“Great value for cheap price”

and 1 more site!
Gruner Apartment Hotel Oslo
Ranked #16 of 33 Speciality Lodging in Oslo
Hong Kong, China
“Great value for cheap price”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I travelled 4 Northern European countries and lived in about 10 hostels/ hotels in the trip and I found Grunder is the best value for money. The apartment situated in a tram stop just 2 stops away from the central station. You just need to walk for 3 minutes to go to the apartment from the tram stop. The apartment is bigger than enough to accommodate 2 people. Kitchen and utensils are clean and new. I cannot find any points to deduct their scores but need to mention that you need to call staff come out while you check in as their office is situated inside the buliding and the main door is closed for security reason.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Great apartments! Cheap for a city like Oslo, renovated, spacious, clean, in a great location, just 10 minutes on foot from city center. very helpful people, made our trip nicer! We stayed at a 2 bedroom apartment, which was clean, had really good temperature inside and hot water always running. We slept great on the really big beds and the sheets smelled freshness!

Room Tip: We stayed in the front side, 5th floor. No balcony but light and view. The tram passes just outside...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I needed a place to crash for a few hours as I was transiting through Oslo for a day, so booked a "secret hotel" through Trivago for about £80. I was of course disappointed when they revealed the name of the place that it was not a hotel but rather an appartment but as it was only for a night, it should be ok.
On the booking confirmation they say I have to provide the time of arrival, which I did. I got a reply from their staff saying that their reception was open till midnight and after that I should call the number on the door.
I rushed like crazy from the airport to get there by 23:30 but nothing. I called the number and the lady answering the phone was not even polite, no good evening nothing just "what's your name" then she said she'll be there within 15 min. I told her that her colleague mentioned that reception was open till midnight so why should I have to wait, I did not feel safe waiting on my own on the street and in the cold. She answered "well you either wait for me or you go somewhere else"
Seriously? I was fuming, but still waited for her. She let me in and said she'll be back with the keys...I waited another 10 min for her to come back.
The room is pretty basic and the set up did not make sense TV on the wall above the bed, tea bags and sugar available but no kettle or anything to warm water.
I initially booked that place without knowing what is was except the star rating (4 star) which is a joke as it is nowhere near 2 star. I also knew it was located in Grünerløkka which is the hip area in Oslo but trust me there was nothing hip around that place, only kebab shops.
Do not recommend this place, even for 1 night

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Oslo hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I booked up a 2-bed apartment for myself and my three boys for our two night stay. When I turned up, it appeared that they didn't have a 2-bedroom ones left and wanted to put me in 2 X 1-bed apartments. This would ordinarily have been a reasonable substitution, but I couldn't really put two children in an apartment on their own. So, they provided me with a fold-up bed that I used and put the three kids in the double bed.

That aside, everything else was fine. When I called the number on the door, the lady turned up within 10 mins and showed us around and explained how things worked. Having our own cooking facilities was really useful, as it meant I could feed the kids without having to break the bank at a local restaurant.

All in all, we were very happy and I would definitely stay there again if I was in Oslo. However, I could see that not having anyone on site could be a real problem if there was some kind of issue overnight and maybe the company that runs the place should get a callout support contract in place to assist people

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank passepartout-tout
Oslo
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Me and my daughter stayed at the Gruner Apts when we went to see the SHM at the Telenor Arena. We flew to Rygge airport. They have a free shuttle bus at Rygge airport that takes you to Rygge train station (approx 6 mins away). The train takes you directly to Oslo S train station (Oslo Central) for 147 Krone for adults (approx £16) and children under 15 are free! You can buy the train ticket from a machine at the station (you need change) or on the train for the same price. The train journey takes approx 50 mins with great scenery!. If you are unsure how to get to the Gruner Apts from Oslo S station, you are best to go to the Tourist Information building that is sign posted from the station. They advised us to get the tram, however it is only 2 stops away and does not stop directly outside the apts. Therefore, it is much easier to walk. It takes approx 8 mins to walk from Oslo S station. The apts are really nice, spacious, clean and have lots of supermarkets around. It is easy to travel around Norway from the Gruner Apts. I would use public transport rather than taxis as they are very expensive. We would definately stay in the Gruner Apts again. Very, very good value for money! Only downfall is there is no receptionist at sight. There is a number you have to phone that is on the door and they come and let you in. This can be a bit of a pain waiting around.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Sarah_S_12619
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 November 2012

This was a nightmare experience you will have to look long and hard to find somewhere this bad and dirty in Norway! It was almost impossible to check in as nobody answered the phone, this was also the case when the alarm went off on three early mornings in a row and stayed on for 8 hours! It was dirty (including semen stains on the sheets). Twice unusual people trapped in the courtyard early in the morning including a dancing naked woman (it was 0 degrees!), my company moved me in the end. NEVER again!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Ross116
Menston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is a bit of an odd place - you have to phone when you arrive and someone, who was very pleasant, lets you in. Normally don't think much about reception but when there isn't one there you suddenly find the need to contact it!. Apartment itself was near enough to town to walk in each day (15 minutes or so) and only three stops on the tram. The immediate vicinity was OK but not a lot to do. The apartment itself was more than adequate with a bedroom, and an open plan living area with dining table, sofa, tv and a well equipped kitchen as well as a wetrom style bathroom. One downside is that it is not serviced so you have to clean up yourself which is OK but there was a distinct lack of appropriate cleaning materials. Th eother downside was that the free wifi was very hit and miss. Having said all this, I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business