“Nice, but will try somewhere else next time.”

First Hotel Grims Grenka
Ranked #49 of 102 Hotels in Oslo
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I reserved two nights at this hotel on the recommendation from a guidebook (published a few years ago!). Booked a Winter Room, but was given a tiny generic room on the 2nd floor. I did not argue because I was too exhausted from 24 hours of traveling. All rooms were meant to have a Bang&Olufsen TV, iPod docking station... But not mine. One ceiling light was broken from water damage, leaving the room extra dark, given it had a black ceiling and mood lighting. Yes, there was only one staff manning the reception during the evening and early mornings which was inadequate for a hotel. The housekeeping staff was not contactable when I dialled from my room, but he was very polite when finally arrived. Applause particularly for the restaurant staff for breakfast. I had to check out early, and despite not completing the breakfast preparation, the female staff made a concession for an early opening of the breakfast buffet, so I could still get a coffee and cereal before rushing off. That was practical sense rarely seen at hotels I have stayed at! Overall, the hotel was nice and conveniently located. A good hotel for a business stay, with attentive staff (when they are available), but otherwise just above average. September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mademoisellef

Reviewed 13 September 2013

We reserved the room through travelocity for two nights and were supposed to have a suite. We did get our suite when we checked in (and it was late, just after midnight). The suite would have been lovely, except someone had obviously snuck in to "use it" before we got in and thought they had done a decent of enough job cleaning up after themselves. Unfortunately they left the empty bottle of wine next to the bed and used the soap in the bathroom so that they were unwrapped on the trays....Plus the robes weren't folded right on the bed. We immediately called down and right away got another room but of course they didn't have another suite so we had a MUCH smaller room. Both rooms were very nice, sleek, modern. But the bathroom was tiny in the new room. And has this odd window into it. The hotel did feel bad and offered to send breakfast up the next morning but as there is breakfast included anyway, we didn't feel it was the greatest comp. The breakfast, however, is great, and includes a wonderful assortment of both cold and hot items. The location of the hotel is nice, it is a decent walk with luggage from the train station. Also, I had to print some documents out and the staff did that for me as their printer was broken, so I appreciated that. They also preordered a taxi for us. All in all, a fine hotel, not sure I would stay there again though, I'd probably try somewhere else for the money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Be aware. This hotel operates a policy of just one staff member on duty between the hours of 11pm - 7am. When called away from the front desk to deal with a problem the front doors are locked. No way for guests to get in ( or out) and no contact numbers. Outrageous for a hotel that claims to be a high standard. Obviously cost cutting at the expense of guest on for and safety.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stewart268
Linda S, General Manager at First Hotel Grims Grenka, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Stewart268,

We are really sorry that you had to experience a locked front door on your return to the hotel at night.
This is a safety issue, and on a few occations our night shift receptionist has to leave the front desk in order to i.e. assist a guest in his/her room. I have however addressed the case with the technical staff and we are looking into a solution to let our guests unlock the front door with their room card in order to avoid an occurrence of your problem. In the meantime, I will make sure the staff will put a notice of explanation or contact number on the door should such happen again.

I would also like to thank you for voicing your concerns. Guest feedback provides us with the best opportunities to improve.

Yours sincerely,
Linda Søvik

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Nice and clean room, quite small and just one small window. Though I dont particularly like green, the room were tastefully decorated. The bath had class-walls, with see-through in eye-height. Too warm at night! There were no handicap-entrance for my daughters baby-pram, but the reception were most helpful in and out. Breakfast were nice. The hotel is a designhotel with many fascinating features in form of the interior.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I just stayed here 6 nights for business. Fantastic front-desk service. The room was nice, bed really comfortable, but some reviewers have commented about the lighting and bathroom. The lighting is definitely annoying, particularly if you're looking for the bathroom light in the middle of the night. Bathroom layout is wierd, particularly where the mirror is versus the sink. Wifi service is spotty. All of these are minor, however.

The location is great and close to everything. The breakfast spread is decent, but could be better with more hot choices. Unlike the front desk service which is outstanding, the breakfast servers / attendants are remotely close to being friendly.

I didn't eat at the restaurant for dinner and the terrace lounge had private parties for the several nights I would have wanted to go there. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Very nice design hotel, with a nice atmosphere. I found my room very nice (and clean). The staff was very service minded and the breakfast was great. Combined with a good location at the centre of Oslo this is a hotel I definitely would have stayed in once more.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

I am sorry to report that the efforts of the nice staff are overwhelmed by the foolish rooms. The designer should be shot, nothing in the room makes any sense and form always dominates over function with negative impacts on comfort. Lightning is controlled by a silly system, the bathroom is a nightmare but the bed was very good and the location is great. I would rather go to any other nearby hotel, though...

• Stayed: July 2013