Gruner Apartment Hotel Oslo
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
PS:Hotell(Oslo)
  • Fitness centre
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed 3 nights there and weren't disappointed by our choice.
The location is very good. It's very easy to get to the place from the city center by buss or other public transportation.
The only thing, that they don't have a front desk and 24 hours service, so to let you in the need to know your arrival time in advance.
The room was very clean and it was really nice to have an own kitchen, so that we didn't have to spend much on eating out all the time.
I also suggest you to purchase an Oslo Pass, which is available to buy in several service points in the Oslo city center. It gives you free access to museums and public transport, and a number of special offers and saves you a lot of money, believe me!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karina P
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Nothing is cheap in Norway, so we searched and searched for a place to stay while on our 30 day, nine country driving tour. Of course, we had to schedule in some places to do laundry. This was the selling point for the Gruner. We could finally do laundry!

Once we booked the room, we needed to give a time that we expected to arrive. We did, and even updated it once and a while as we drove through some bad weather to get there. Arriving, we had all four of us on the lookout for the name, as we knew there would not be a large lobby. We found it quickly even in the dark, and parked around the corner. Once we called the number, a lady came down within 5 minutes and took us to our two bedroom furnished apartment. She gave us the instructions and information about the apartment, parking (secure parking in the basement) and sightseeing in the area.

The apartment was a very roomy apartment with a couch, kitchen table, four chairs, furnished kitchen area two bedrooms and a funky bathroom. Upon parking the car in the basement, we were able to move all our stuff via elevator to our room. Many items still had tags on them, so it appeared that the apartment had been updated with newer furniture.

The good.

The apartment is very roomy and clean. It affords a family or friends a good base of operations for a multi-day tour of Oslo. It also allows you to save a few dollars my making your own meals in the kitchen. Having just come from Turkey, we visited the Kapadocia (Cappadocia) restaurant two doors down. It was very good.

The laundry facilities were a welcome sight, even though there is no-one type “A” that uses the facility. It is a shame to see brand new machines get so abused and improperly used. I spent about thirty minutes doing a little maintenance on them. In the end, our clothes did get clean, and they were free…so who’s complaining.

Off street parking…for even large vehicles. We had a Thule on the car, and it fit easily. I think max height is 2 meters.

Location. We walked all the way downtown in about ten minutes. This was after we drove downtown and it took 45 minutes. I guess I should have done a better map review before leaving.

The bad.

Plug ins in the bedrooms. If your read my reviews, you know this is a pet peeve. There are no alarm clocks, so one must plug something in to tell the time and wake up, however, there are no available plug ins next to the beds. Why do this? I had a lamp next to my bed, but it wasn’t plugged in…because there wasn’t a place to plug it! Let’s see, we are traveling, so we need to charge the cell phones (all three of them), the cameras (two of them), the Kindle/IPad/Xoom, and maybe a computer. All these ended up being plugged in in the kitchen.

The bathroom was interesting. The room is about four feet wide and ten feet deep. The shower in at the end, with the shower curtain four inches off the floor. This meant the whole floor gets wet. Luckily I noticed this before my shower and placed my clean undies up high! The bathroom is just a little different. Not horrible, but different.

The beds were adequate. We reserved the apartment and said we had two kids (12 and 14), but they pushed their beds together to make one bed. Being that we have a boy and girl, they thought this was weird, so they split them back up.

Overall, the apartment is a pretty good deal for the dollar/euro/pound. None of the negatives are deal breakers for us. We didn’t find the neighborhood to be seedy in anyway. I guess if you don’t visit the big city often, having people walk buy as you wait outside can be unnerving. However, this family of four didn’t have an issue with it at all. As I have said already, it makes a wonderful place for a family or couples to share when on vacation.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 47Driver
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed here for 1 night in a small studio apartment (no bedroom). The apartment is a bit old with no aircondition, so the apartment is warm during summer. This is not a hotel, because when you arrive a hotel you just go inside and check in and they will give you the key. At this place the door is locked (and there is no reception) and there was a sign on the door with a phonenumber. I called 3 times but no answer. But suddenly a woman came and she said she will give me the key soon and then she was gone. Total waitingtime was 15 min.
The apartment was ok with double bed, 3 chairs and a table. But no couch. Apart from a hotel room this apartment has a fully equipped kitchen with refrigerator and oven.
The location is a bit shabby but there is bus/tram station a few steps away and there is only 3/4 stops from city center.
There is a flatscreen with 12 tv channels. Internet (wifi) is included and the speed is ok. Bed and the rest of the furniture are a bit cheap. Reading light at bed was not working. Check in time is 14 (2 pm), check out is 11 am.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving at Gruner Apartments, we read the sign on the door stating call this number and someone will bring you a key for entry. Our mobiles were not on international roaming so, unable to make a call. We got extremely lucky with someone exiting the building and they called the number for us. We were told to wait for 15 minutes...so, we waited and waited...eventually (about 35 minutes later) someone arrived with a key. Once in the apartment, it was bleak and almost empty. A dodgy bed, two thin towels, and a tea towel. This accommodation is definitely for the budget traveller. The upside was it was located near a bus and tram line and a supermarket was across from the tram stop.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Loving2travel1
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

The location is easy to access from the bus terminal, supermarket around the corner. Friendly and truly polite, helpful assistance from the apartment owner. Spacious apartment. I value with excellent maximum stars.

• Stayed: August 2013