“Great Hotel - Best in Oslo”

First Hotel Grims Grenka
Ranked #50 of 100 Hotels in Oslo
“Great Hotel - Best in Oslo”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had an amazing stay. The staff are unbelievable and simply amazing. They provided us with the best service I have come across.
The reception has great knowledge on "what to do in Oslo" and what's a "must". They helped us with everything. Incredible service minded, happy and helpful from check in to check out.
We will definitely come back :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with FirstHotels.com

Linda S, General Manager at First Hotel Grims Grenka, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Greetings and thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your stay at First Hotel Grims Grenka.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and felt well taken care of by our staff during your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to hear that we make the guest feel special. Our front office staff take great pride in their knowledge of Oslo's sights and attractions, and also where to find the city's hidden gems...

I will naturally share this positive feedback with my dear colleagues.

Looking forward to your return - have a great summer!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed 13 June 2014

As a frequent recurring guest I have stayed many nights at Grims Grenka over the past 2 years, In an honest way I can say I never have been disappointed about anything. In a way I feel strongly this to be one of the best hotels in Scandinavia and for the following reasons
Service: One of the pillars that makes or breaks a hotel, in Grims Grenka's case it can be said that the staff from reception, restaurant, cleaning and management are top notch. Very welcoming and friendly. always there to help in a very professional matter.
Rooms: I had the opportunity to try have all the room types they offer. It can be best described as comfortable yet with the Scandinavian Design that provides the edge; some beds seem floating on light, programmed light settings according to you needs/mood, well designed bathrooms with excellent waterfall showers, rainfall showers and bath for the suites. Also the cleanliness is impeccable.
Restaurant/Bar/Breakfast; The restaurant is called Madu, and is well renowned for its Scandinavian Cuisine. Unfortunately due to my late arrivals I never managed to get there on time. The bar used to be a bit of a quiet place since I went the first time, but this has changed since the last months were it has been revamped. Its called Brooms and Hatchets and has very skilled and friendly bartenders who make a variety of world class cocktails wich they created with premium brands and even very rare ones. I tried quiet a few of them and.... well lets put it that way; they're delicious and I never woke up with a headache. They have a rooftop lounge bar which is just plain cool with a great view over Oslo, you just need a bit of luck with the weather. The bar food is prepared at the Madu kitchen and has a compact yet very tasty menu, the finger-food platter is a real treat for the eye as well as for your taste buds . Now going seamlessly to the breakfast. Shortly said, it is just my favorite in Scandinavia and can compete with the breakfast at the Grand Hotel in Stockholm. The chef is very kind and fixes up any request that you may have, its just always a great start of the day when you leave the breakfast table! Grims Grenka definitely is the place to go when in Oslo.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Linda S, General Manager at First Hotel Grims Grenka, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your wonderful review of our property.
Your positive comments are very good to read and I will forward your thoughts to all my dear colleagues. We feel that we provide a modern and exciting alternative - yet without the attitude - to both national and international guests visiting Oslo, and your kind words are really motivating and make us all want to go the extra mile.
Very proud that you consider Grims Grenka to be one of the best hotels in Scandinavia.
Humble regards and very much looking forward to your return!
Oslo
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Me and my spouse had a nice stay at Grims Grenka. The hotel is very well located in Oslo and we had a nice room with a very comfortable bed.

This is a design hotel and i would really recommend you to stay here when you visit this city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with FirstHotels.com

Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your stay at First Hotel Grims Grenka.
Our guests' feedback is very important to us, and I am very happy that you and your spouse enjoyed your stay with us.
We are also glad you appreciated the hotel's great location, your room and our comfortable Jensen beds that sometimes makes it really hard to get up in the morning...

I look forward to wish you welcome back to First Hotel Grims Grenka. Until then - have a nice summer!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Lured by books and travel advisors, we stayed at the Grims Grenka for four nights. If a design hotel means a very poorly lighted hall, restaurant and room, we are very surprised, if a design shower and toilet room means that you hardly have place to move inside even thought I weigh only 60 kilos, if design means no miroir in front of the sink to put and take off contact Lens, we will review our definition of design. If eco means lack of proper ventilation, we will also review our definition. Finally, looking more closely, we found that furniture and accessories tend to be on the cheap side.
The breakfast buffet stands at an excellent level. The front desk and room staff desserve a five star
degree of merit.
Finaly, the hotel is very well situated at a walking distance of many attractions.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Echodularge
Greetings and many thanks for taking the time to review our property.
As a member of the management team I will take all your comments into consideration and forward them to my colleagues.
We really appreciate your words of praise regarding our staff and our delicious breakfast buffet.
We also hope to welcome you back to Grims Grenka so we can provide you with a few factors that you felt were missing this time.
Have a great summer!
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I think that the recent bad reviews lowered my expectations. That, coupled with a good price, and a large room, led me to a very pleasant experience.
The hotel is modern, and that comes with two potential issues; decoration and lack of practicality. I felt fine with both. Yes, the room is dark, and yes, there are a few thing missing, like a place to hang towels near the shower.

But there are nice perks (like nespresso machines). The location is very good, and my room was very spacious. For the price I paid and in a city like Oslo, I felt very satisfied.

The staff was ok (helped me with a few needs and did not help at all with others). Breakfast was good, although there was not a lot of variety. The restaurant looked really nice. Did not have dinner there.

I will not give it 5 stars because there are a few signs of age/lack of attention in the room's maintenance. But overall I consider this a very good 4 star rating.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Greetings from Oslo and many thanks for your positive feedback.
Glad you had such a pleasant experience at Grims Grenka. We also appreciate your nice words about the great location and our spacious rooms.
I will take all your comments into consideration and forward to my colleagues, and we hope to see you again here soon. Have a great summer!
Alesund, Norway
Reviewed 29 May 2014

A surprisingly pleasent new hotel experience. Grims Grenska is exciting design, central location and in every way Value for Money. I was satsing here for business. Will definately come back also for pleasure and vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with FirstHotels.com

Linda S, General Manager at First Hotel Grims Grenka, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Greetings and many thanks for your positive feedback concerning Grims Grenka!
We have worked very hard to make a difference and glad that our effort made your stay a memorable one.
I would just like to add that your feedback is very much appreciated as it is a true and direct indication of the quality of our property and your stay.
Very much looking forward to your return!
Forde, Norway
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed two nights at this hotel. The air condition system was not adjustable: It was not possible to adjust the room temperature to a pleasant level during the night.
The staff in the Reception and the Restaurant was very positive, but the aircondition system results in at low rating .
Ok hotel to visit, if you don't mind sleeping in a sauna.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank gl0betr0tter1955
Greetings and many thanks for your feedback concerning your stay at Grims Grenka. Your positive comments concerning our staff are very pleasing. We also appreciate your constructive comments in regards to the heat control system in your room as we are always looking to improve the quality of our property. I will forward your thoughts to the technical manager to ensure that necessary improvements will be made.
Looking forward to your return.

Travellers are raving about these Oslo hotels