more impressed there than in the basement. Only it is more expensive there. But I think if I have the budget to visit this restaurant again, I will go for the fine dining upstairs. The food there is more delicious.